Is Brees Capable of One More High-Level Season? (1 Viewer)

Post of the day. Hits nail on the head. CSP shafted the rest of the team to appease an aging QB. Personally, I think drew lost the locker room when taysom came in and it showed when Winston made the throw for the TB. I haven’t seen the team get that excited and congratulating Winston in a while. The team knows Brees wanps limited to 20 yards and had to play out last season and this one.

We were robbed of a SB 2 years ago, and came within a play of winning 2 other playoff games 3 years ago and last year. Drew has been our best option the last 3 years. We have one of the best records overall and Drew has been near the top of the league every season. This is just a ridiculous revision of history.

But sore loses will be sore I guess.

This whole thing is a double edged sword. Everyone wanted to see him and the team win another superbowl, if they had he 100% would have retired. Now I can see why some don't want him to go out the way it played out (me included) but I still think there is a 95% chance that was his last game. It sucks about those turnovers, but at least the refs didn't screw this team like it usually does

Damn, just because you feel it might be negative doesn’t make it not true. Last night was reflective of the last 2-3 seasons with a QB that limits your offense.

That's not what I said though. I said persistently negative. Some people have a long history of that and know well that it just makes conversations here pretty much unbearable.

Damn, just because you feel it might be negative doesn’t make it not true. Last night was reflective of the last 2-3 seasons with a QB that limits your offense.

And to be clear, Drew did have some limitations, but we all knew that and we had some solid seasons in spite of that. We came pretty close to getting all the way there more than a few times. The Bills and Eagles took several tries, and only have one Lombardi to show for it between the two of them. Winning it all is incredibly hard. And we got robbed by the refs twice, and the defense ruined a lot of seasons for Drew.

But it is what it is. I'm over it. Time to look ahead and see where the front office takes this team. I'm not giving up on them.

Sadly no. It's time. I hate to say this but at this point not having a QB who can throw down the field is hurting the team. This is 2021 and teams are airing it out left and right and making it look easy. Then you watch Drew and he has to take a crow hop to throw it 20 yards.

It's sad because I remember when Drew could drop dimes all over the place. I can remember the feeling of knowing it was a completion as soon as he let it go. He was money in most games but in some games he would go into the zone. Like the 2nd half of the Super Bowl. My god was he locked in. That's the Drew I'll always remember.

I just wonder how much stroke Payton has in all of this. Loomis is on with Pat Kirwin and JIm Miller each week. Last week Loomis said each year they give Drew his space and let HIM (meaning DREW) decide if he comes back or not. So, these last few years, based on this, means Payton had no part of the decision to keep Drew. I guess he could have benched him in favor of another QB.

The problem is that it was evident that any well-coached playoff team could limit his passing by playing the recievers tight and daring him to throw deep (or even intermediate) - and we got a game full of 5 yard dump-offs against 10 guys near the line of scrimmage.

Green Bay, the Rams, really any other team we could have been up against at this point would have defended us similarly and likely gotten the same results. The playbook is now easy against Brees. Even the 8-8 Bears defended us fairly well, they just have a terrible offense.

Remember that our only big offensive play was Jamies to Trequan. Otherwise, our 3 other decent drives leaned a good bit on the run game and Brees pieced together a few good short throws. But he's just so easy to defend in the playoffs if you have a playoff-level defense.

The problem is that it was evident that any well-coached playoff team could limit his passing by playing the recievers tight and daring him to throw deep (or even intermediate) - and we got a game full of 5 yard dump-offs against 10 guys near the line of scrimmage.

Green Bay, the Rams, really any other team we could have been up against at this point would have defended us similarly and likely gotten the same results. The playbook is now easy against Brees. Even the 8-8 Bears defended us fairly well, they just have a terrible offense.

Remember that our only big offensive play was Jamies to Trequan. Otherwise, our 3 other decent drives leaned a good bit on the run game and Brees pieced together a few good short throws. But he's just so easy to defend in the playoffs if you have a playoff-level defense.

Definitely. Brees either couldn't or Payton wouldn't call plays down the field. When you can compress the defense like that and press coverages, Brees really isn't able to counteract that. It's really nothing new in terms of defending. The playoffs tends to be a lot more physical, and the dbs played it well.

We need a young strong armed qb who can get the ball in tight spots. Don't know if Winston is the answer. Hope he can be.

I'm pretty sad how SP wasted Drew's prime years. That stretch where the team had 4 out of 5 seasons of 7-9 records. Imagine if Drew had the supporting cast as he did now but back then

Just a few observations..

- Drew was no way healed up from 12 rib fractures just 2 months ago. I'm sure that limited him a bit.

- TB played our receivers tight in man coverage. 90% of the time, no one got separation.

- 2 of the 4 turnovers were directly on Jared Cook. Nothing to do with Brees. That leaves 2. 1 of which Kamara kept running vertical when he should have stopped. The remaining was a pass to Thomas where he was held/hooked long before the ball got there. The ball was exactly where it was supposed to be. At the very least, let's say that 2 of them were not Drew's fault at all. So, he had 2 int's. That's a game changer versus 4 turnovers.

- Drew has thrown the ball 40-50 yards a few times and 10-20 yards a good deal all season. His accuracy is slightly down, but still well above average.

The initial reaction that this is all on Brees.. but it's not. It is a team sport. Receivers not getting separation is not on Drew. Receivers fumbling is not on Drew.

Just some food for thought.

Drew Brees was great for years. The last 2-3 he was not and it showed last night. It's time for him to get a job showing young guys how to be great.

He might be capable of another good season but good seasons don't get it done.

He's had a great career and is a lock first ballot HOF QB............................let's leave it at that.

Just a few observations..

- Drew was no way healed up from 12 rib fractures just 2 months ago. I'm sure that limited him a bit.

- TB played our receivers tight in man coverage. 90% of the time, no one got separation.

- 2 of the 4 turnovers were directly on Jared Cook. Nothing to do with Brees. That leaves 2. 1 of which Kamara kept running vertical when he should have stopped. The remaining was a pass to Thomas where he was held/hooked long before the ball got there. The ball was exactly where it was supposed to be. At the very least, let's say that 2 of them were not Drew's fault at all. So, he had 2 int's. That's a game changer versus 4 turnovers.

- Drew has thrown the ball 40-50 yards a few times and 10-20 yards a good deal all season. His accuracy is slightly down, but still well above average.

The initial reaction that this is all on Brees.. but it's not. It is a team sport. Receivers not getting separation is not on Drew. Receivers fumbling is not on Drew.

Just some food for thought.

No one got separation because there was no threat of Brees throwing an accurate deep ball, so the defenders could just crowd our recievers at the line of scrimmage.

The pass to Cook was not accurate, poorly placed. It was on both Cook and Brees (a better Tight End catches that, but it would have been an awkward catch)

The other Cook turnover was horrible on Cook's part. He has always had concentration/ball-security issues, and yesterday was no different.

I don't think anybody should be mad at Brees for yesterday, but he has a ton of responsibility for yesterdays loss. I respect him giving his all in his final season and playing through severe injuries - but it was clear he couldn't get the ball to the places he wanted it to go all game. Again, offense like that wouldn't have beaten Green Bay or the Rams either. Any decently coached team would figure out quickly to crowd the line of scrimmage.

Brees should retire. His physical ability has dropped off from previous years. He still has the knowledge to beat many teams but the lack of arm strength is a problem, especially when he tries to throw going backwards. He needed an offensive line that keeps him clean. I noticed in the last few games, he was getting hit or rushed too many times. I, for one, am happy he stayed on this year. He still provided exciting times (especially beating Atlanta and the second Tampa game ). I do not think either Hill or Winston would have done better than Brees did the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom