Internet date usage (1 Viewer)

Well in a model T you could go anywhere with roads. Not really true dialing into a BBS.
i could go anywhere that had a dial up modem to connect too. lol

I remember there was one in Baton Rouge that i used the most (cannot remember the name) that at a certain time at night would connect with multiple other BBS from out of town and they would update the info on all the forums with those.. It was the internet in its infancy.

I have no idea why the firmware migration would not take. I followed the FDC ID to the gov site to verify the chipset. Everything about my router points to the R8000 model. But when I tried to upload it said wrong chk file. I think I would need to get deeply invested in their forum to figure it out.

I was fine without going over the cap for a long time with COX, But when Covid happened, kids were home all day , wife was home all day and we started going over. But i think what pushed me over the edge, was when i got the 4K TV. Streaming in 4K shot me way over. Luckily where i live, we have options. I switched to EATEL and they do not have a data cap, and its the same price.

Started back in like 89 or 90 I had a C64 then an Amiga and would dial up to the local BB's and surf the forums and download games.

Streaming 4K without unlimited data is rough.

ah! This is useful. I just got back on Netflix and they gave me 4K to try for a month free. I don’t even have a 4K TV yet so I need to turn that off. Thanks.

You don't need to turn it off, you can't watch it without the tv so it won't show up as an option. That also means that you may want to get a cheaper package if you wind up keeping it.

You don't need to turn it off, you can't watch it without the tv so it won't show up as an option. That also means that you may want to get a cheaper package if you wind up keeping it.
The other benefit of that package is how many different people can stream at once.

Now I am seeing conflicting info. It seems that a raspberry pie can be set up to do all this and more. But I see elsewhere that without firmware capable of it on the router, it simply can’t be done. I’m not afraid of a pi project but it’s obviously a lot of work if it doesn’t work on my router. More digging to do unless someone knows the answer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom