Ireland and Fontenot (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
I don’t want to jinx it, but it looks like we could be keeping one or both.

Ireland was a finalist for the Panthers and Lions GM jobs. However, information came out about the Panthers and their final four candidates from Jonathan Jones on Twitter. Ireland is not among them. Lions could still make a move on Ireland but Schefter tweeted that Brad Holmes was the favorite for their job. After him, I think Ed Dodds is the guy they want most.

Fontenot is still a hot commodity with the Falcons I think. But he also interviewed well with the Broncos, who just hired George Paton. And it appears the Falcons GM job is down to Fontenot, Holmes and Rick Smith, the former GM of the Texans.

Would be critical to keep at least one of these guys, particularly Ireland because of how well we have drafted and gotten UDFA’s. Fontenot would be a tough loss. He’s brought in some key FAs over the years.

Reaction score
Give me Ireland and 2 3rd round picks
I think we gotta be careful with getting greedy eyes over a couple of 3rd round picks. Fontenot, by all accounts, is excellent at his job on the pro side. We've definitely been able to add to this roster through FA and its a big part of our strategy. Don't disregard the chemistry he has with Payton with regards to bringing in Payton type players.

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
Ironically, the incentive now is for the team to push Drew to come back. Since he has a cap hit anyway, he would be playing for "free" next year with no additional cap hit. Or, if he cooperates, he could restructure again and push his cap hit off to future years. The team has many incentives to keep Brees, and the cap is not an insignificant one.
Not exactly. While Drew has dead money him retiring will save us $13.5 on the cap.
I think we gotta be careful with getting greedy eyes over a couple of 3rd round picks. Fontenot, by all accounts, is excellent at his job on the pro side. We've definitely been able to add to this roster through FA and its a big part of our strategy. Don't disregard the chemistry he has with Payton with regards to bringing in Payton type players.
Brees could come back on a "cheap" deal and then not play, get "hurt" and go be a broadcaster to help the team out of salary cap hell.

Fontenot and Ireland are excellent at their jobs. Saints need as many talented, but cheap players as possible. Fontenot is worth more than two third round picks. I hope he stays, but the guy deserves a shot at a bigger job. Go Interview in the AFC......

I looked at the Salary Cap situation. It is pretty easy to "save" about $40 million, then next $15-20 million is Loomising time, not sure about the rest. It looks rough. Saints will lose two current starters for sure. Don't want to name names, but if Brees goes, there are at least 4-5 more players that you can add to that list to help save some serious cap room. Restructures will be key. No Idea how they can keep Kwon.....that will be rough, not on his current contract, for sure.

Vega$$aint

Resident GoldenTee Junkie
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Those 3rd Round picks could of factored some what into Atl passing on Fontenot or thinking twice about it.

You certainly dont want to aid your biggest rival with draft picks for a guy that may not start showing progress until 2-3 years from now, in which Matt Ryan will probably be gone by then.
one could say, stealing Fontenot away from the Saints would do more harm than giving them 2 3rd round picks

NatureBoy

16x World Champion
Reaction score
You would think the Falcons might consider Fontenot strongly, just because of how it may weaken the Saints FO, and at the same time give them someone who knows our franchise inside and out.

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
That is correct. While the eagles are not as negative as the Saints are, the eagles cap situation is actually worse than the Saints. That's not a good football team and to be that far over the cap with bad contracts to bad players? Yikes.

Loomis has never been over the cap by more than 60 million going into a season. His cap magic in the past has been pushing money to the back of contracts like a credit card. Well the bill is due this year for the credit card. Was it worth it? 100% yes. But that doesn't change the fact that there is no amount of wizardry that will get the Saints under the cap, retain all key players, and have them actively shopping for top tier free agents.
And top tier free agent players, at least the ones they really need, to fill positions they will be losing at a reasonable price. Could be a couple of break even years coming up, record wise. We shall see.

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
On WWL they’re saying there are reports that the Falcons may have changed their minds on Fontenot.

GTRSaint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Fontenot will be in Atlanta and take a good number of our scouting staff (which has been incredible) with him. Really tough losses.

Hopefully we can keep Ireland.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)