Is Brees a very mobile QB? (1 Viewer)

Saintman2884

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Mobile QB's are a duel threat IMO. They can bend an opposing defense and wreak havoc on the passing game as well. While Drew Brees is not a Micheal Vick caliber speed QB, from what I have seen he can be pretty mobile at times in the pocket just by his presence and his passing game. He only got sacked 20 times last year and the question comes up like it did in another thread:Is it the O-line or is it Brees just being a smart QB who can avoid being sacked very well? To me Drew is one of the smartest QB's in the NFL right now, he can pick a defense apart very easily and throw for 300 yards every time he steps on the field. Plus he is elusive and makes good decisions with the ball.

So is Brees a mobile QB? through out his Saints tenure, he has at times, looked like Superman out there, I mean nobody could stop him or cut him out of his game. Jacksonville was a good example of that, my God he threw for 300 yards and 4 TD's in the first half and Del Rio was looking like he would be blown out in that one, he could not stop Drew in any way possible.

Its scary what this guy can do, even if you give the man an inch of light, he will break if open so big you wont know what hit you or your team the light will blind your eyes

Brees has great pocket awareness and can feel the d-line pressure before it gets to him. That goes hand in hand with his quick release. I wouldn't say he's truly agile though. So I would say no he's not a mobile QB.

Brees has great pocket awareness and can feel the d-line pressure before it gets to him. That goes hand in hand with his quick release. I wouldn't say he's truly agile though. So I would say no he's not a mobile QB.

Bingo. He is a true pocket passer. Pocket awareness is the magic word. He buys time by moving in the pocket, stepping up, sliding to the side to get a better passing lane, ect. Quick release comes in handy, but so does film study and knowing where to go. He is the total package and doesn't need to be mobile becuase he is so adept at what he does. If anything, he needs a mobile RB and a coach to call running plays up the gut when we play fast and agressive defenses like Tampa, Tennessee, Chicago, Baltimore, ect. Being mobile against those teams wouldn't help so much, even if he had Vick speed, simply becuase they are just as quick on all levels of the defense. The only anecdote is establishing the line of scrimmage with a physical run game. Without that, our short, high percentage passes will be stopped by fast defenses and pressure will get there when we need to go deep.

He moves well in the pocket, probably one of the best in the league at it.

He has to be mobile. Since he is only 6 feet, he probably realizes that when the pocket collapses in the slightest, it will be really hard to get the ball over those foot taller linemen. i love how he is ALWAYS looking upfield even when getting out the pocket.

Well, before Steve Young and Michael Vick came into existence a guy like Drew Brees would have been considered to be a mobile QB. He doesn't run for offensive production, but he can buy time and avoid the rush with his feet unlike the statues known as Drew Bledsoe and Peyton Manning.

Well, before Steve Young and Michael Vick came into existence a guy like Drew Brees would have been considered to be a mobile QB. He doesn't run for offensive production, but he can buy time and avoid the rush with his feet unlike the statues known as Drew Bledsoe and Peyton Manning.

I was with you until you said Peyton Manning. Manning gets sacked even less than Brees I would bet.

I consider mobile QBs players that use their pure athleticism to evade defensive linemen, guys like Vince Young and Vick. Relatively speaking Brees isn't that kind of QB. Yeah he can do it once in a blue moon, but it's not part of his skill set. It's ok with him being a pocket passer.

#15 QB Drew Brees, Purdue, 6-0/213/4.83
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2001
Projected Round: 1-2
Rated number 2 out of 28 QB's

Overview
The unquestioned leader of the Boilermakers’ offense and one of the school’s most decorated athletes...The three-year starter shattered virtually every school passing record and also made his marks on the Big Ten Conference and NCAA Division 1-A record charts...Ranks fourth in NCAA annals with 1525 pass attempts, 942 pass completions and 11,815 yards in total offense (NCAA does not recognize bowl stats)...Including post-season action, he holds the Boilermaker and conference career-records with 1026 completions of 1678 passes for 11,792 yards, 90 touchdown tosses and 12,692 yards in total offense...His pass completion percentage of .611 set another Purdue all-time record...Only player in Big Ten Conference history to throw for over 500 yards in a game twice in a career...Threw for over 400 yards seven times, over 300 yards sixteen times and over 200 yards twenty-seven times during his career...Tied Wisconsin tailback Ron Dayne’s (1996-99) Big Ten Conference record by earning Player of the Week honors eight times during his career.

Analysis

Positives... Touch passer with the ability to read and diagnose defensive coverages...Confident leader who knows how to take command in the huddle...Very tough and mobile moving around in the pocket...Has a quick setup and is very effective throwing on the move... Throws across his body with great consistency...Hits receivers in stride and improvises his throws in order to make a completion...Puts good zip behind the short and mid-range passes...Shows good judgement and keen field vision...Has a take-charge attitude and is very cool under pressure...Hits receivers in motion with impressive velocity...Has superb pocket presence and uses all of his offensive weapons in order to move the chains...Has solid body mechanics and quickness moving away from center...Elusive scrambler with the body control to avoid the rush.

Negatives...Plays in the spread offense, taking the bulk of his snaps from the shotgun...Tends to side-arm his passes going deep...Lacks accuracy and touch on his long throws...Seems more comfortable in the short/intermediate passing attack...Does not possess the ideal height you look for in a pro passer, though his ability to scan the field helps him compensate in this area...Will improvise and run when the passing lanes are clogged, but tends to run through defenders rather than trying to avoid them to prevent unnecessary punishment.

Combine Results
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 213
40 Yard Dash: 4.83
20 Yard Dash: 2.75
10 Yard Dash: 1.66
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.21
3-Cone Drill: 7.09
Vertical Jump: 32"
Broad Jump: 8'9"
Wonderlic: 34

Campus Agility Tests (Pro Day)
40-yard dash: 4.67
Bench press: 275 lbs.
Squat: 475 lbs.
Power Clean: 275 lbs.
Arm length: 31 ¼”
Hands: 10”

he ran more in college than he does in the pros. I saw some of his vids on youtube and he looked pretty good and mobile.

he is MUCH more effective in the pocket obviously, but I would say he's has average mobility.

Somewhere between Bledsoe and Vick lol

I was reading analysis on Tulsa'a Paul Smith they said Think of a Mobile Drew Brees, Heres the Analysis....

Paul Smith - Tulsa: Smith is smallish (6-1) but knows how to move a team down the field. With a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, and a new group of starting WRs...Smith put up his biggest numbers during the 2007 season. Think of a more mobile Drew Brees when thinking about this Tulsa QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom