Is anyone else afraid Sean Payton is going to want to pass too much against 49ers? (1 Viewer)

BCK30

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We Saints fans know the running game is going to be key against the 49ers, as they have shown to be somewhat vulnerable against the run. Baltimore showed that last week as did Seattle when they matched up nearly a month ago. That being said I'm afraid Sean Payton is going to go against the grain and just have Brees go empty and try to pass the ball against a stout 49ers pass defense. If Payton employs that strategy not only are you compromising your defense if it doesn't work but you also risk turnovers and perhaps worse. I surely hope I'm wrong but Payton has done things like this in the past. To me, this is a no doubt Latavius Murray and Taysom Hill heavy feature game. Those two guys along with a strong performance by the Offensive line will be the key in sustaining drives thus helping our Defense and grind out a win. This method won't be pretty or sexy as us fans have been used to seeing over the years but if you want to win this is the best strategy to achieve victory which is all that matters!!!!

Well yeah especially considering he won't have an actual Fullback available for this game, Vaander Laan on IR. Zach Line, Out for another week.

It will largely depend on game script and how much early success the rush attempts will generate in the first quarter.

If they fall behind Two scores early on, it's going to be hard for Sean and Drew to resist going Pass mode.. especially if the first few 1st, 2nd down runs aren't generating much... The glimmer of hope is Ola being brought back on maybe they will go Jumbo 3 Tight End personnel a lot with Ola/Clapp as an eligible linemen and Josh Hill, Cook as blockers. That might be the work around for not having a Fullback.

I am. But I think it's just the nature of this team. If the run isn't working, we don't continue to challenge it. This offense can pass on any defense. We could struggle, we could be slowed down, but we will move the ball through the air. The 2011 game we turned the ball over 5 times yet the passing game really opened up late.

I also think Payton has more confidence in making adjustments in the passing game than the run game.

I would like to see Murray get 20+ carries and to keep challenging it past the first half. We run arguably the best 2 min drill in the league. I hope we don't fall on the passing game too early.

I sure hope he does. As David Pollack pointed out on college GameDay this morning, New School scores points, and that's why LSU is favored over Old School UGA. The Saints win by throwing the ball. And I don't understand why some fans want that to change.

Our LT is hobbled, we have no fullback, and we are missing our starting LG.

Of course we are going to pass a lot. Payton is not going to slam into the line for no gain 20 times. If anyone is triggered by that, don't watch this game. It's not going to be to your liking.

Nope. I think running the ball is overrated. If you can dominate with it great and it's good to kill clock with it if you can. Otherwise you are better off just using it in short yardage on early downs and to complement the passing game.

For the most part though, I trust Payton to do the right thing according to the flow of the game.

I sure hope he does. As David Pollack pointed out on college GameDay this morning, New School scores points, and that's why LSU is favored over Old School UGA. The Saints win by throwing the ball. And I don't understand why some fans want that to change.

I'm the type that I don't care. I'm for whatever works. I just ask that we make adjustments if whatever we're doing is not working. That said, I can see why some think we need to have a run-heavy game plan. This is the type of defense that has traditionally given Brees fits. We are also more than capable of pounding the rock, as demonstrated by Brees' early season absence. It will come down to what's working. Hopefully we have a good balance.

Whatever wins the game I care not which. On the poster who pointed out our hobbled O line and fullback, I agree the fullback will hinder our ability to run for sure.....but the o line still has to hold up to pass pro, if we are to be able to pass effectively.
The only thing that would ‘trigger’ many of us, is if we lose and do so while sticking to something that isn’t working, be that run or pass.

Our LT is hobbled, we have no fullback, and we are missing our starting LG.

Of course we are going to pass a lot. Payton is not going to slam into the line for no gain 20 times. If anyone is triggered by that, don't watch this game. It's not going to be to your liking.
But we do need balance to keep the D honest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom