Internet date usage (2 Viewers)

Just checked pi-hole and it says it is blocking about 65% of DNS queries. That helps show how many ads are out there, even if they are not taking up that percentage of bandwidth.

Of course depending on how many sources you use to get ad domains, you could block more or fewer. Mine is currently blocking about 767k domains.
I have whitelisted a few and you can easily ad domains to whitelists.
Is it possible to do this kind of thing without Raspberry Pi? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm not game for even a gentle learning curve -- just no time for it.

Generally speaking, two things eat your data.

HD or UHD streaming. And big data downloads like downloading big video games.

4k is presenting a new challenge for me. But this is what I did a few years ago. .

The kids YouTube all day like it is a radio. 75% of the time they dont watch, just listen.

1. I taught the kids to run youtube at the lowest resolution. HD isnt allowed unless for something important. 480 is often good enough to see. 160 works to just listen. It took a while, but the 14 yr old is a champ at this now.. for years.

2. I turned the kids fire tv sticks down to 720p. No 1080p for little TVs.

3. I pay attention to how many games I download. And at the end of the month, if well under my data limit, I catch up on ones to add to my external drive.

Generally speaking, two things eat your data.

HD or UHD streaming. And big data downloads like downloading big video games.

4k is presenting a new challenge for me. But this is what I did a few years ago. .

The kids YouTube all day like it is a radio. 75% of the time they dont watch, just listen.

1. I taught the kids to run youtube at the lowest resolution. HD isnt allowed unless for something important. 480 is often good enough to see. 160 works to just listen. It took a while, but the 14 yr old is a champ at this now.. for years.

2. I turned the kids fire tv sticks down to 720p. No 1080p for little TVs.

3. I pay attention to how many games I download. And at the end of the month, if well under my data limit, I catch up on ones to add to my external drive.
Your dad made you turn out the lights when left a room, huh?

Is it possible to do this kind of thing without Raspberry Pi? I'm sure it's simple, but I'm not game for even a gentle learning curve -- just no time for it.

You can update the DNS forwarders in your router using something like AdGuard, but you don't have any control over what's being blocked. I have mine set, but if I click on a sponsored link in Amazon (for example), it'll be blocked. So you have to be able to deal with some links and site functionality being broken, as well as taking them at their word they aren't doing anything with your data.

Probably not. What does your netgear app do?

allows me to see traffic meter and turn access on:eek:ff for devices. Along with trivial stuff like speed test.

update: walked through some of the steps and it told me I had downloaded the wrong chk file. I had the model right but it did say it was beta. I’m going to halt because I had to reset all defaults and internet was obviously down. If I screw this up tonight we will all be at war by the time I get it back right lol.

allows me to see traffic meter and turn access on:eek:ff for devices. Along with trivial stuff like speed test.

update: walked through some of the steps and it told me I had downloaded the wrong chk file. I had the model right but it did say it was beta. I’m going to halt because I had to reset all defaults and internet was obviously down. If I screw this up tonight we will all be at war by the time I get it back right lol.

Remember that if you have things coded with IP addresses, those may have to be changed. The new firmware will have a default addressing scheme, and you would lose any DHCP reservations you have, etc. DHCP should be turned on when you install it, so if you are using default stuff across your network, you should be fine.

cox sent me my first data usage notice last week.

at least cox bought me dinner after.

Your dad made you turn out the lights when left a room, huh?
When the kids running youtube 24/7 on HD and they haven't looked at the screen for 3 hours (or that tab is minimized while playing games) yeah, they're getting that sheet turned down.

Remember that if you have things coded with IP addresses, those may have to be changed. The new firmware will have a default addressing scheme, and you would lose any DHCP reservations you have, etc. DHCP should be turned on when you install it, so if you are using default stuff across your network, you should be fine.

I used almost everything at default. The other thing, I had not thought of until now, is that I let my ex put Disney circle on it to control her sons game time. I have to figure out if that will still work also. It’s nothing much that the router didn’t already do but it’s got an interface she can understand and allows you to neatly collect all devices for a user under a user profile for automatic on off and group control.

Hopefully the data caps aren't going to hit everywhere anytime soon. I enjoy my unlimited Spectrum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom