Is Big Ben's injury the reason why the Steelers are in a slump (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
When I saw the accident Big Ben was in this past summer, it really was a good foreshadowing of the season that the Steelers have had so far this year, they have lost some close games granted I will give you that, but their is something missing with the Steelers this year, some kind of X factor that made them run so well to the Super Bowl last year and be a perennial playoff championship team for so many years before that. Is it the injury guys? To be honest? It very well could be. BEn Rothlisberger hasnt been the QB this season he was before his accident, he just hasnt, he doenst play with that edge that he had before very nearly getting killed.

and quite frankly, how could he play that way anymore? You are looking at a man who is lucky to be alive, he came within a few minutes of dying on a street in Pittsburgh in Late June of this year, it was extremely fortunate he didnt die becuase of that accident.

You know you dont preprare for accidents, the vehicle he was in, the motorcycle he was rding, it nearly killed him, and maybe it was a mistake to put him on the field so soon after his injury, maybe the Steelers need Charlie Batch to step up rather then let their star QB get even more hurt or screwed up? Because the severity of his injury, it leavesme to believe that later on it could caue problems, he had severe trauama because of that accident, whos to say he wont have psychological and future physical problems related to his injury in 10-20 years when he is out of football completely.

It may be that Big Ben's injury is looming large on the Steelers season so far, I dont know if they can shake it, but for the better of the franchise, it has to be known that Big Ben is a big question mark, if it leaves a big question mark unanswered too long, you have problems for everybody.

This wasnt just sme guy who got in a motrocycle accident guys, it was a man who is trying to recover from nearly dying and expected to be the same person he was before the accident that nearly took his life.

That at its best hurts everyone in the end, not just a QB who got unlucky or unfortunate or misfortunate.

And so far its hurting the Steelers.

And it didnt have to be that way, man he could have listened to his coach and his parents, he knew the risks and he damn wel did it anyway. Guys, any athelete has to know that these things can happen, if Big Ben isnt an example, I dont know what is. Hell it nearly happened to Hokie Gajan in 1981, he got into a severe car accident that hurt his career and almost got him cut by the Saints and bum Phillips.

It does have an effect.

I think Big Ben's injurie(s) are contributing to the Steelers poor play, but a couple other things factor in IMO.

1. The Steelers lost several veterans, most notably Jerome Bettis and Randle El. Neither was adequately replaced.

2. The Steelers are fat and happy after the Super Bowl victory. The dreaded Super Bowl hangover.

3. The Steelers are asking too much of Big Ben. He can't win games for them, and this season, when they are depending on him to win the games, he can't. Remember, he didn't look all that hot in the Super Bowl.

4. No consistent running game. May have something to do with the loss of Bettis.

5. Cower should NEVER have started Ben vs the Raiders. Absolutely the worst decision he could make. Batch is a capable back up, so use him as such.

We'll get an up close look at em in two weeks.

I just think don't 'Big Ben' is a very good quarterback, pre or post accident.

Ben can't win passing 25+ times. He's just not that type of QB.

He looked great against Atlanta, but after he got hit, he should never have played vs. the Raiders. I don't care if he was out on the sidelines 15 minutes after he was hit looking like he was OK. I've heard from doctors that concussions take 7-10 days before you should be cleared to play contact sports like football. They were playing games with his career. The Pittsburgh team doctor should have his license revoked They were lucky nothing happened.

I also question whether he was really ready a week after getting an appendectomy. He just didn't seem like the same QB as he was last year. Unfortunately Cowherd didn't have the guts to pull Ben and play Batch when he should have. As if playing Batch is going to generate a QB controversy. You do whats best for the team, not for an invidual player.

Last edited:
The Steelers went from 5th in the NFL in rushing last year to 16th this year. The Steelers went from 4th in the NFL in points allowed per game to 16th this year. The Steelers went from a +7 on turnovers last year to -5 this year. If you can't run the ball, don't win the turnover battle and your defense gives up an additional 4 points per game then you are not going to win many football games.

Ben should have never started against the Raiders.

The Steelers went from 5th in the NFL in rushing last year to 16th this year. The Steelers went from 4th in the NFL in points allowed per game to 16th this year. The Steelers went from a +7 on turnovers last year to -5 this year. If you can't run the ball, don't win the turnover battle and your defense gives up an additional 4 points per game then you are not going to win many football games.

Ben should have never started against the Raiders.

DING DING DING... we have a winner. Very good info.

Ben is probably one of the most overrated QB's in recent memory. This guy was obviously a product of the system he is in. Without them pounding the ball and having a stellar defense...Ben has been exposed for what he truly is.

i told my neighbor 3 weeks after his accident that big ben would have problems this year with it. i wont say its all from his accident but there is alot to it, i told him he will get a cuncussion and im sure this wont be his last, he might get another one this year maybe next but its coming. when the human head eats a car like his did without a helmet; the brain takes a beating against the skull, its very unfortunate but its also stupidity not wearing a helmet.

They remind me of the 2005 Saints. When you turn the ball over; you give your opponents the short field and they score points on you. Once they score you get in that position you can't rush, instead you have to pass to catch up. This results in a huge advantage for the Defense. Note: Rothlisberger has thrown 11 interceptions in 6 games and that's more than the 9 he threw in all of last season (12 games).

Giveaways: Pittsburgh gave the ball away 23 times last season or 1.4 times per game. They're at 18 in 7 game or 2.6 times per game for an increase of nearly 80%.

Rothelisberger is becoming Aaron Brooksesque. He has some good games and some terrible games. He's not playing like the QB from last season who did a great job of consistently managing games.

Obviously we are all hoping that Rothlesberger remains ineffective through next Sunday (at least), but the reason stated above has much more to do with the Steelers woes in 2006.

Running is essential to winning!

For this reason I am beginning to worry more about the Saints push to the post season. This part of our offense also must improve. It's clear that Bush is involved in a 'learning curve'. I just hope hethings begin to click for him sooner than later.

We need his 'wheels' this year! :eek:oh:

BILL COWHER! That's who's responsible for the Steelers losing right now.....He refuses to play Charlie Batch, a healthy QB that actually knows the offense better than Ben. I just hope that he continues to be hard-headed and play him for two more weeks.

With our luck Cowher will finally start Charlie Batch when we finally play them.

I'm willing to cut Ben some slack. Look at what he's been through this year. The car accident, then the appendix, and wraps that up with a concussion. And this has all happened before the season is half over. I give him credit for playing. That takes a lot of guts, a lot more than I would probably have.

I put the blame on Cowher for playing him. Batch looked great when he started game 1 and should be given a chance to play while Ben recovers.

For the record, I think Ben is overated as a QB. But he's still young and shows a lot of promise. I would hate to jeopardize the rest of his career by rushing him back. I also agree that the Steelers problems run a lot deeper than just Ben's play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom