Is Brees Capable of One More High-Level Season? (1 Viewer)

We have been very blessed to see first hand one of the best QB's in NFL history play for over 15 years. In addition, he was truly an example of a professional athlete giving back to his community from the day he came to New Orleans. I'll always have special memories of the Drew Brees era in New Orleans and that will never diminish. Unfortunately, father time has finally caught up with him and he needs move on to his next career where I don't doubt he will be as successful. He should go with our respect and appreciation for what he has meant to this great City!

Drew had his day(s) in the sun. We should all celebrate that.

Sadly, the reality is he's a pure pocket passer that can no longer drive the ball into tight windows and/or down field. He should retire. Sadly, also, he still has $40M in dead money over the next three years that has to be written off.

I just wonder how much stroke Payton has in all of this. Loomis is on with Pat Kirwin and JIm Miller each week. Last week Loomis said each year they give Drew his space and let HIM (meaning DREW) decide if he comes back or not. So, these last few years, based on this, means Payton had no part of the decision to keep Drew. I guess he could have benched him in favor of another QB.
CSP should have had the final decision in this case. The game day product accountability stops with him. You should never give that decision to the QB, of course the QB thinks he can continue. CSP should have said last year, you can continue to play, just not for us.

Could he ? I think so . His injury made him 75 % at best when he came back . I have had broke ribs and they take time to heal like months to fully heal . Id feel great then tweak it again . However I say its only 10% chance we see him play again . Only reason I give it 10% is because 1. We may hear that fans will be able to attend games next season , and he wants to try one more time and enjoy the ride with the fans .# 2 . He simply feels that he still has enough left for a run at it and wants to play . #3 . The Saints are hit with injury at QB preseason , Offseason , or in season , and he is asked to come in off the couch and save us . Number 3 I could only see realistically happening if we are in playoff contention and we loose our starter for the season and he feels good , rested and still has an itch deep down to play .

Have a group chat for with a bunch of friends, and one of them said this game reminded him of Manning in his last year. That kinda bothered me since I remember just how awful Manning was that final year. That said, he did just enough in the playoffs to allow their running game and D to win the SB.

It seems everywhere you go the discussions are that Drew doesn't have it anymore. The media, NFL fans and Saint fans all seem to agree on that. But what's interesting is that statistically (at least in the regular season), Brees hasn't had the drop off that QBs like Farve and Manning did in their final years.

Peyton Manning's last two seasons:
2014: 39 TDs / 15 INTs
2015: 9 TDs / 17 INTs

Brett Farve's last two seasons:
2009: 33 TDs / 7 INTs
2010: 11 TDs / 19 INTs

Drew's last three seasons:
YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
AC5-UEeN3V_fjkdFXtHWfQ_28x21.png

Saints

Saints

Saints

Compared to Manning and Farve, Brees has held up a lot better. In fact, Brees' TD/INT ratio is a lot better now than it was in his prime. I guess my question is (genuinely curious), what do you guys think is the reason that Drew's had the troubles he's had in the playoffs lately? Why does he seem to be able to do well enough during the season but look so poor in the playoffs? I get if he can't quite make the throws he used to. But he's proven he can play it smart in the season. Just not sure why he can't in the playoffs.
Nope. Stick a fork in him.

To all the people saying no, I think there's one more thing we have to do our due diligence with, first. Let him rehab from the ribs and work on throwing one more offseason. Invite him back for a workout or two, and see what he can do. Point being, we have to know if this is related to his injury or his age and we have to be 100% sure this is related to his age. We owe him that much.

I just don't get all of the "goodbye Drew" and "it's time to quit Drew" talk anymore. This has been going on for at least the last 4 years, and he's brought us to 4 more playoff berths ever since it started! Has he actually said that this game was his last? I haven't heard anything yet. Give the guy a break. Why doesn't any of the sports media EVER question Tom Brady's retirement, being that he's a year and a half older?! It makes me sick. I'll say goodbye when he says it's time and not before. That is all.

The way some people talk, it's as if they assume a new QB means we get everything Drew Brees had with the addition of a stronger arm. As if we have everything all figured out and just need a QB who can throw deep passes.

Never mind our kicker and punter going on the fritz. Aging and injury prone pass rushers. Boom or bust when it comes to special teamers. But we'll be okay if we just get the balls downfield.

I keep thinking about all the attributes we're going to lose in exchange for that arm.

How many Drew Brees' exist on this planet, let alone, aspire to play in the NFL, let alone will end up in OUR organization? It's daunting to even think about. The odds in our favor are minuscule.

To all the people saying no, I think there's one more thing we have to do our due diligence with, first. Let him rehab from the ribs and work on throwing one more offseason. Invite him back for a workout or two, and see what he can do. Point being, we have to know if this is related to his injury or his age and we have to be 100% sure this is related to his age. We owe him that much.
We don’t owe him anything except appreciation for all he did.

Decline deniers need to get a grip.

This is pretty much the answer. Love drew he is the best to ever do it in my minds but come play off time defenses just scheme wins against us. They bring pressure and jam our receivers and force everything short. Our offense has to play perfect to score points. Notice all the dropped passes today in tight coverage. Happens every year in the playoffs. Can’t expect to catch every 5-10 yard pass. I stop counting how many droppednpasses we had today. It was hard to watch. Especially with every knowing it’s Drew’s last year. Thought receivers would have been better then what they displayed. Here’s to next year fellas. We absolutely destroyed Brees prime with the worse defenses in history of the NFL. We got one but could have easily gotten 2-3 more.
It's time for Drew to go but too many times I have seen where our WRs absolutely CANNOT get separation from DBs and our O-Line can't give him time. If you give Brees a clean pocket and receivers who can separate, he can kill you.

I’m afraid the wheels really would come off if he played another season. Then his legacy would truly be stained. I’m EXTREMELY HAPPY with the years we got from him. Brees is the best and he’s ours but it’s true that all things must end. Going out now just feels right.

Love you Drew but it was time last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom