Interesting Stat (Drew Brees) (2 Viewers)

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH>SPLITS</TH><TH title=Completions style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">CMP</TH><TH title="Pass attempts" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">ATT</TH><TH title="Passing yards" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">YDS</TH><TH title="Completion percentage" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">CMP%</TH><TH title="Yards per pass attempt" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">AVG</TH><TH title="Longest pass play" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">LNG</TH><TH title="Passing touchdowns" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">TD</TH><TH title="Interceptions thrown" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">INT</TH><TH title="Passer (QB) Rating" style="TEXT-ALIGN: right !important">RAT</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD>In Wins</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">84</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">120</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">937</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">70.0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7.81</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">87</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">102.0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD>In Losses</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">130</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">188</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">1,429</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">69.1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">7.60</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">98</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">11</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right">106.4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In wins, he throws less which means our run game is somewhat working.

In losses, he throws a lot more which means we are playing from behind and/or our run game is not working.

Numbers are almost the same as far as the stats look which just goes to show how consistent Brees is win or lose. We are so blessed to have a QB that we can almost always count on to keep us in the game.

With our defense coming back full force, I hope they can help out Drew to lift some weight off his shoulders. I will still be looking for Brees to carry us to another Super Bowl Championship if the opportunity is there. I feel like it's within reach, but everyone needs to start stepping up if it's going to happen again. I want Brees to get at least one more ring before he retires. He really deserves it!

Once Brees is gone, I think it'll be a while before we can find a true replacement, but if SP stays around, we might be lucky enough to find someone that can learn under Brees and SP.

Yeah there was a stat that I heard a few years ago that when Drew throws less than 35 times we were pretty unbeatable. I was shocked that Payton stuck with the run the way he did against Seattle. For a while we could get anything going. The numbers were ugly... like 14 rushes for 27 yards. But to Payton's credit he hung in there.

If he can have that kind of patience against Seattle I hope it carries over to these upcoming games. And yes... the defense should get much better with guys coming back form these injuries. I just wish Ellerbe was able to stay healthy.

I've seen the games where our passing game lights it up, we jump to an early big lead, and turn to the run game to control the clock. So in the box score it would suggest we should just run more and we'll win.

Numbers never lie.

But the truth isn't always revealed in the numbers.

I think the numbers aren't significantly different in our wins vs losses, which I thought was the OP's point. Brees has a better TD/INT ratio in the losses, so should we conclude he has to throw a pick for us to win?

I would never make a conclusion that "we should run more and we win" from looking at those stats. Correlation and causation being two different things and all.

I hate when the commentators bring up the stat about running the ball more means you win more games. It's not that simple. Usually if you're down or up your game plan changes. If your up by 21 points, you'll obviously be running the ball more and passing less to run the clock out. If you're down by 21 points, you'll pass more and run less to conserve time and score points. If you were down by 21 and ran the ball more, because stats say the more you run the better chance you have to win, you'll lose way more games than you win. The stat is basically useless. If there was a way to only consider close games and not blowouts, it may be more useful. Someone smart in the forum needs to do that research and get the real stats.

we just have less wins, don't see how you can draw conclusions from these numbers

Yeah there was a stat that I heard a few years ago that when Drew throws less than 35 times we were pretty unbeatable. I was shocked that Payton stuck with the run the way he did against Seattle. For a while we could get anything going. The numbers were ugly... like 14 rushes for 27 yards. But to Payton's credit he hung in there.

If he can have that kind of patience against Seattle I hope it carries over to these upcoming games. And yes... the defense should get much better with guys coming back form these injuries. I just wish Ellerbe was able to stay healthy.

Now that Armstead is back, and Peat continues to demonstrate why he was a reasonable first-round pick.....and Evans and Streif continue to drink from the fountain of youth, the line is pretty beastly. Armstead and Peat are VERY mobile, and pretty much everyone on the line can both run block and pass block reasonably well.

While I was a little disappointed in the goal-line rushing offense, if you don't have a back who can get to the edge, it makes it a hell of a lot easier for a really strong front seven to stone you between the tackles. You can risk shooting a DL one-gap because two guys can fill in behind, as you don't need extra guys on the edge.

But I'm getting pretty excited for this offense if we can keep the OL healthy. I have always said that the six most valuable Saints are Drew Brees and the five guys standing in front of him.

It's not just necessarily what Drew does, it's the game plan. Against Seattle the game plan was run the ball often no matter how many 2-3 yard gainers we got, and we stuck with it which opened up other areas.

Avg attempts per game

2006 34.6 (lost in NFC title game)
2007 40.8
2008 39.7
2009 34.3 (won Super Bowl)
2010 41.1
2011 41.1 (we averaged 70 plays a game, so the percentage of pass plays more in line with 06 and 09)
2012 41.9
2013 40.6
2014 41.2
2015 41.8

Our three most successful teams all ran the ball in a better balanced attack.

2011 was the greatest offense in NFL history averaging 467.1 yards per game. The Saints were 6th in the NFL in rushing at 132.9 yards per game, only bested by the 09 team.

Avg attempts per game

2006 34.6 (lost in NFC title game)
2007 40.8
2008 39.7
2009 34.3 (won Super Bowl)
2010 41.1
2011 41.1 (we averaged 70 plays a game, so the percentage of pass plays more in line with 06 and 09)
2012 41.9
2013 40.6
2014 41.2
2015 41.8

Our three most successful teams all ran the ball in a better balanced attack.

2011 was the greatest offense in NFL history averaging 467.1 yards per game. The Saints were 6th in the NFL in rushing at 132.9 yards per game, only bested by the 09 team.

As long as the run game is working and our defense is playing decent, we should be looking at another Championship!

Also of note, these guys are starting to ball and its not even halfway through the season:
Brandin Cooks - 530 yards
Michael Thomas - 500 yards
Willie Snead - 439 yards (missed one game; could be 500+)
Coby Fleener - 317 yards (finally starting to catch the ball)

Brees is bound to have 3000 yards with just three receivers. :exocet:

Once Brees is gone, I think it'll be a while before we can find a true replacement

No, I don't think there will ever be a true replacement for Drew Brees. He's one of a kind. A successor, yes - replacement, no.

But if we were to draft a QB this year, then the guy I like is Davis Webb. Guy's been lighting it up, posting amazing numbers. Most prolific passer in the nation. 6'5" 230 lbs.

Webb, a graduate transfer from Texas Tech, has completed 259 of 415 passes for 2,914 yards, with 29 touchdowns and eight interceptions, in Cal's "Bear Raid" attack. He is rated the No. 129 draft prospect by NFLDraftScout.com.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom