iPhone or Droid? (1 Viewer)

lvsaintsfan57

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm getting a new phone this week and wanted to get some people to weigh in. I'm looking at either an iPhone 4 or a Samsung Captivate (if you suggest a different Droid, please tell me). My main uses for the phone will be watching Sunday Ticket, using MP3s as a rington (keep in mind, I don't have an iTunes library), Facebook, using the app that turns the phone into a voip phone, and obviously call quality.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

If you're on AT&T I would suggest a rooted Nexus One running stock 2.2.1. They can be found on eBay. Just make sure that you get an AT&T version.

Droid X is my current work phone. I love the screen size for watching video stuff. I have the original Droid for personal use. So yeah, I would recommend the droid.

Check out the whole series of videos - quite funny and yet quite helpful. NSFW language tho.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yubb5x0OE8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yubb5x0OE8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I currently have an iphone 3gs and the Captivate. I also had the iphone 4 at launch, but returned it for the Captivate when it launched a few weeks later. As of right now, my iphone 3gs' only duty is playing an alarm clock in my living room, one that I have to get out of bed for to turn it off. Other than that, its useless to me as long as I have the Captivate. The ONLY issue I have with my Captivate at the moment is the crappy gps. It is serviceable now, after a couple hacks, but still not great by any measure. Other than that, the thing is blindingly fast (running Android 2.2 with the Axura RC1 ROM overclocked with a lagfix), plays any kind of media I throw at it, and is ridiculously customizable. If you are not scared to jump right in and actually learn about it and ways to make it better, I highly recommend it over the iphone. It can just do sooo much more. If all you want is to be able to take your phone out of the box and use it the way the manufacturer thinks is best for you, than the iphone should be your choice (I am assuming that you already know the iphone's capabilities).

Bottom line is that they are both great phones. Don't forget about AT&T's 30-day return policy. If you can't seem to make your mind up, pick one up for a "test drive" and see if it suits your needs. If not, bring it back for the other.

Edit: Both phones can do what you mentioned out of he box, and they both have the Sunday Ticket Apps.

I broke down and got the Captivate tonight. Thanks to everybody for the input! The deal breaker was the larger screen and the ability to get second party apps (and I don't have iTunes)...

Good deal. Since it looks like you intend on have the capability to use non-market apps, I guess you intend to "root" it. Check out the developers forum in the captivate section over at xda-developers.com. Feel free to post any questions on here. There are few of us here that have captivates. I recommend reading up on the Axura builds (custom rom), but wait a few days until the RC2 is released before doing anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I'm stuck on AT&T and had the same dilemma...

Bought a Captivate from newegg for $60

I'm a heavy google (account) user and the integration w/ docs, calendar, adsense, email, etc offers everything I could ask for.

Do your homework and figure out what you want out of your device. If Captivate had FroYo this would be a no-brainer (imo).

It should be a no brainer then. Sure there is no official release, but I've been running froyo for about 2 months now. It is very, very easy to do. Aside from having froyo and all of the perks that come with it, my phone is probably 10x's more stable now than it was on stock. For what its worth, my quandrant scores went from in the low 900's to between 2100- 2250.

If you are just interested in plugging in and going without much customization, Iphone is the way to go.
If you want a phone that is fully customizable without having to jail break, droid is the way to go.

Ibought my wife the Iphone for christmas last year, and I bought the captivate in August.
Personally, if I use her phone, it feels like a downgrade.
When it comes to apps, the android wins.. I can download mp3's straight to my phone without having to buy them through I tunes. I can download youtube videos straight to my phone.
Most apps that apple has, android has it or an equivalent..
I will say with the emergence of the android, it has made apple have to give a little on certain things.
Just recently have they allowed an app that you can make free ringtones, as long as you have the song on itunes, before, you had to buy them. There is a way to do it for free, but the average person wouldn't be able to it.

If your a tech kind of person, the droid 100%..
If you are a techniclly impaired impaired person, iphone 100%

It should be a no brainer then. Sure there is no official release, but I've been running froyo for about 2 months now. It is very, very easy to do. Aside from having froyo and all of the perks that come with it, my phone is probably 10x's more stable now than it was on stock. For what its worth, my quandrant scores went from in the low 900's to between 2100- 2250.

I'm getting a bit better with using the Captivate now, but I don't have the capabilities to play flash video, and I heard froyo incudes the flash player. A couple questions, is everything still running smoothly? If so where and how did you download it from? Did it save all the info on your phone when you switched over?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom