Is anyone watching Wimbledon Tennis? (1 Viewer)

I haven't watched tennis in a while. Anyone better than Agassi even come along?

Well, we kinda touched on that upthread.. i guess the closest thing to Agassi, or actually more accomplished than him actually - is Serena…. .. but i think most of us can agree that in order for tennis to be must-see teevee like it was when i was a kid, we need a Tiger Woods-like figure on the American mens’ side.. is that sexist ?? I dunno, but i think that’s what it’ll take to restore the sport to its former glory .

ETA i was responding to ur question in re to American players.. b/c Federer, Nadal and Djokavic (who seems like a total d-bag)- are all better than Agassi was .

Isner is struggling today… He is another one who I’ve long thought could be the next Great White Hope[tm] of American men’s tennis… Unfortunately, he’s getting precariously close to 40 years old and has never established himself as anything other than above average, and probably the best server in the history of the sport.

Isner is struggling today… He is another one who I’ve long thought could be the next Great White Hope[tm] of American men’s tennis… Unfortunately, he’s getting precariously close to 40 years old and has never established himself as anything other than above average, and probably the best server in the history of the sport.
Roscoe Tanner… am I remembering that right? Came along as Mac/Connor were aging out
Had a Thunder serve but not much else?

Roscoe Tanner… am I remembering that right? Came along as Mac/Connor were aging out
Funny, I remember that name but think of him as more from the '50s but looks like his prime was the '70s

Funny you mention him, i like to watch old episodes of the Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson on one of those retro tv channels, Antenna TV i think it is.. not long ago, i saw where he had Tanner as a guest, and Johnny being the huge tennis nut that he was, he had Roscoe demonstrate his serve and they timed it with one of those clocks like they use to measure the speed of baseball pitches.. it was pretty impressive.. anyway i googled him afterwards and it looks like he’s been in and out of jail several times; the intervening 45 yrs or so haven’t worked out too well for him .

Funny you mention him, i like to watch old episodes of the Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson on one of those retro tv channels, Antenna TV i think it is.. not long ago, i saw where he had Tanner as a guest, and Johnny being the huge tennis nut that he was, he had Roscoe demonstrate his serve and they timed it with one of those clocks like they use to measure the speed of baseball pitches.. it was pretty impressive.. anyway i googled him afterwards and it looks like he’s been in and out of jail several times; the intervening 45 yrs or so haven’t worked out too well for him .
yeah, i saw the jail stuff too when i wikied - had no idea

July 2nd Coco G (11th seed) vs Amanda A. (20th seed). I will be happy whichever athlete prevails. Both Americans.

That should be a good one... but i just realized that i am scheduled to be on a road trip all day next Sunday- the day of the Wimbledon finals. ☹️.. i never would have made that mistake if it was Super Bowl Sunday.. so moral of the story is: I guess im not as big a tennis fan as i thought i was .

That should be a good one... but i just realized that i am scheduled to be on a road trip all day next Sunday- the day of the Wimbledon finals. ☹️.. i never would have made that mistake if it was Super Bowl Sunday.. so moral of the story is: I guess im not as big a tennis fan as i thought i was .
Iga Swiatek will win. The only drama is who will be her opponent in the Finals.
I just looked at the Women's Bracket.
July 1st prediction by Steve from New Jersey
A drum roll please......

Ons Jabeur vs Iga Swiatek
...........and Iga wins.
What does Steve from NJ win if I am correct??? :unsure:
Maybe just one of these? :clapbig:

Iga Swiatek will win. The only drama is who will be her opponent in the Finals.
I just looked at the Women's Bracket.
July 1st prediction by Steve from New Jersey
A drum roll please......

Ons Jabeur vs Iga Swiatek
...........and Iga wins.
What does Steve from NJ win if I am correct??? :unsure:
Maybe just one of these? :clapbig:

I was actually referring to the ‘Gentlemen’s Final’.. i think the women’s is actually on Saturday.. not sure though .. but yeah, Swiatek is a shoe-in .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom