iPod question (1 Viewer)

If they both own the CD, I don't see the problem with that. They both should be able to put into mp3 format easily enough, but if you both own the CD you really aren't taking anything. The problem you have out on the P2P servers is that people are downloading a lot of songs that they do not own.

Right. But again to me it seems the honus is on the person downloading as to whether or not they have a right to own a copy of that song. I know that here at school about 20-25 kids each year get busted by the RIAA for file sharing, and they sue the kids for about 2k per song that they cannot prove ownership of. Multiplied by thousands of songs, several were sued for millions. It's pretty incredible.

Right. But again to me it seems the honus is on the person downloading as to whether or not they have a right to own a copy of that song. I know that here at school about 20-25 kids each year get busted by the RIAA for file sharing, and they sue the kids for about 2k per song that they cannot prove ownership of. Multiplied by thousands of songs, several were sued for millions. It's pretty incredible.

It is on both parties to make sure. If you are going to let someone copy an mp3 from you, you better make darn sure that they actually have purchased the mp3. Chances are, they have not (if they have a computer and the CD, they can make their own mp3 why spend all the time downloading it from someone else?).

It is against the law to distribute or purchase copyrighted material. Each side of the transaction has an obligation under the law to make sure they are not breaking the law. In short, if you don't know if they have the CD, you shouldn't let them copy it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom