International TV shows (Netflix, et al) (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so, I'm really enjoying watching International TV shows - I get the basic TV entertainment but also get some grounds' eye view of different cultures
i think it started with Vikings/Last Kingdom (but historical dramas can get cheesy fast) - but I have enjoyed several brit period dramas (peaky blinders, penny dreadful, ripper street, frankensttein chronicles kinda)- also Babylon Berlin was damn good
so far the genres i seem to gravitate to most are:
spy/thriller (Occupied - EXCELLENT, Fauda -INCREDIBLE, Luther, Broadchurch, et al) - would love more non-brit versions of this
sci/fantasy - Dark, Humans (on Amazon) - AMAZING, 3%, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell, The Rain, Kiss Me First (meh)

what else you got?
any additional suggestions?

We watch a lot of international TV series in our house, also because of how they offer entry into other countries' points of view, but they're mostly in genres like political drama and comedy. It's been five years since Borgen wrapped, but I still consider it one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Another fascinating show that's now sadly concluded is the Israeli comedy series Arab Labor, written by the great Israeli-Arab author Sayed Kashua (who now lives in the U.S.)--hard to find but worth the effort. We also have a weak spot for lighthearted cop show guilty pleasures like Death in Paradise and The Murdoch Mysteries.

One older series that does fit the spy/thriller category, and that we found exceptional, was Deutschland '83--so far, only one season is available but I understand another one is now in production.

Some shows not mentioned, we've really enjoyed The Fall, Happy Valley and Last Tango in Halifax on Netflix. All British shows.

Les Revenants. Its a French show, and subtitled, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's on Netflix.

Also, the Bridge is pretty good, and on Hulu. It's a Scandinavian show.

Last edited:
Les Revenants. Its a French show, and subtitled, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's on Netflix.

Also, the Bridge is pretty good, and on Hulu. It's a Scandinavian show.
I’ve been looking for French/Spanish/Italian shows
Will check out

I watched the US/Mexico The Bridge - enjoyed the autistic female lead

so, I'm really enjoying watching International TV shows - I get the basic TV entertainment but also get some grounds' eye view of different cultures
i think it started with Vikings/Last Kingdom (but historical dramas can get cheesy fast) - but I have enjoyed several brit period dramas (peaky blinders, penny dreadful, ripper street, frankensttein chronicles kinda)- also Babylon Berlin was damn good
so far the genres i seem to gravitate to most are:
spy/thriller (Occupied - EXCELLENT, Fauda -INCREDIBLE, Luther, Broadchurch, et al) - would love more non-brit versions of this
sci/fantasy - Dark, Humans (on Amazon) - AMAZING, 3%, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell, The Rain, Kiss Me First (meh)

what else you got?
any additional suggestions?

Loved Dark. Incredible show.
Fawlty Towers and Misfits were both great too, imo.

Money Heist - Spanish show - 8.7 on IMDB if that matters to you

A criminal mastermind who goes by "The Professor" has a plan to pull off the biggest heist in recorded history -- to print billions of euros in the Royal Mint of Spain. To help him carry out the ambitious plan, he recruits eight people with certain abilities and who have nothing to lose. The group of thieves take hostages to aid in their negotiations with the authorities, who strategize to come up with a way to capture The Professor. As more time elapses, the robbers prepare for a showdown with the police.

The Bridge is really good, about collaboration between police departments in Scandinavian countries.

In our house we love the new Sherlock, with Benedict Cumberbatch.

And of course, Narcos on Netflix.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom