Is Brees Capable of One More High-Level Season? (1 Viewer)

Have a group chat for with a bunch of friends, and one of them said this game reminded him of Manning in his last year. That kinda bothered me since I remember just how awful Manning was that final year. That said, he did just enough in the playoffs to allow their running game and D to win the SB.

It seems everywhere you go the discussions are that Drew doesn't have it anymore. The media, NFL fans and Saint fans all seem to agree on that. But what's interesting is that statistically (at least in the regular season), Brees hasn't had the drop off that QBs like Farve and Manning did in their final years.

Peyton Manning's last two seasons:
2014: 39 TDs / 15 INTs
2015: 9 TDs / 17 INTs

Brett Farve's last two seasons:
2009: 33 TDs / 7 INTs
2010: 11 TDs / 19 INTs

Drew's last three seasons:
YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
AC5-UEeN3V_fjkdFXtHWfQ_28x21.png

Saints

Saints

Saints

Compared to Manning and Farve, Brees has held up a lot better. In fact, Brees' TD/INT ratio is a lot better now than it was in his prime. I guess my question is (genuinely curious), what do you guys think is the reason that Drew's had the troubles he's had in the playoffs lately? Why does he seem to be able to do well enough during the season but look so poor in the playoffs? I get if he can't quite make the throws he used to. But he's proven he can play it smart in the season. Just not sure why he can't in the playoffs.

Is he Manning or Favre, NO. Is he limiting the offense, I'm finally starting to think so. Otherwise, why put Winston in to throw that touchdown.

To be fair, did he have: Brown, Evan's, Godson, Fournette, Gronk...

No, would Brady have won that game with Brees' supporting cast: no Michael Thomas, no Murry, no Taysom, a fumbling bumbling Cook...probably not.

The dink and dunk, occasional intermediate pass offense can excel in the regular season, but I think we've seen plenty of evidence the last few years that the postseason is a different animal.

Im going to say this. I think we had at the very minimum an equal chance of winning against TB with Winston under center. I dont think I could have said that at any point in the last 15 years. I dont say that lightly. Brees last season was the better option. And when Brees got hurt, I still thought he was the better option over Hill. But Winston is a pocket passer, who can stretch the field. He has a live arm and would open up the offense. You can reopen the playbook. Maybe you cant coach the INTs out of Winston. I dont know the answer to that. But I think if we can keep this core intact after salary cap moves and bring Winston back, we can win 10+ games.

Brees will never be replaced. He brought us somewhere we never imagined possible. But at this point, even with his infinite wisdom and understanding of the game, he is limiting this offense in a league that is being driven by ultra talented young QBs. A part of me thought Id like to see him come back just to keep Brady from the records. But after watching exactly how much he has aged, its over. Its easy to complete 70% of your passes when you are throwing an average depth of 3.9 yards. I love the dude, but it is time.

Tampa played inside a 10 yard box. They were not concerned with getting beat deep. The fumble by Cook was still IMO the deciding play, but Brees threw 3 INTs - maybe not all on him - but he also threw 3 more that shouldve been picked off.

I didnt want to notice Brees not having the zip on the ball before the rib injuries but afterwards can't hide anymore not being able to make those deep throws hurt the offense... If he decides to play another year, I will be surprised and skeptical... will also hate the switch for short yardage downs or the wildcat formation/plays...

Love everything about Drew, and appreciate all he's done for the city for over the past 15 years, but he's been done for the past 2 seasons imo fam.
(Clown reacts welcomed).

The crazy thing is, we have to pay him (cap appropriation) $23M whether he plays on not. If he plays, his cap hit is $36M. If he retires, his cap hit is $23M and we are currently $95M over the 2021 projected cap. That is almost double the next highest team, which is the Eagles. They mortgaged the future for the last couple of years. At some point, we are going to see a purge of high prices veterans and dead money hell, which will probably be next year. I don't know how they make that math work out next season.
Usually, this is when the restructuring begins. I can't imagine Loomis didn't anticipate this.

I didnt want to notice Brees not having the zip on the ball before the rib injuries but afterwards can't hide anymore not being able to make those deep throws hurt the offense... If he decides to play another year, I will be surprised and skeptical... will also hate the switch for short yardage downs or the wildcat formation/plays...

While I think Brees will and probably should retire, if he's 100% healthy and feeling good, and wants one more season with fans in the stands for a farewell tour, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

They did but that isn’t what beat us. The turnovers did. A Cook fumble and Cook bounce off his arms caused another INT. We had these guys on the ropes and turnovers killed it. But turnovers always do. And yes, there were two INTs that were not good. I’m not saying he isn’t done, but the loss isn’t on Drew because he is done. Speaking this game alone, we had them on the ropes. Unfortunate but couldn’t close it out.
Ahhh someone that sees the whole picture , And I'd bet that the Int was AK fault not running the right route. . We have Hill and Murray we win , Cook doesn't cause 2 TO's we win . Harris doesn't get hurt chances are we win and all we talk about is how cold it's gonna be in Green Bay

While I think Brees will and probably should retire, if he's 100% healthy and feeling good, and wants one more season with fans in the stands for a farewell tour, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Nobody got time for that. Seriously, if he had brought us 5 or 6 rings, like Kobe, then a farewell tour is warranted.

Our front office and coaching staff are being pilfered right now. Its time to get to work, and let's see how we can navigate out of this hole we went in for Brees. He have a HoF weekend coming for that...Saints still have to be competitive next year.

We have work to do

Ahhh someone that sees the whole picture , And I'd bet that the Int was AK fault not running the right route. . We have Hill and Murray we win , Cook doesn't cause 2 TO's we win . Harris doesn't get hurt chances are we win and all we talk about is how cold it's gonna be in Green Bay
Maybe you watched a different game. All I said was the fact Drew is “done” as folks like to keep saying is not why we lost. Cook caused 2 turnovers. Not sure how that results in Drew is done conversation. And by the way our “done” QB is better than at least 20+ other qbs in the league. Drew will be done because he wants to be, not because he can’t physically play the position. Is he prime Brees, no. Is he effective? Yep. Can he throw a dime pass 50+? Probably not. Can he still have one of the highest completion rates in the league and let his playmakers make plays? Absolutely. Can he still hit intermediate routes? 100%. Not sure how it’s on him when the ball hits WRs on the hands and they drop passes. Again, see Cook. I’m not arguing Drew is probably done. But it isn’t because he can’t be physically effective in a season.

And yes, Hill OR Murray are in and we win the game.

Last edited:
Maybe you

Maybe you watched a different game. All I said was the fact Drew is “done” as folks like to keep saying is not why we lost. Cook caused 2 turnovers. Not sure how that results in Drew is done conversation. And by the way our “done” QB is better than at least 20+ other qbs in the league. Drew will be done because he wants to be, not because he can’t physically play the position. Is he prime Brees, no. Is he effective? Yep. Can he throw a dime pass 50+? Probably not. Can he still have one of the highest completion rates in the league and let his playmakers make plays? Absolutely. Can he still hit intermediate routes? 100%. Not sure how it’s on him when the ball hits WRs on the hands and they drop passes. Again, see Cook. I’m not arguing Drew is probably done. But it isn’t because he can’t be physically effective in a season.

And yes, Hill OR Murray are in and we win the game.

I tend to agree. Certainly if both are in, I think we win going away and Cook doesn't get relied on as much because that's where his touches went. Not only that, having Hill in particular just gives the offense so many more options. The defense wouldn't be able to key on Kamara nearly as much, which makes the offense much more effective. Unfortunate that we lost two key playmakers the week before the final game.

I really think we're underestimating just how big an impact this had on the game.

Something else to consider, is the interception to Kamara was clearly a miscommunication. I don't think we know yet if Kamara ran the wrong route or Drew threw to the wrong target. I'm curious what happened there.

Also, I don't think Drew was ever 100% after the rib injuries. I'm sure that limited his play somewhat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom