Ireland and Fontenot (1 Viewer)

And if that's their way of thinking they'll continue to suck. you don't worry about what another team gets... if this is YOUR guy you make the move. 3rd round picks are far from a "sure thing", and if you pass on a great GM just because your rival will get a couple 3s... you're an idiot franchise.
I agree with this sentiment, but what if everything else is equal?

Your reasoning is why it's never been hard for quality franchises to set aside any potential bias to hire minority candidates. If it's the right person, it's the right person.

Now, in addition to overcoming any potential bias, a minority candidate has to be good enough to stand above the rest, plus offset awarding draft capital to your competitor. Maybe this rule results in more assistant coaches being hired/groomed, but if ever there was a "glass ceiling" for minority candidates to claim the biggest jobs, it just got a little thicker. I am not suddenly in favor of the rule just because the Saints might benefit.

Give me Ireland and 2 3rd round picks

I think we gotta be careful with getting greedy eyes over a couple of 3rd round picks. Fontenot, by all accounts, is excellent at his job on the pro side. We've definitely been able to add to this roster through FA and its a big part of our strategy. Don't disregard the chemistry he has with Payton with regards to bringing in Payton type players.

Ironically, the incentive now is for the team to push Drew to come back. Since he has a cap hit anyway, he would be playing for "free" next year with no additional cap hit. Or, if he cooperates, he could restructure again and push his cap hit off to future years. The team has many incentives to keep Brees, and the cap is not an insignificant one.
Not exactly. While Drew has dead money him retiring will save us $13.5 on the cap.
I think we gotta be careful with getting greedy eyes over a couple of 3rd round picks. Fontenot, by all accounts, is excellent at his job on the pro side. We've definitely been able to add to this roster through FA and its a big part of our strategy. Don't disregard the chemistry he has with Payton with regards to bringing in Payton type players.

Brees could come back on a "cheap" deal and then not play, get "hurt" and go be a broadcaster to help the team out of salary cap hell.

Fontenot and Ireland are excellent at their jobs. Saints need as many talented, but cheap players as possible. Fontenot is worth more than two third round picks. I hope he stays, but the guy deserves a shot at a bigger job. Go Interview in the AFC......

I looked at the Salary Cap situation. It is pretty easy to "save" about $40 million, then next $15-20 million is Loomising time, not sure about the rest. It looks rough. Saints will lose two current starters for sure. Don't want to name names, but if Brees goes, there are at least 4-5 more players that you can add to that list to help save some serious cap room. Restructures will be key. No Idea how they can keep Kwon.....that will be rough, not on his current contract, for sure.

Those 3rd Round picks could of factored some what into Atl passing on Fontenot or thinking twice about it.

You certainly dont want to aid your biggest rival with draft picks for a guy that may not start showing progress until 2-3 years from now, in which Matt Ryan will probably be gone by then.

one could say, stealing Fontenot away from the Saints would do more harm than giving them 2 3rd round picks

You would think the Falcons might consider Fontenot strongly, just because of how it may weaken the Saints FO, and at the same time give them someone who knows our franchise inside and out.

That is correct. While the eagles are not as negative as the Saints are, the eagles cap situation is actually worse than the Saints. That's not a good football team and to be that far over the cap with bad contracts to bad players? Yikes.

Loomis has never been over the cap by more than 60 million going into a season. His cap magic in the past has been pushing money to the back of contracts like a credit card. Well the bill is due this year for the credit card. Was it worth it? 100% yes. But that doesn't change the fact that there is no amount of wizardry that will get the Saints under the cap, retain all key players, and have them actively shopping for top tier free agents.
And top tier free agent players, at least the ones they really need, to fill positions they will be losing at a reasonable price. Could be a couple of break even years coming up, record wise. We shall see.

On WWL they’re saying there are reports that the Falcons may have changed their minds on Fontenot.

Fontenot will be in Atlanta and take a good number of our scouting staff (which has been incredible) with him. Really tough losses.

Hopefully we can keep Ireland.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom