iPhone 7, 7 Plus and Apple Watch 2 announced today (1 Viewer)

So I bought the new Galaxy Note 7 when it was released. Now with the recall, I'm faced with either exchanging it for another phone or waiting until the new replacement GN 7's are released with out the exploding battery.

Should I consider switching to an Iphone 7? I've never owned an Iphone or really any apple product. I've always just been more android oriented. So I don't know what I'll be loosing/gaining if I switch. An insight from users who have experience with both?

I've been back and forth from android to ios since probably 2009.

Really what you gain with iOS is stability. What you lose is customization. If you want a phone that never crashes, isn't cluttered with bloatware from your cell company or a bunch of notifications and "information overload" in the status bar--i'd probably go with an iphone.

That being said I did love the customization with android..to be able to install apps from outside the Google play store was cool..but most of the cool features I loved with Android was just aesthetic value and loving Android's buttery OS. Widgets weren't really a dealbreaker. In all honesty apps that work like they are supposed to 99% of the time would be more important to me than changing the way the app looks or rearranging the home screen several times a week. Plus, you can jailbreak the iphone if that suits your fancy so you CAN change the icons, homescreen, get extra tweaks etc. I've just found I don't meddle around with it as much as I used to.

Supposedly there isn't a 7s this generation. They're going to go straight to the iPhone 8, which will be a signficant upgrade (no physical homebutton, wrap-around screen, etc).

My 6 is still pretty functional as well. I'll probably wait for the 8.

I'm intrigued with the camera (that's usually what propels me towards upgrading every two years), but my 6+ is still performing very well so I'll likely wait until the next refresh in 2017 to upgrade. This will actually be the first time since I got the first iPhone that I won't be following the 2-years-then-upgrade pattern.

I preordered an iPhone 7+ 128gb last week. I use my phone a lot at work in wet/damp conditions so the water resistance is a big plus. I've actually been using an iPhone 4 for a little over a month. My wife got a new job and had to give up her company supplied phone. So I gave her my 6+ knowing I'd be getting the 7. I dug the 4 out of a junk drawer, it kind of holds a charge, and it sort of works (very slow/buggy, some apps don't work). Needless to say I am ready for the upgrade....

Just thought i'd give a brief follow-up review of the 128 gb 7 Plus I got last week.

Overall, it is nothing radically different from the 6 plus. But it is extremely solid. The biggest change i've noticed is the "snappyness" of switching between apps. It is slick as butter and there's no lag on any app whatsoever so far.

Coming from an iphone 6 plus..

The camera
It is sharper, and the zoom feature is pretty good. I haven't been able to really take a lot of pictures, but the ones I have taken look as good as the S7's. The front facing camera is a lot sharper, which should be a useful feature if you facetime a lot or take selfies

The battery life...
ok, this is one of the biggest surprises so far for me. I've heard a lot of complaints about the battery life of the 7/7 plus..But my first week, i've noticed what I estimate to be a 15-25% longevity in battery life in an average day of use. The battery life is SOLID. Maybe this is what apple was trying to accomplish with their meager addition to the battery. I can't speak for the 7, but I bought the 7 plus for the battery life and extra screen real estate, and I'm happy with it.

Touch ID Haptic feedback...
Coming from never having experienced "3D touch", it is a nice little feature, but I don't find myself using it very often. The transition from the physical depression of the home button to the haptic response of the new flush home button has been pretty seamless for me. Perhaps this is because i've meddled in the past with android phones and am used to haptic response, but I've had no problems with it, and it is not "weird" for me. Although sometimes when holding down an app to get rid of it, you have to be careful to get that "perfect balance" of pressure in order not to summon the 3D touch gesture instead. Small issue.

Headphone jack, or rather "lack thereof"
This has been a minor issue at best as well. The audio seems to sound just a bit more crisp. Maybe this is not the case but i've heard that the lightning jack produces better audio quality. It's weird using the dongle in the car to play my tunes and i'm sure i'll lose it eventually. The lightning headphones work just as well as any other headphone jack ones would. I'm going to buy the airpods for christmas and see how well they pair, but the headphone jack deal hasn't really been a "deal" at all for me. Well, provided I don't lose the dongle and lightning headphones!

Overall, this phone could be considered solid. It is probably going to be "meh" if you are coming from a 6S plus, in which case I recommend waiting a year. If you can't wait another year to upgrade and you have a 6/6 plus, I can definitely recommend it. The apps run super smooth, everything is fluid and works as it should, the camera is really nice, and the battery life is awesome (on the 7 plus).

Just thought i'd give a brief follow-up review of the 128 gb 7 Plus I got last week.

Overall, it is nothing radically different from the 6 plus. But it is extremely solid. The biggest change i've noticed is the "snappyness" of switching between apps. It is slick as butter and there's no lag on any app whatsoever so far.

Coming from an iphone 6 plus..

The camera
It is sharper, and the zoom feature is pretty good. I haven't been able to really take a lot of pictures, but the ones I have taken look as good as the S7's. The front facing camera is a lot sharper, which should be a useful feature if you facetime a lot or take selfies

The battery life...
ok, this is one of the biggest surprises so far for me. I've heard a lot of complaints about the battery life of the 7/7 plus..But my first week, i've noticed what I estimate to be a 15-25% longevity in battery life in an average day of use. The battery life is SOLID. Maybe this is what apple was trying to accomplish with their meager addition to the battery. I can't speak for the 7, but I bought the 7 plus for the battery life and extra screen real estate, and I'm happy with it.

Touch ID Haptic feedback...
Coming from never having experienced "3D touch", it is a nice little feature, but I don't find myself using it very often. The transition from the physical depression of the home button to the haptic response of the new flush home button has been pretty seamless for me. Perhaps this is because i've meddled in the past with android phones and am used to haptic response, but I've had no problems with it, and it is not "weird" for me. Although sometimes when holding down an app to get rid of it, you have to be careful to get that "perfect balance" of pressure in order not to summon the 3D touch gesture instead. Small issue.

Headphone jack, or rather "lack thereof"
This has been a minor issue at best as well. The audio seems to sound just a bit more crisp. Maybe this is not the case but i've heard that the lightning jack produces better audio quality. It's weird using the dongle in the car to play my tunes and i'm sure i'll lose it eventually. The lightning headphones work just as well as any other headphone jack ones would. I'm going to buy the airpods for christmas and see how well they pair, but the headphone jack deal hasn't really been a "deal" at all for me. Well, provided I don't lose the dongle and lightning headphones!

Overall, this phone could be considered solid. It is probably going to be "meh" if you are coming from a 6S plus, in which case I recommend waiting a year. If you can't wait another year to upgrade and you have a 6/6 plus, I can definitely recommend it. The apps run super smooth, everything is fluid and works as it should, the camera is really nice, and the battery life is awesome (on the 7 plus).
Much appreciated.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom