Interesting video of wealth inequality (1 Viewer)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have already seen this elsewhere.. Just thought I'd share since it does a great job of displaying the disparities seen here and comparing them with what people think..

http://mashable.com/2013/03/02/wealth-inequality/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QPKKQnijnsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
The term distribution implies that there should be eqaul parts divided based on a given supply pool. Is this what you believe money is in this country?

OP
Beast

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The term distribution implies that there should be eqaul parts divided based on a given supply pool. Is this what you believe money is in this country?
No, and I don't think the term distribution implies anything about equality..

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
No, and I don't think the term distribution implies anything about equality..
If you are talking about inequality then you think that some should be taken from one and given to another right?

Or the system should change to make it so there can be no inequality.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If you are talking about inequality then you think that some should be taken from one and given to another right?

Or he could just be talking about ensuring that average wages increase at the same rate of the economy to ensure a healthy and productive middle class.

jcollins9

Bring The WOOD!
Reaction score

Or he could just be talking about ensuring that average wages increase at the same rate of the economy to ensure a healthy and productive middle class.
Those things sound identical. How exactly do you "ensure" that people get what some bureaucrat thinks they are entitled to?

Maybe wage and price controls? Yeah, those have always worked. Just how do you plan on ensuring equality?

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Those things sound identical. How exactly do you "ensure" that people get what some bureaucrat thinks they are entitled to?

Maybe wage and price controls? Yeah, those have always worked. Just how do you plan on ensuring equality?
I don't see where those two statements are identical, nor where TechDawg is arguing to do away with inequality / achieve equality across the system.

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons

jcollins9

Bring The WOOD!
Reaction score
So just how much control should the government have over the economy? Again, I ask, wage and price controls by the federal government?

OP
Beast

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, there's apparently a long thread on this on the EE.. Didn't see that there as I haven't frequented the EE in quite awhile..

shane

All-Pro
Reaction score
Do you believe that if the economy contracts that the average wage should decrease at the same rate?

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
And this being done by law? SO the government is to tell businesses how much they need to pay people?

Are you saying minimum wage should be enough to ensure a middle class lifestyle?

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The government does need to control business and does to this very day. People take it so for granted that are able to live a middle class or higher lifestyle that they don't even pay attention to the history they learned in school. We'd have children in coal mines, guys camped down there for days at a time, cheaper machinery that would regularly take off fingers and dump guys out of a job with no recourse for the injury without government. Business purely should be in the interest of doing what's most profitable regardless of moral right or wrong. It's up to the community with an elected government in charge of enforcement to establish limits. We can argue about where the limits lie, but yes, one of the most fundamental purposes of government is to protect citizens from each other whether it be from crimes of violence or property or economic abuse.

Even at the more bourgeois level we have laws that if your business wants to tighten things up they can't insist you work 65 hours instead of 40 with no breaks and no overtime or quit, because business is in a recession (they would if the option were there).

The debate at hand is to what degree it's in the interest all people to ensure that some people aren't working for wages that mean they don't get a fair chance at self-subsistence and whether or not the policies the government uses to regulate business and taxes wind up concentrating wealth at the top and out of the general economic system for all of us.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And this being done by law? SO the government is to tell businesses how much they need to pay people?

Are you saying minimum wage should be enough to ensure a middle class lifestyle?
A have a few questions for you, since you seem so fond of asking them.

Do you believe that the average CEO works 380 times harder than the average american worker (because that's how they're compensated)?

Do you believe believe there is an issue with the wealth disparity in this country? If not what point does it become an issue? Currently the bottom 80% own 7% of the wealth in this country. Does it become a problem when the bottom 80% own 4% of the wealth in this country? What about when the bottom 80% own 1% of the wealth?

I guess my question is regardless of how we go about correcting the trend or introducing any fixes, do you believe there is a problem? Or is everything just hunky dory?

RussTKD

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A have a few questions for you, since you seem so fond of asking them.

Do you believe that the average CEO works 380 times harder than the average american worker (because that's how they're compensated)?

Do you believe believe there is an issue with the wealth disparity in this country? If not what point does it become an issue? Currently the bottom 80% own 7% of the wealth in this country. Does it become a problem when the bottom 80% own 4% of the wealth in this country? What about when the bottom 80% own 1% of the wealth?

I guess my question is regardless of how we go about correcting the trend or introducing any fixes, do you believe there is a problem? Or is everything just hunky dory?
Before you answer that, see Brazil.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WATCH: Week 7 preview video, Saints set to welcome our old pal Teddy B. Saints RSS News Feeds 0