Interesting Stat (1 Viewer)

JimEverett

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
heard it on radio, not sure if true

Since the addition of USC and Arkansas no coach has won an SEC title who had won fewer than 9 games by his second year as coach

heard it on radio, not sure if true

Since the addition of USC and Arkansas no coach has won an SEC title who had won fewer than 9 games by his second year as coach

Probably a little less impressive if you consider that basically only the elite SEC programs have really sniffed Atlanta over that time. Also the SEC typically beats up on horrible to mediocre competition for a majority of their schedule. Getting to 9 wins is tough, but not extremely hard in a 12 game schedule with mostly creampuff OOC games. And does that 9th game include a bowl game win?

I mean, it's still good and it is interesting. I don't think it's super shocking though.

I can't remember when either of those two schools were added, so perhaps it's been a really long time and is therefore more impressive? And when did we go to a 12 schedule from 11?

Probably a little less impressive if you consider that basically only the elite SEC programs have really sniffed Atlanta over that time. Also the SEC typically beats up on horrible to mediocre competition for a majority of their schedule. Getting to 9 wins is tough, but not extremely hard in a 12 game schedule with mostly creampuff OOC games. And does that 9th game include a bowl game win?

I mean, it's still good and it is interesting. I don't think it's super shocking though.

I can't remember when either of those two schools were added, so perhaps it's been a really long time and is therefore more impressive? And when did we go to a 12 schedule from 11?

People have usually said 3 years is the standard for seeing if a coach will be successful, but this suggests its simply 2.
Although i think you are right, but many of the coaches with a championship took over programs that were in a rut.

People have usually said 3 years is the standard for seeing if a coach will be successful, but this suggests its simply 2.
Although i think you are right, but many of the coaches with a championship took over programs that were in a rut.

Out of 12 programs, I think Kentucky, Vandie, Ole Miss and MSU for starters probably have never won an SEC championship in that time. You might be able to add USC and Arkansas to that list as well since they were only relevent with Petrino and Spurrier?

That's like half the SEC right there. The remaining conference championship schools kept winning the championships in those years, so if the coach is championship caliber, he's going to stay at that school for many years most likely and win several in his tenure.

Shoot, even Zooker was an amazing recruiter at Florida, so I doubt most of those guys inherited a huge mess in terms of talent to begin with.

Saban even had a few pieces to work with from Dinardo once he arrived.

I still think it's an interesting stat, especially on the surface. However if you really look at it, then it's not quite as impressive as it sounds.

The list of coaches that accomplished this include guys like Spurrier, Saban, Meyer, etc. These are hall-of-fame type coaches, so not really super surprising that could achieve this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom