Internet Explorer 8: Crash, Restart, Crash (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Once again, we've got a new Microsoft product that...uh...well, it "doesn't play well with others." :hihi:

Internet Explorer 8: Crash, Restart, Crash
By Max Brenn
14:30, March 6th 2008

Seeing how, unlike its ancestor, Internet Explorer benefits from Active Recovery, it all transformed into an endless cycle of restarts of the tab I was in, all accompanied by error messages notifying me that Google Toolbar is to be blamed for the problems.

READ MORE
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Internet_Explorer_8_Crash_Restart_Crash_14848.html

PC World was a bit kinder with their headlines. :)

Hands-on With Microsoft's Internet Explorer 8 Beta
An apparent conflict with toolbars from Google and Yahoo yields an interesting first experience with IE8's beta.
PC World
Wednesday, March 5, 2008; 9:19 PM

According to Microsoft, Automatic Crash Recovery (ACR) can recover browser tabs to "prevent the loss of work and productivity in the unlikely event of the browser crashing or hanging." Unfortunately, I experienced plenty of browser crashes and hanging in my use of the IE8 beta, as installed on Windows XP with Service Pack 2 with Google and Yahoo Toolbars installed...

...Repeat. Repeat. After four rounds of this, I ended up having to end the program through Task Manager.

READ MORE
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/05/AR2008030503239.html

Once again IE is copying features from Firefox.

Of course, it is beta - that's when these things are supposed to happen.

Good ole IE. I still think IE6 ws the most reliable one that ive used.

Sidenote: Most problems I see with IE is toolbar related.

ok, we are badmouthing a "BETA" for crashing?? it's BETA for crying out loud..
and google has been after microsoft good for a while now.... i wouldn't put it past them

It is far more likely that Microsoft is trying to force you to use it's search engines and make it difficult to use Google or Yahoo. Does anyone remember how IE used to deactivate Netscape years ago.

Face it. They're evil and this product is one more example of what they're all about.

The same thing happened with IE7. When I tried to upgrade to IE7 on a new Dell desktop we bought last year (it had shipped with IE6 and Google Desktop pre-installed) it crashed and refused to restart properly; I had to use System Recover to get it back to IE6. (I still haven't had the nerve to try deleting Google and then upgrading to IE7--which is what Microsoft suggests).

Anybody care to go down the list of programs that had no problems with IE or Windows, until Microsoft came out with their own version of a similar application? :hihi:

One of the busiest blogs on the net, LittleGreenFootballs tried it and says:

IE8: A Mess
Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:14:08 pm PST

I can now look forward to spending more hours of my life, fixing more IE-only problems.

And that’s not all; before installing, be aware that it wipes out whichever previous version of IE you have installed without warning you, and changes all your settings including your homepage.

READ MORE
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=29164_IE8-_A_Mess&only

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom