IPOD Shuffle ended up in the washing machine (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
It took a good bath in the pants of my long sweats. I got it after it had been in for 3 or 4 minutes.

This was Sunday at about 2 pm ...I took it out immediately and put it in an plastic bag filled with rice...I have heard others say to do that -- because the rice will pull the moisture out of the device.

I haven't turned it on and it is still in the bag of rice.

Any thoughts on how to resurrect it?

DO NOT TURN IT ON.

Rescued 2 phones (1 toilet, 1 tub) and 1 iTouch (left on front lawn in pouring rain overnight) that same way and let them sit for 24 hours, more if you don't need it right away.

I know it sucks having to wait but you're risking damaging it further if you start it up too soon and it isn't dried out.

If you have any silicon gel packs from recent purchases, throw those in there as well.

threelittlepigs3.jpg

Hit it with a blow dryer on cool for a while after removing from the rice...if u see any water at all leaking from it...start over

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Don't put the rice in a sealed plastic bag, as it won't let moisture evaporate. Use a bowl or leave the bag unsealed.

I hope the screen isn't damaged.

Seriously, the best bet is to wait as long as you can tolerate. Several days in the rice should help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Good luck, hope it dries out for you.

As long as you don't turn it on it'll be fine. The shuffle is the one w/o a screen right?
My kids each have one and they've all been through the wash at least once. Wife just puts them on top of the washer until a kid comes along and picks it up. They've all worked just fine, no rice, no silica packs.

My iPhone is a different story. I jumped into a pool with my 3GS in a front pocket. I came up with phone in hand, it wasn't submerged more than 10 seconds. Stupidly I turned it on right away to see if it was broken... weeks in rice, silica gel packs, eventually took it apart to attempt drying it, hasn't worked since.

Lesson learned, do not turn it on for at least 24 hours, maybe longer.

It's the smallest one with no screen; and today is Wed and I haven't turned it on yet.

I took 2 days off from working out and today, I used my smart phone to listen to music. I probably won't work out again until Saturday.

It's the smallest one with no screen;

I know. I was being an ***. I hope it works for you. I like your chances given that it is the shuffle with no LCD. That's usually the most sensitive part. My wife dropped her nook in the tub. It's a little flaky from time to time but still works.

Soooooo-----today; I hooked it up to my computer -- it showed the songs and the battery status -- I opened ITunes and did the deal where you reset it to factory settings, just for the heck of it -- I put 4 songs on it and unplugged it and it worked perfectly.

I loaded 20 or 30 and headed off to the gym and it works like new.

So, waiting almost a week with it a bag of rice worked out. I think the waiting might have made more diference than the rice. I'm glad I have it back; I don't like using my smart phone at the gym and especially in the sauna.

The rice works. Try it again without the rice. Then we'll know.

Okay, begin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom