Interesting Rob Ryan stats (1 Viewer)

treeduck

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
In Ryan's nine seasons as a defensive coordinator, his offenses have given him a lead of at least eight points or more in 37 games.

In those 37 games, his teams have won 27 of them.

That's a percentage around the 75 mark. Considering the Saints offense, with Sean Payton at the helm, are a team that rarely gets turned away from scoring points, I'd say that that's a good percentage to go by. Having a coach on the defensive side of the ball that knows how to put his foot on the opponent's throat when they are down is great, especially when there is a coach on the offensive side that has that same mentality. Last time i checked, winning 75 percent of your games is a 12-4 season.

Starting to like Rob Ryan yet? How about another stat for you?

2013 New Orleans Saints: Maybe This Rob Ryan Guy Isn't Half Bad | Bleacher Report

OP
treeduck

treeduck

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Now, THAT's a good stat. And, 37 games out of 144 with an 8 point lead? Ugh.
Yeah but take into consideration who the offenses were and the best quarterback he ever had on one of his teams by a long way was Tony Romo.

max

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
On the negative side, in nine seasons as a defensive coordinator, his defense has finished in the top ten of the league only once.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
On the negative side, in nine seasons as a defensive coordinator, his defense has finished in the top ten of the league only once.
On the positive side, that was with Oakland, Cleveland and Dallas.

Reaction score
Because Oakland, Cleveland, and Dallas in 2012 were such talented, disciplined, and well-organized teams, am I right?

jackers

Voted Ron Paul - '08
Reaction score
I've shown in the other thread you started, http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/peter-kings-thoughts-ryan-hire-286786/ , that stat is in a vaccum. Not many yards separate the top defenses from the bottom ones. It's a lazy stat used by sloppy talking heads on ESPN and people like Peter King.

His terrible defense (19th last year) had a whopping 60 yards per game more than the 49ers (3rd last year).

GeaxSaints44

^^^ Not mispelled
Reaction score
We need to keep in mind that we don't need a number 1 rated defense here. That would be awesome, but is not a requirement. If we can get a run at the mill defense, or just dramatically cut down on the big plays, we could be a real threat. I feel that the combination of the switch to the 3-4 and a fiery coach will be just what we need.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Based on what stats? Probably should do a yards/TOP metric to do the comparison.

TXSAINTFAN

Music is Life
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
In Ryan's nine seasons as a defensive coordinator, his offenses have given him a lead of at least eight points or more in 37 games.

In those 37 games, his teams have won 27 of them.

That's a percentage around the 75 mark. Considering the Saints offense, with Sean Payton at the helm, are a team that rarely gets turned away from scoring points, I'd say that that's a good percentage to go by. Having a coach on the defensive side of the ball that knows how to put his foot on the opponent's throat when they are down is great, especially when there is a coach on the offensive side that has that same mentality. Last time i checked, winning 75 percent of your games is a 12-4 season.

Starting to like Rob Ryan yet? How about another stat for you?

2013 New Orleans Saints: Maybe This Rob Ryan Guy Isn't Half Bad | Bleacher Report
I approve of this stat.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
With a heavy oriental accent......."he is like Hong Kong supercop"!!

RiverRat

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I just hope our offense doesn't struggle like last year. I doubt it will, but I doubted it would last year too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom