Irony (1 Viewer)

Just to keep this irony going if we win in Dallas SB45, don't we play Indy in Indy next year

Yeah, and using "deja vu all over again" utterly stupid. Or, "false start, before the snap" if it was after the snap, it wouldn't be a false start would it?

Point being, we all missuse, misspell, or otherwise err when speaking. It irks different people in different ways. I think the important thing is that what is being said is understood. (This dosen't apply to ebonics, as that is always irritating.) ;)

:9::plus-un2:

It's like rain on your wedding day.

She is probably to blame for the public's misunderstanding of the word "irony".

Rain on your wedding day sucks, but there's nothing ironic about it. Rain during a funeral for a man who died of thirst is ironic. Not wedding day rain.

God I hate that song.

Just to keep this irony going if we win in Dallas SB45, don't we play Indy in Indy next year

We play Indy at home next year. We played them on the road on the opener Thursday night after they won their last Super Bowl. (2007)

Hey, that's kinda ironic.

I told my brother something similar last nite.

Except this isn't irony, it's something akin to crazy coincidence. Irony is drowning while takng swimming lessons or accidentally burning your house down while installing fire alarms or having a heart attack while exercising.
It's not like rain on your wedding day, ironically enough.

I also thought Washington game last year. Desperation last minute win + crazy insane play Meachem (this year's with Malcolm's)

how is having a heart attack while exercising ironic? im sure ppl do that all the time
Because people generally exercise to get healthier or maintain good health and one of the benefits of exercise is cardio-vascular/heart-health and doing something that is beneficial for your heart but causes it to "explode" is ironic. Or doing something specifically to acheive an outcome yet acheiving the exact opposite is ironic.
:9::plus-un2:

It's like rain on your wedding day.

Actually, it's like raaaayyy-eeee-aaaaaiiiiinnnn on your wedding day.

lol

Except this isn't irony, it's something akin to crazy coincidence. Irony is drowning while takng swimming lessons or accidentally burning your house down while installing fire alarms or having a heart attack while exercising.

Your examples are "situational irony", to be precise.

Actually, it's like raaaayyy-eeee-aaaaaiiiiinnnn on your wedding day.

Not irony. Unless there wasn't a cloud in the sky - in which case it's a sprinkler.

We play Indy at home next year. We played them on the road on the opener Thursday night after they won their last Super Bowl. (2007)

Hey, that's kinda ironic.

Not really.

Thanks for posting this. It drives me crazy when sportscasters and fans use words incorrectly. Irony tops the list as 99.9% time it's a coincidence not irony.

Lighten up, in a land where people say 'Who Dat' and 'Crunk' and 'Nawlins', 'Mudbug' and all sorts of crazy words and terms, what's a couple of misused words on a forum?
Just had to put in my 2 cents.
MB

what's a couple of misused words on a forum?

It inhibits proper communication and requires more processing work by the reader to interpret the writer's intended meaning. Allows people to more easily misinterpret thoughts expressed in a medium where misunderstanding is already commonplace.

Not the be-all and end-all of misunderstanding, but it could at least help if it was minimized. Unfortunately it's harder to fight the people who don't proof their posts than to just ignore them and move on, because ultimately those people don't give two ***** about it anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom