Internet date usage (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I had a thread on the Tech board but, regrettably, the tech board doesn't get nearly the exposure it used to. So I would like to expand this to a general audience since I am sure we all have been on some data plan at some point

The issue is that we are going just slightly over our cap in data each month. We don't mind going to an unlimited plan if its what we need but most months we are fine. Tracking which device is using all the data seems like it should be easier than it actually is. I have a Motorola modem and I Neatgear Nighthawk router. According to the routers data meter we are not using as much as cox says. But I can't track it to an actual device.

We reset the router, turned off guest network, and changed the password. I know a little about wireshark and can use it for a point in time look. Anyone well versed in wireshark that can tell me which reports I actually want to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Online recommends possibly using an open source firmware that would give me more tracking options. DD-WRT and Gargoyle are the ones I saw mentioned. I am a little hesitant to do this but I will if that is the best option. Anyone else find similar difficulty in identifying a hog?

Which Motorala gateway do you have?

I had a thread on the Tech board but, regrettably, the tech board doesn't get nearly the exposure it used to. So I would like to expand this to a general audience since I am sure we all have been on some data plan at some point

The issue is that we are going just slightly over our cap in data each month. We don't mind going to an unlimited plan if its what we need but most months we are fine. Tracking which device is using all the data seems like it should be easier than it actually is. I have a Motorola modem and I Neatgear Nighthawk router. According to the routers data meter we are not using as much as cox says. But I can't track it to an actual device.

We reset the router, turned off guest network, and changed the password. I know a little about wireshark and can use it for a point in time look. Anyone well versed in wireshark that can tell me which reports I actually want to look at would be greatly appreciated.

Online recommends possibly using an open source firmware that would give me more tracking options. DD-WRT and Gargoyle are the ones I saw mentioned. I am a little hesitant to do this but I will if that is the best option. Anyone else find similar difficulty in identifying a hog?

Speaking generally, I've used DD-WRT in the past (not for tracking usage) and it's pretty good. IIRC, it improved the performance of my router as well. One thing to check is if it's compatible with your router - they lag a bit behind the most up to date models.

Speaking generally, I've used DD-WRT in the past (not for tracking usage) and it's pretty good. IIRC, it improved the performance of my router as well. One thing to check is if it's compatible with your router - they lag a bit behind the most up to date models.

this is what I am currently researching. I generally like opensource software. Never really did much in firmware but I am willing to go that route(r) as long as I can return to default with relative ease.

reading through this now https://www.myopenrouter.com/articl...en-source-firmware-netgear-r8000-nighthawk-x6

this is what I am currently researching. I generally like opensource software. Never really did much in firmware but I am willing to go that route(r) as long as I can return to default with relative ease.

Linksys used to have a problem returning to the old firmware because of a lack of memory and the way it was partitioned, but it was well documented. I think that would be less of a problem nowadays.

How much data is Cox saying you are using? How much streaming do you do?

A lot of internet traffic is ads. You can build some raspberry pi pi-hole ad blockers and it will help you not use as much bandwidth for ad traffic.

I have 2 pi zeros so there is some redundancy that have been working great for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom