Is Big Ben still suffering from his near fatal motorcycle accident (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I bring this up because I was talking to a nurse here in Mobile and the topic of head trauma was discussed by me and him for quite some time about a few weeks back. When the topic of Big Ben Roethlisberger's now infamous nearly fatal motorcycle crash came up, the nurse said that Ben was first off, lucky to be even still alive because most people don't survive crashes like the one he went through that day and secondly he may still have some damage or hidden trauma that if someone ever hits him the wrong way, it could be fatal to him period.
That really took me by surprise, not that I did not have an idea about these things but because these past couple of seasons Ben really has suffered in his playing abilities. He just isnt the same player he was before his accident. He is more timid in the pocket and quite frankly sometimes I wonder if the damage or the trauma did to him could one day catch up to him.
Imagine yourself being in that position or the way he almost got killed, it has been discovered that later in life these things do come back to some people and can cause strokes, paralysis or even death. to top it off, the guy gets hit a lot for a living and what if that secretly compounds the problem?

What if that accident hurt his brain or caused some trauma to be opened up later on in his life, I see Steve Young as a good example, he was knocked unconscious in his last game ever and some people thought he would be not waking up because he had so many concussions in his career.

What about Big Ben injury, he nearly killed and he was laid up for weeks because of the severity of the wreck, could it come back to haunt him as his life gets older or his career gets more extended.

Head trauma is not something to play around with even if you think are totally healed, you may not be as totally healed as you may think

I'm pretty sure if one big hit could kill him, he wouldn't be playing football at all.

Also, I'm positive Ben's doctor knows his situation a little better than a nurse in Mobile.

He'll be fine.

I don't know. I was talking to my mechanic and he said that the motorcycle Big Ben was riding may have suffered more than Big Ben did. They actually had funeral plans underway when the cycle began recovering. But then, he wasn't the actual mechanic who looked at the cycle at all. He was just going on what he knew of cylinder trauma, which the cycle apparently suffered.

Thank goodness that the mechanics arrived at the scene in time.

I'm not a neurologist but I have some background on this. I had to read what wikipedia posted on his accident as I didn't remember all the facts. While he is lucky to be alive in regards to him suffering a TBI he did not lose consciousness and when the paramedics arrive he was stated to be "alert" which we can interperate as meaning that any trauma he may have suffered was probibly minimal in terms of neurologic function. Even wikipedia has it stating that the hospital he was treating at stated no brain damage found.

EDIT: When I reread what other posted, I am sure given the severity of the accident that a CAT scan was performed and any damage would have been found. I doubt that he is going to have any lasting effects from this accident which is good as he can't afford to lose any brainpower.

Last edited:

Attachments

• gullible.jpg
    gullible.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 132
He's fine. It took him awhile to get back to normal (most of 2006 season, frankly.) But he's fine.

It's tough to repeat.

I bring this up because I was talking to a nurse here in Mobile and the topic of head trauma was discussed by me and him for quite some time about a few weeks back. When the topic of Big Ben Roethlisberger's now infamous nearly fatal motorcycle crash came up, the nurse said that Ben was first off, lucky to be even still alive because most people don't survive crashes like the one he went through that day and secondly he may still have some damage or hidden trauma that if someone ever hits him the wrong way, it could be fatal to him period.
That really took me by surprise, not that I did not have an idea about these things but because these past couple of seasons Ben really has suffered in his playing abilities. He just isnt the same player he was before his accident. He is more timid in the pocket and quite frankly sometimes I wonder if the damage or the trauma did to him could one day catch up to him.
Imagine yourself being in that position or the way he almost got killed, it has been discovered that later in life these things do come back to some people and can cause strokes, paralysis or even death. to top it off, the guy gets hit a lot for a living and what if that secretly compounds the problem?

What if that accident hurt his brain or caused some trauma to be opened up later on in his life, I see Steve Young as a good example, he was knocked unconscious in his last game ever and some people thought he would be not waking up because he had so many concussions in his career.

What about Big Ben injury, he nearly killed and he was laid up for weeks because of the severity of the wreck, could it come back to haunt him as his life gets older or his career gets more extended.

Head trauma is not something to play around with even if you think are totally healed, you may not be as totally healed as you may think

Did Ben have his wreck in Mobile or did this nurse care for Ben after the accident? If not, I wouldn't listen to a word he/she said because they don't have a clue what happened.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom