Interesting read: Mingo vs Montgomery (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"if I were making the selection I would choose Montgomery as I feel he is a more complete all-around player who should be able to challenge for a starting job as a rookie. Mingo reminds me a little of former Titans' pass rusher Jevon Kearse and current Bengals' pass rusher Aaron Maybin, while Montgomery is more like the Ravens Paul Kruger."

Rest of the article:

Compare & Contrast NFL Prospects - NFP Version 1.0 | National Football Post

I see both of them doing very well in the NFL. Mingo has the speed, athleticism, and strength to be a great edge rusher in a 3-4 defense. I don't know about his coverage skills but he is stronger than most give him credit for and he is super quick and very fast. If he goes to a team with a solid 3-4 LB corp already he will dominate, if he goes to a crappy team and is their only threat then he may not shine as bright.

Montgomery will be a very good/great 4-3 DE. I can see him being a better version of Will Smith (when he was younger). Very good at stopping the run and can get to the QB frequently. I don't know how he'd do as a 3-4 OLB but Sam seems to be someone who will work hard no matter what position he plays in, even if moved inside as a 3-tech on passing downs.

jevon kearse and aaron maybin should never be mentioned in the same sentence

was just about to say this.. Mingo at his worst in my opinion will be better than Maybin.. He's a very driven player just by watching him play on Saturdays, which is something Maybin isn't and never was.. As said already I think both Mingo and Montgomery will fair pretty well in the league but i think Mingo has the higher ceiling.. If ever he were to bulk up and still have that same motor and speed, his has Aldon Smith type potential.. Which is asking alot from a player who was basically the same size all 3 years of college but the potential is there

jevon kearse and aaron maybin should never be mentioned in the same sentence

Yeah, how can a player be simultaneously compared to an All Pro and a total bust?

I can understand the Kearse comparison based on size to speed ratio, but Kearse was way heavier at 260 to 272 lbs. Mingo is listed at 240 lbs and that might be generous.

The one thing I worry about with Mingo is wearing down due to his slender frame and not being able to rely on pure speed at the next level. I've watched his progress since he was here in West Monroe and he still seems to be the same size he was in high school. Seems like he can't gain or keep weight on.

Monty on the other hand is already 260 and ready to compete for a starting job. He doesn't have the God given speed that Mingo has but he's more complete and has a motor that doesn't stop.

Yea Mingo should be good and besides he did catch Lamichael James. How many DEs say they can do that?

Yeah, how can a player be simultaneously compared to an All Pro and a total bust?

I can understand the Kearse comparison based on size to speed ratio, but Kearse was way heavier at 260 to 272 lbs. Mingo is listed at 240 lbs and that might be generous.

The one thing I worry about with Mingo is wearing down due to his slender frame and not being able to rely on pure speed at the next level. I've watched his progress since he was here in West Monroe and he still seems to be the same size he was in high school. Seems like he can't gain or keep weight on.

Monty on the other hand is already 260 and ready to compete for a starting job. He doesn't have the God given speed that Mingo has but he's more complete and has a motor that doesn't stop.

Mingo was a 190 pound safety/lbin high school he's gained a lot of weight since then. Mingo is also a lot stronger than you think. If you really watched his games you'd see those flashes of power

Seems like all these defensive prospects have polarizing opinions.

Montgomary really reminds me of Andre Carter. I wouldn't move him to OLB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom