Interesting Stats (1 Viewer)

bnogge1

Reaction score
Overall Offense 7th
Overall Defense 13th
Passing Offense 3rd in NFL, 2nd in NFC
Pass Defense 9th in NFL, 2nd in NFC

Our secondary has been taking some heat lately and for most of the season but compared to the rest of the league we're not doing so bad.

That is what I was wondering when I read the first post, what are we against the run. We must tighten up the run defense. I can promise you that this will be the area that will make or break us for the year. You cannot go to the playoffs or be real successfull without a strong run defense. The NFL goes like this, run the ball and stop the run. It is that simple. If you can do those two things successfully you will win more games than you lose. Great numbers against the pass unfortunately it is the run that counts the most. 21st is better than last year but still down towards the bottom.

Last edited:
i still havent' figured that one out, we had stopped the run pretty well.. actually pretty dang good. Right up till the 8:45 mark of the 4th quarter in the Panthers game..
What the heck killed our run defense, that it hasn't recovered.

That is extremely enlightening. Thanks for that great info. And in response on RebSaint, we will have to see if our run D will be able to improve in this upcoming matchup against the Caddy.

Overall Offense 7th
Overall Defense 13th
Passing Offense 3rd in NFL, 2nd in NFC
Pass Defense 9th in NFL, 2nd in NFC

Our secondary has been taking some heat lately and for most of the season but compared to the rest of the league we're not doing so bad.

73% completion percentage vs Baltimore.

I had thought, up until last week, the secondary had played well. But the secondary took a dive last week vs Baltimore. Baltimore converted a number of 3rd and longs on passes. The completion percentage was ridiculous. We just couldn't get them off the field when we really needed a spark in the first half.

Not blaming the pass defense entirely, but we really needed some key stops to dig ourselves out of a hole and we never got them until it was to late.

Saints INT's

Bullocks: 1
Stoutmire: 1
Fujita: 2

Thats it, only 4 INT's for the year. We are tied with Tampa and San Fran with 4. Detroit and Miami have 3, Washington has 2 and Houston has 1. So basically we are tied for 5th in the league in fewest INT's.

Also, we are -4 in the turnover diferential, witch is tied for 6th in the league for worst. We have recovered more fumbles (5) than we have intercepted passes.

i still havent' figured that one out, we had stopped the run pretty well.. actually pretty dang good. Right up till the 8:45 mark of the 4th quarter in the Panthers game..
What the heck killed our run defense, that it hasn't recovered.

That is exactly right!

We started out GREAT!.....first 3 games we were top 7, or 8 in RUN DEFENSE.....we went great against the Panthers for 3.5 qts......THEN OUR RUN D COLLAPSED!.......and got progressively worse every game!

I heard different theories that teams do not game-plan against opponents untill week 4.....maybe that was the reason....but we gave up like 85 yds against the Browns.....65 yds against the Packs......and only 115 yds against the Falcons.......A REMARKABLE ACHIEVMENT!

then our run D collapsed........and since then....it stinks!

Run defense!

As BiloxiSaint1 has said before, we lost Ninkovich to IR and Whitehead has missed the last 4 weeks (elbow I think). We claimed Antwan Lake off waivers preseason, but he's still learning and has trouble shedding blocks. We put Eric Moore on the roster, but again there's a learning curve. Getting Leisle back has helped some, but the rotation isn't what it could be at the moment.
Apart from that, there is little rotation on the D-line.
I don't know Whitehead's status for this Sunday- he was questionable for the Ravens game.
We need to get these guys on the field at the same time.

That is exactly right!

We started out GREAT!.....first 3 games we were top 7, or 8 in RUN DEFENSE.....we went great against the Panthers for 3.5 qts......THEN OUR RUN D COLLAPSED!.......and got progressively worse every game!

I heard different theories that teams do not game-plan against opponents untill week 4.....maybe that was the reason....but we gave up like 85 yds against the Browns.....65 yds against the Packs......and only 115 yds against the Falcons.......A REMARKABLE ACHIEVMENT!

then our run D collapsed........and since then....it stinks!
A lot of it is the rotation- two of the guys (Lake & Moore) there are still learning the Saints D. Once we get Whitehead back, and the other two get their gaps right (mainly Lake, gaps are more important for a lineman that can't shed well, and Moore is primarily a DE) the defense should gel. This is what Grant was talking about the other day- they are still getting used to each other. It will be nice to have 4 DE's and 4 tackles in rotation, I don't think that's happened this year. I'm hoping Whitehead gets back soon, and that his elbow doesn't impede him eating blocks.

Yep. It'll be an achilles heel throughout the season, because it means more time which the Saints offense is off the field, which is a not a good thing.

IMO that will be the deciding factor in whether or not the Saints make the playoffs. We MUST improve vs the run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom