Is Brees Capable of One More High-Level Season? (1 Viewer)

It's obvious drew can still play. I think he has at least one more good season left. I hope he comes back for one more year. Otherwise it will be dark times for the saints unfortunately.

They say the legs are the first thing to go, which affects your throwing power and hence, your accuracy. I'd love Drew to have one more magical season, but it feels like the end to me. He'll have a great career, post NFL, in whatever he decides to do, and we can all gather in Canton in 6 years for the biggest party they ever saw.

Both Saints fans and other NFL fans can see its time to call it a career.

Father Time will always win out.

He doesn't have enough zip on the ball to play at his typical level anymore. Our offense is stunted with him in as QB.

Have a group chat for with a bunch of friends, and one of them said this game reminded him of Manning in his last year. That kinda bothered me since I remember just how awful Manning was that final year. That said, he did just enough in the playoffs to allow their running game and D to win the SB.

It seems everywhere you go the discussions are that Drew doesn't have it anymore. The media, NFL fans and Saint fans all seem to agree on that. But what's interesting is that statistically (at least in the regular season), Brees hasn't had the drop off that QBs like Farve and Manning did in their final years.

Peyton Manning's last two seasons:
2014: 39 TDs / 15 INTs
2015: 9 TDs / 17 INTs

Brett Farve's last two seasons:
2009: 33 TDs / 7 INTs
2010: 11 TDs / 19 INTs

Drew's last three seasons:
YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
AC5-UEeN3V_fjkdFXtHWfQ_28x21.png

Saints

Saints

Saints

Compared to Manning and Farve, Brees has held up a lot better. In fact, Brees' TD/INT ratio is a lot better now than it was in his prime. I guess my question is (genuinely curious), what do you guys think is the reason that Drew's had the troubles he's had in the playoffs lately? Why does he seem to be able to do well enough during the season but look so poor in the playoffs? I get if he can't quite make the throws he used to. But he's proven he can play it smart in the season. Just not sure why he can't in the playoffs.
No, but I am amazed at the nastiness on this thread. Ungrateful MF'ers. Please edit that if needed.

I have not read the entire thread, but I doubt that there are many "nasty" posts. Fans appreciate immensely Brees's career and recognize readily his substantial contributions to the team and region. But it seems clear that not only can Brees no longer carry a team, but the team can no longer be a legitimate Super Bowl contender with Brees. Were Brees to return, it would be a major mistake for both the player and the team. Sunday our quarterback, who has no mobility, did not attempt a pass 20 yards or longer. Game over.

Unless Winston shows substantial improvement from his level of play in Tampa, the window has completely closed. We will be taking a step backwards. We are going to lose a number of major assets this off-season and will not have next year the depth we had this year. The organization is in transition. But the first and overriding challenge is to find our future quarterback.

ah it's the old he's not getting any younger post.until he is no he isn't. This just was not the way to go out it just wasnt. I wouldn't call it either way just yet.

We were robbed of a SB 2 years ago, and came within a play of winning 2 other playoff games 3 years ago and last year. Drew has been our best option the last 3 years. We have one of the best records overall and Drew has been near the top of the league every season. This is just a ridiculous revision of history.

But sore loses will be sore I guess.

I think it’s fair for us to acknowledge that age has caught up with Drew and it has hurt us in the playoffs the last 2 years...

But this criticism that makes it sound like having Drew back these list 2 years was some kind of mismanagement of the roster when he personally had excellent production and the team won 13 and 14 games is just a ridiculous stance.

what was the expectation??? That if Brees was replaced, we would have gone 16-0 and raced thru the playoffs for two more titles? Also, who was this QB that was going to replace Brees in 19??? Bridgewater? 🙄

I think Drew has passed the threshold of diminishing returns. We have a great defense but not one that can carry a limited QB to a super bowl. I think what we saw tonight is what Drew is. His heart and mind still love the grind, but his body can’t do it anymore. He can’t make the throws that keep defenses honest.

How many passes did he throw tonight that were woefully inaccurate and probably should have been picked? I counted at least 5.

Defenses know he can’t make the throws, so they bring up the safeties and clog up the intermediate throws. It’s been the Saints undoing the past 3 postseasons.

It’s time for Drew to move on. It’s just time.

Agree 100%. He has also been injured during the last two seasons. In 2019 it was early enough that he had some time to work back to speed. This year not so much. I'm not confident his body can make a full season any longer.

As far as his obvious limitations, I think it doesn't show as much in the regular season because its not as intense as playoff football, plus the refs tend to "let the defenses play" more in the post season which gives an advantage to press man coverages - which Drew can no longer take advantage of with his legs or arm.

Have a group chat for with a bunch of friends, and one of them said this game reminded him of Manning in his last year. That kinda bothered me since I remember just how awful Manning was that final year. That said, he did just enough in the playoffs to allow their running game and D to win the SB.

It seems everywhere you go the discussions are that Drew doesn't have it anymore. The media, NFL fans and Saint fans all seem to agree on that. But what's interesting is that statistically (at least in the regular season), Brees hasn't had the drop off that QBs like Farve and Manning did in their final years.

Peyton Manning's last two seasons:
2014: 39 TDs / 15 INTs
2015: 9 TDs / 17 INTs

Brett Farve's last two seasons:
2009: 33 TDs / 7 INTs
2010: 11 TDs / 19 INTs

Drew's last three seasons:
YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating

Saints

Saints

Saints

Compared to Manning and Farve, Brees has held up a lot better. In fact, Brees' TD/INT ratio is a lot better now than it was in his prime. I guess my question is (genuinely curious), what do you guys think is the reason that Drew's had the troubles he's had in the playoffs lately? Why does he seem to be able to do well enough during the season but look so poor in the playoffs? I get if he can't quite make the throws he used to. But he's proven he can play it smart in the season. Just not sure why he can't in the playoffs.
We can win 8 games a year with Brees, due to poor play by our opponents and our running game and defense. But we need another 10 mil QB to back him up(injury prone/its' just age) and we will never get out of the playoffs with his arm strength.

I just don't get all of the "goodbye Drew" and "it's time to quit Drew" talk anymore. This has been going on for at least the last 4 years, and he's brought us to 4 more playoff berths ever since it started! Has he actually said that this game was his last? I haven't heard anything yet. Give the guy a break. Why doesn't any of the sports media EVER question Tom Brady's retirement, being that he's a year and a half older?! It makes me sick. I'll say goodbye when he says it's time and not before. That is all.
Personally I still think he can come in a win again. With him in the line up, there is always a chance. I love that feeling. However age doesn't spare anyone. This has to be the most challenging year he has ever faced. He did wanted to retire last year but figured he can do one more. Well got into a nationwide outrage with his interview that pretty much endangered him and his whole family. Covid causing no otas, camps, or quality time with his players. Played through injuries that no one outside the coaches knew about. Cracked up every rib in his body. Thinking for him to continue to be successful, everything now has to be perfect. No injuries, dramas, better players added, great defense. He can't do it all his own anymore.

Physically and mentally he can still do it. But I think it is in the best interest for both the team and himself is to move on. We all know it will come eventually. Either do it now or risk delaying or missing a chance of getting another franchise quarterback for another year.

I think the most important question is what's best for the organization. Using that criteria, trying to squeeze one more year out of Brees does very little for us. We have a young core of players that we need to maximize their prime with a new QB. Also, I think the zero-sum calculation with our next QB is unnecessary. The next guy doesn't have to be a Drew caliber player, just someone respectable until we find someone special through the draft or free agency. We have a playoff roster and Teddy and Taysom have proven that we are capable of winning without Drew.

The crazy thing is, we have to pay him (cap appropriation) $23M whether he plays on not. If he plays, his cap hit is $36M. If he retires, his cap hit is $23M and we are currently $95M over the 2021 projected cap. That is almost double the next highest team, which is the Eagles. They mortgaged the future for the last couple of years. At some point, we are going to see a purge of high prices veterans and dead money hell, which will probably be next year. I don't know how they make that math work out next season.

I think it’s fair for us to acknowledge that age has caught up with Drew and it has hurt us in the playoffs the last 2 years...

[But] what was the expectation??? That if Brees was replaced, we would have gone 16-0 and raced thru the playoffs for two more titles?
I don't understand that part either. Like with someone else, we would've been exactly where we were, but even better? In most cases, a declining Drew Brees is better than an average QB's best days.

I don't mind acknowledging that we have to look towards a future without him, but I'm astonished at how posters make it sound like he was our main problem and somehow held us back. Like the New Orleans Saints are going to be great with or without him.

Who do they think we are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom