Ireland and Fontenot (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
I don’t want to jinx it, but it looks like we could be keeping one or both.

Ireland was a finalist for the Panthers and Lions GM jobs. However, information came out about the Panthers and their final four candidates from Jonathan Jones on Twitter. Ireland is not among them. Lions could still make a move on Ireland but Schefter tweeted that Brad Holmes was the favorite for their job. After him, I think Ed Dodds is the guy they want most.

Fontenot is still a hot commodity with the Falcons I think. But he also interviewed well with the Broncos, who just hired George Paton. And it appears the Falcons GM job is down to Fontenot, Holmes and Rick Smith, the former GM of the Texans.

Would be critical to keep at least one of these guys, particularly Ireland because of how well we have drafted and gotten UDFA’s. Fontenot would be a tough loss. He’s brought in some key FAs over the years.

Selfishly... I hope we keep them both, but I'm all for these guys running their own franchise. Its good to know that you have 2 front office guys that are in the running for GM gigs. Just goes to show that this team's depth goes alot farther than just on the field.

The best case scenario for the Saints salary cap is to "only" be over by $60 million.

Now more than ever, having elite scouting and drafting is crucial as draft picks must be used to fill the holes because the Saints simply won't be contenders in Free Agency.

Losing Ireland or Fontenot would be devastating. Losing both would be a disaster.

Those 3rd Round picks could of factored some what into Atl passing on Fontenot or thinking twice about it.

You certainly dont want to aid your biggest rival with draft picks for a guy that may not start showing progress until 2-3 years from now, in which Matt Ryan will probably be gone by then.

The best case scenario for the Saints salary cap is to "only" be over by $60 million.

Now more than ever, having elite scouting and drafting is crucial as draft picks must be used to fill the holes because the Saints simply won't be contenders in Free Agency.

Losing Ireland or Fontenot would be devastating. Losing both would be a disaster.
I saw somewhere that Philly and the Saints have the worst cap situation in the league.

I saw somewhere that Philly and the Saints have the worst cap situation in the league.

That is correct. While the eagles are not as negative as the Saints are, the eagles cap situation is actually worse than the Saints. That's not a good football team and to be that far over the cap with bad contracts to bad players? Yikes.

It amazes me all Loomis has done and you guys still worry about "the cap" like that thing actually means something. :hihi:

Loomis has never been over the cap by more than 60 million going into a season. His cap magic in the past has been pushing money to the back of contracts like a credit card. Well the bill is due this year for the credit card. Was it worth it? 100% yes. But that doesn't change the fact that there is no amount of wizardry that will get the Saints under the cap, retain all key players, and have them actively shopping for top tier free agents.

Those 3rd Round picks could of factored some what into Atl passing on Fontenot or thinking twice about it.

You certainly dont want to aid your biggest rival with draft picks for a guy that may not start showing progress until 2-3 years from now, in which Matt Ryan will probably be gone by then.

I could see that. But I could also see why they value Holmes and Rick Smith. Smith got the Texans to the playoffs 3 times with the rosters he built despite not having any QBs worth a damn. Holmes, despite not having much draft capital to work with, has nailed some key players for the Rams. He’s been their director of college scouting.

Holmes will end up in Detroit or Atlanta. People seem to love him. Best case scenario would be for Holmes to go to ATL and for Ed Dodds to take the Lions job.

Smith been out of the league since 2017 because of his wife, who had brain cancer.

And if that's their way of thinking they'll continue to suck. you don't worry about what another team gets... if this is YOUR guy you make the move. 3rd round picks are far from a "sure thing", and if you pass on a great GM just because your rival will get a couple 3s... you're an idiot franchise.

That is correct. While the eagles are not as negative as the Saints are, the eagles cap situation is actually worse than the Saints. That's not a good football team and to be that far over the cap with bad contracts to bad players? Yikes.

Loomis has never been over the cap by more than 60 million going into a season. His cap magic in the past has been pushing money to the back of contracts like a credit card. Well the bill is due this year for the credit card. Was it worth it? 100% yes. But that doesn't change the fact that there is no amount of wizardry that will get the Saints under the cap, retain all key players, and have them actively shopping for top tier free agents.

Don't count out Loomis. Also, how much will the Salary Cap go up next year. That 17th game should really help offset 2020, and I think the NFLPA and the teams want to spread the 2020 hit over a few years. I have confidence that Loomis will keep the core together in 2021. Will lose two starters to the Cap, but not more than that. It is amazing what Loomis can do, I'll believe he can't do more magic when that rabbit does not come out of the hat.

Don't count out Loomis. Also, how much will the Salary Cap go up next year. That 17th game should really help offset 2020, and I think the NFLPA and the teams want to spread the 2020 hit over a few years. I have confidence that Loomis will keep the core together in 2021. Will lose two starters to the Cap, but not more than that. It is amazing what Loomis can do, I'll believe he can't do more magic when that rabbit does not come out of the hat.

The cap is anticipated to be in the $190m range, instead of decreasing the cap they are going to just keep it flat for a few years. If the cap actually dropped to the original $176 million, the Saints would be nearly $100m over the cap :eek:

Ironically, the incentive now is for the team to push Drew to come back. Since he has a cap hit anyway, he would be playing for "free" next year with no additional cap hit. Or, if he cooperates, he could restructure again and push his cap hit off to future years. The team has many incentives to keep Brees, and the cap is not an insignificant one.

Ironically, the incentive now is for the team to push Drew to come back. Since he has a cap hit anyway, he would be playing for "free" next year with no additional cap hit. Or, if he cooperates, he could restructure again and push his cap hit off to future years. The team has many incentives to keep Brees, and the cap is not an insignificant one.

Not exactly. While Drew has dead money him retiring will save us $13.5 on the cap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom