Interesting Stat for Drew Brees (and other Saints) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I was doing some research into the FA Tight Ends and Wide Receivers on Pro-Football-Reference, in particular Targets and Catch %, and some interesting stats/names popped out. I was getting bogged down in catch percentages consistently under 65% with very little targets. That could mean many different things, but that's not what this post is about. In pairing down the stats to what I considered really good, bordering on great, I started looking at WRs and TEs that had a minimum of 80 targets (5/game) and a minimum of 70% catch rate. If you want to see the raw data check out: http://pfref.com/tiny/U7Lg4

Since 1992, when they started tracking targets, the above stats were only reached 132 times. Of those only 35 were multiple times, 2 were Saints with them being Michael Thomas (2016, 2018) and Reggie Bush (2006, 2007). Note: I guess Pro-Football-Reference listed Bush as a slot type player because he's the only RB that showed up on the list even though I did not select to look at RBs. The other Saints on the list are Kenny Stills (2014), Marques Colston (2011), and Lance Moore (2010). If you're curious Jason Witten tops the list with achieving those stats a whopping 10 times.

I wanted to dig deeper to see if the QB had anything to do with it so I went and found the starting QB (or QB with the most starts for the given season). Low and behold, Drew tops the list with having players achieve those stats 9 times. He is two ahead of anyone with Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady both with 7 occurrences. Only 29 QBs had multiple occurrences.

Just another stat to add to Drew's resume for the GOAT.

Further, if you want to know, only 3 teams have NEVER had a player reach those milestones: Carolina, Jacksonville, and the Rams (both locations). I thought with all that "Greatest Show On Turf" business the Rams would have been there, but they aren't. Also, the Panthers just suck.

Of note, Bobby Hebert to Mike Pritchard in Atlanta did this is 1993.

With all of that being said, I'm on board with trying to sign Adam Humphries. He's had a mediocre (at best) QB throwing to him and is one the list twice. That just shows me he knows how to get open and is sure handed.

You got me down the rabbit hole. I wanted to see what the available TE stats looked like. I had to be much more lenient on how to filter it.

Here are available career TE stats with at least 2 targets per game:

TEs.jpg

Eifert really jumps out to me if he could ever be healthy.

Interesting to note that the single season catch % mark would have been set by 4 different players this year.

Even so, the separation between Michael Thomas and the rest of the pack shows just how special a year he had. Especially considering MT was targeted the 9th most times of anyone on that list and had the 3rd most yardage overall.

Think it's hard to argue based on this data that MT didn't just have one of, if not the most efficient seasons for a WR ever.

You got me down the rabbit hole. I wanted to see what the available TE stats looked like. I had to be much more lenient on how to filter it.

Here are available career TE stats with at least 2 targets per game:

TEs.jpg

Eifert really jumps out to me if he could ever be healthy.
Nick Boyle is intriguing

I was doing some research into the FA Tight Ends and Wide Receivers on Pro-Football-Reference, in particular Targets and Catch %, and some interesting stats/names popped out. I was getting bogged down in catch percentages consistently under 65% with very little targets. That could mean many different things, but that's not what this post is about. In pairing down the stats to what I considered really good, bordering on great, I started looking at WRs and TEs that had a minimum of 80 targets (5/game) and a minimum of 70% catch rate. If you want to see the raw data check out: http://pfref.com/tiny/U7Lg4

Since 1992, when they started tracking targets, the above stats were only reached 132 times. Of those only 35 were multiple times, 2 were Saints with them being Michael Thomas (2016, 2018) and Reggie Bush (2006, 2007). Note: I guess Pro-Football-Reference listed Bush as a slot type player because he's the only RB that showed up on the list even though I did not select to look at RBs. The other Saints on the list are Kenny Stills (2014), Marques Colston (2011), and Lance Moore (2010). If you're curious Jason Witten tops the list with achieving those stats a whopping 10 times.

I wanted to dig deeper to see if the QB had anything to do with it so I went and found the starting QB (or QB with the most starts for the given season). Low and behold, Drew tops the list with having players achieve those stats 9 times. He is two ahead of anyone with Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady both with 7 occurrences. Only 29 QBs had multiple occurrences.

Just another stat to add to Drew's resume for the GOAT.

Further, if you want to know, only 3 teams have NEVER had a player reach those milestones: Carolina, Jacksonville, and the Rams (both locations). I thought with all that "Greatest Show On Turf" business the Rams would have been there, but they aren't. Also, the Panthers just suck.

Of note, Bobby Hebert to Mike Pritchard in Atlanta did this is 1993.

With all of that being said, I'm on board with trying to sign Adam Humphries. He's had a mediocre (at best) QB throwing to him and is one the list twice. That just shows me he knows how to get open and is sure handed.
Good post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom