Iron sharpens Iron... (1 Viewer)

Malftap

Crackin' Heads Open
Reaction score
I've been thinking about what's really different about this Saints team than the ones since Payton has taken over. We have been a really great passing offense with subpar defenses. This has lead, IMO, for us to be branded a soft or finese team by the media. I use to take exception to that but in essence it was kind of true. Teams that lined up and play smash mouth football with us gave us problems. I don't think anyone will call us a finese this year. Not with the defense and running game we are displaying. So what's the difference? A lot has to do with Gregg Williams and the attitude this guy has brought to the defense. They play smarter; harder and more physical; with a lot more discipline. They really compete ever down and this started back Day #1 in camp. So take it to the offensive side of the ball.... those guys have to go against that type of play every day. That can only make them stronger. I think we are seeing that in the running game and the play of the o-line in blocking. That win against Buffalo was a thing of beauty on how the Saints imposed their will on that team. Don't think you would have seen that in the pass years. You look at it in the NFL....those teams that really throw the ball a lot really have soft defenses (especially against the run i.e. Cardinals, Colts). So in essence iron sharperns iron! I think the defense has help the offense progress (especially in the run game) and has helped this team develop a tougher attitude. It's only three games but I think this toughness is going to stay with this team the whole year.

Excellent post, I agree completely. Brees even mentioned back this summer in TC that this defense was going to make them better and it really has. :9:

Good observations and points. Another thing I keep hearing from players during interviews is how playing against each other during practice is making both sides better. Think about it: the D has to play against the best QB in the NFL and the O has to play against the Gregg Williams defense with an attitude. And I think that attitude has really spread like wildfire among all the players as well as the coaches.

We got us a win-win situation, folks! :9:

One of the better proverbs and in this case, I think very accurate. I was thinking this when we played the Eagles.

One of the better proverbs and in this case, I think very accurate. I was thinking this when we played the Eagles.

Proverbs 27:17 (New International Version)

As iron sharpens iron,
so one man sharpens another.

Very accurate indeed and one of my personal favorites!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom