Interesting quandry in Church vs. State...(MERGED) (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/13/widows.suit.ap/index.html

Not sure where I would come down on this one. Apparently VA has made provisions for 38 'religious' symbols on military headstones. But they haven't allowed the pentacle/pentagram. On the one hand, it might be an administrative deal where they only pay for "x" symbols. On the other, the deceased in the service to the country should be allowed to have a religious or pagan symbol on their headstone if other religions are allowed. I'm thinking that satanism would probably be a stretch (baphamet's goat or whatever), but a pentagram might be reasonble.

I don't know.

:shrug:

TPS

Easiest thing to me is to allow the widows to put whatever they want on the headstone. Just give them a certain amount that is the max that can be spent on a single headstone.

The widow should be able to put the symbol of the religion her husband practiced. If it didn't matter to the government what his religion was while he served he country, why should they care after he died for said country?

You think this is causing a stink? Consider what would happen if a member of The Religion of Jesus Church wants the same right? Something tells me the Christian cross is not their symbol.

Easiest thing to me is to allow the widows to put whatever they want on the headstone. Just give them a certain amount that is the max that can be spent on a single headstone.

There is the solution right there. You avoid the government getting involved picking which religions are acceptable and which are not. It stuns me that people in government cannot come up with these solutions.

War Widows Sue For Wicca Tombstones

There's 38 authorized symbols that can be put on a government-issued tombstone.

DOD AUTHORIZED TOMBSTONE SYMBOLS
http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hm/hmemb.asp

There's 1,800 certified Wiccans in the armed forces.

War Widows File Suit Over Wiccan Symbol
Combat Veterans' Wives Sue Government To Get Wiccan Symbols On Headstones
WASHINGTON, Nov. 13, 2006

(AP) The widows of two combat veterans sued the government Monday for not allowing Wiccan symbols on their husbands' military headstones.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs allows military families to choose any of 38 authorized headstone images. The list includes commonly recognized symbols for Christianity, Buddhism, Islam and Judaism, as well as those for smaller religions such as Sufism Reoriented, Eckiankar and the Japanese faith Seicho-No-Ie.

The Wiccan pentacle, a five-pointed star surrounded by a circle, is not on the list, an omission that the widows say is unconstitutional.

READ MORE
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/13/national/main2177981.shtml

This has been going on for a while now, especially since the war started. I have no idea what the big deal is. If a Wiccan or any other follower of whatever religion choses to serve his country and passes away for whatever reason, let them have what symbols give them and their families peace.

And itsn't it interesting that the US gubbbbbbbbment will allow us to fight/serve but will not allow a mere symbol to be placed on a headstone ? Did I miss something here ?

(Y'all knew I'd jump on this one)

Last edited:
The Rev. William Chrystal, left, looks on as the Rev. Serena Fox describes the importance of the pentacle, a Wiccan religious symbol, at the American Freedom Rally, Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2006, in Reno, Nev. A federal lawsuit filed Monday Nov. 13, 2006 accuses the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs of violating the constitutional rights of Wiccans because the government does not allow its symbol on veterans' headstones in national cemeteries. (AP Photo/Debra Reid)

READ MORE
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/14/AR2006111400218.html

Last edited:
Whoa...that's a ton of "fruit salad" the Rev. Chrystal has there. And he's only a captain?

Whoa...that's a ton of "fruit salad" the Rev. Chrystal has there. And he's only a captain?
Not a captain...a major at least (hard to tell the tint of the oakleaf in the picture). And from the looks of it, most likely prior enlisted/prior warrant officer.

Oak leaf? Looks like gold bars to me, just above the cross on his lapel. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom