Is Bush having a hard time adjusting to the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Found this from Fox DVOA ratings:

"Projected record: 10-6 Everybody knows that the Saints have been better running the ball up the middle rather than around the ends this season. But did you know that the defense is also better up the middle? FO's Adjusted Line Yards stats (see here) rank the Saints 29th stopping runs around left end or right end, but fourth stopping runs listed as going behind a guard or up the middle. NEXT: at PIT"

It seems that Bush's tendency to bounce the ball outside might be based upon things he sees in practice everyday that are not there during games on Sunday.

I really can appreciate a great observation. This is a great one. Not sure if I buy it, but it is plausible.

Media exposure eh? So, what came first, chicken or the... Watching Bush at USC, the young fella certainly deserved all of the accolades, respect and media attention. Most experts thought that he was the best collegiate player in the draft. Now that he is with the Saints and has had difficulties running ball, you are saying that Reggie is a product of media hype?

I've sat back and read many posts and it appears that some posters are seeking out every Bush thread and repeating the same argument over and over. For the record, he is struggling rushing at tailback for a number of reasons. I wonder; however, why some are quick to harp on this and totally ignore his contributions in the passing game. It's almost like some have forgotten his many key receptions that arguably were the difference between a W and L. He and the offense need to improve the run game. He is not; however, simply an overhyped media creation as you have stated.

I'm gonna address this one more time, and after I address it may God bless it.

***I*** did not see Reggie Bush the successful college running back translating well to Reggie Bush the _________ professional running back; this going directly against the near-consensus opinion that Bush would have a seamless transition into the NFL (quick, google Reggie Bush rookie of the year, and see how many articles have summer dates on them). None of this has anything to do with the fact that he is a Saint; do recall that we weren't even supposed to get him and I'll argue that without the Katrina crap of 2005, we wouldn't have even been in position to get him. I left a big blank there, proving my commitment to wait and see; however, my prognosis in Nov. 2005 still holds water.

Three semi-colons in one thought process. Huzzah.

I'm gonna address this one more time, and after I address it may God bless it.

***I*** did not see Reggie Bush the successful college running back translating well to Reggie Bush the _________ professional running back; this going directly against the near-consensus opinion that Bush would have a seamless transition into the NFL (quick, google Reggie Bush rookie of the year, and see how many articles have summer dates on them). None of this has anything to do with the fact that he is a Saint; do recall that we weren't even supposed to get him and I'll argue that without the Katrina crap of 2005, we wouldn't have even been in position to get him. I left a big blank there, proving my commitment to wait and see; however, my prognosis in Nov. 2005 still holds water.

Three semi-colons in one thought process. Huzzah.

Your post reads as though you are replying to another post. I disagreed with your opinion that the only thing "that separates Bush from other fast, shifty guys is media exposure". It's fine if you felt in Nov of 05, or whenever, that Bush would not project into a solid NFL running back. Honestly, it just seems that you are targeting all Bush threads and attempting to remind everyone that you said this before the season started. It seems like each time someone challenges your opinion, you dismiss their thoughts are "bad excuses" in your words.

I love good debate and objective criticisms of players, coaches etc. It just seems a bit odd to have so many posts/threads (with many of the same posters) repeating the same criticisms of a player when we are sitting at 6-2. While Bush hasn't lit the world on fire running the ball, he has obviously had a huge impact in the passing game. I agree that he has a lot of work ahead of him to enhance his running game, but I don't feel it's necessary to visit every thread with an "I told you so" or "you are wrong, you are just giving excuses" type of approach. We are winning. Just my opinion, but I would guess that many may be getting tired of these types of posts. Just my opinion by the way.

Danchrism, I have to ask....are you keeping up with Bush because he's on your FFL team? It just seems that some people are obsessing about his stats and not looking at the big picture about what Reggie is doing for his team.

Reggie does what the coach says to do - and we're winning. Period. Reggie's job is not to get great stats to help FFLers' teams win. He does what Payton says, and WE win. :D Saints fans I've talked to are VERY happy with Reggie, even if his role for now is decoy, and the points/stats are spread every which way between others. Good for Reggie. :)

I'm OK with the "freak of nature" category; watching this guy catch swing passes reaching back one-handed and the like show me that he's also got tremendous hand-eye coordination to go with great speed and gear-changing ability.

He'll have to do some things differently (I'd like to see him run a little lower and slower at the beginnings of plays to maintain strength and a base, for one thing), and I suspect he'll get bigger and stronger as he ages a little, he's still pretty young. And nobody EVER projected him as a 25-30 carry per game back anyway, in the traditional sense.

But you know what? We don't have many George Rogers clones in the league any more. I'm willing to see what a little older and stronger Reggie Bush does next year before I throw him in the dime-a-dozen category, as a couple of folks are wont to do.

For the last time bush will be fine. Besides we are 6-2. :D

I scratch my head watching people try to figure out what is going on with reggie, looking for every reason except what you can actually see on the screen on sundays. If you have the option (dvr or even video tape) hit the pause button when reggie gets the ball. Count the defenders flowing to make the tackle. Now pause the screen when the ball is faked to him. That's a good place to start.

In addition, throughout a game watch how many times the saints convert third and short by throwing the ball.

Then, look up reggies pro stats for the last three years...... google that. You may be surprised to find that he is a rookie. When considering that he is a rookie, ask yourself how many times you've watched a player digest a running game, blitz protection schemes and a passing game in basically four weeks (training camp)

With these helpful handy tools you may come to the conclusion that defenses are selling out to stop reggie, the o line isn't the best runblocking unit in the league, and the coaches know that (ie play selection, short yardage and even redzone). Reggie is a rookie, but obviously pro ready as he has digested and put to work more information in his brief career than TO can hire a person to write for him no matter the timeline.

Or you can come to the conclusion that there must be a mystery at play. Good luck and god bless.

Last edited:
Danchrism, I have to ask....are you keeping up with Bush because he's on your FFL team? It just seems that some people are obsessing about his stats and not looking at the big picture about what Reggie is doing for his team.

Reggie does what the coach says to do - and we're winning. Period. Reggie's job is not to get great stats to help FFLers' teams win. He does what Payton says, and WE win. :D Saints fans I've talked to are VERY happy with Reggie, even if his role for now is decoy, and the points/stats are spread every which way between others. Good for Reggie. :)

I avoided him like the plague. Felt he was ranked too high.

I keep up with stats because I can't see the games. They're my best -- NOT ONLY -- barometer by which I can measure him. I see numbers telling me he's not getting it done, then I see numbers indicating that others are getting it done. Whatever. I'll take it. I can't pull myself to even follow the Bears seriously, so I need all the excitement (in the forms of wins and losses) I can get. :9:

I keep up with stats because I can't see the games. They're my best -- NOT ONLY -- barometer by which I can measure him. I see numbers telling me he's not getting it done, then I see numbers indicating that others are getting it done. Whatever. I'll take it. I can't pull myself to even follow the Bears seriously, so I need all the excitement (in the forms of wins and losses) I can get. :9:

You don't watch the games, that would explain a lot. You say stats are not the only measure you are using, well what else can you use if you can't see the games.

Watch some games, download the torrents that are posted, and you will see his impact. :)

Your post reads as though you are replying to another post. I disagreed with your opinion that the only thing "that separates Bush from other fast, shifty guys is media exposure". It's fine if you felt in Nov of 05, or whenever, that Bush would not project into a solid NFL running back. Honestly, it just seems that you are targeting all Bush threads and attempting to remind everyone that you said this before the season started. It seems like each time someone challenges your opinion, you dismiss their thoughts are "bad excuses" in your words.

I love good debate and objective criticisms of players, coaches etc. It just seems a bit odd to have so many posts/threads (with many of the same posters) repeating the same criticisms of a player when we are sitting at 6-2. While Bush hasn't lit the world on fire running the ball, he has obviously had a huge impact in the passing game. I agree that he has a lot of work ahead of him to enhance his running game, but I don't feel it's necessary to visit every thread with an "I told you so" or "you are wrong, you are just giving excuses" type of approach. We are winning. Just my opinion, but I would guess that many may be getting tired of these types of posts. Just my opinion by the way.

I know I'm getting tired of them!!

Nope on pace for a 92 receptions as of Nov. 8, 06.

I know this may sound like a controversial question and granted I dont know if it fits his career, but did the Saints make the right decision in getting Reggie Bush last April, did we think his adjustment would be this rough this late into his rookie season, guys I just dont see that burst he had in college with this team. He just looks to be struggling a bit to me, I wonder it he is still a work in progress and needs to be refined.
I just look at Drew Brees and Marques Colston, hell even Deuce has done his fair share with the team somewhat, its just the impact Bush was supposed to make hasnt come yet, and I am wondering if it will come anytime soon?

Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am jumping the gun here, its just I want the man to succeed, and he has in some ways done that, its just been the other rookie that has doen the better job and overall production that we were expecting out of Bush that we got out of him.

and you know what Bush may succeed in doing a good job later on this season, I just hope its sooner then later

You don't watch the games, that would explain a lot. You say stats are not the only measure you are using, well what else can you use if you can't see the games.

Watch some games, download the torrents that are posted, and you will see his impact. :)

I've discovered Sopcast just recently, and I'll be watching every game provided now. I really wanna believe the "the entire defense goes to #25 if the ball even casts a shadow his direction" rhetoric I've been reading, because if that's the case then hey I'll ride it to a 12-4 record. But I know that it's ultimately in the hands of each opponent's defensive gameplanning, so I'll watch with guarded trepidation. Or something.

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you have over 100 posts in less than a week mostly criticizing one particular player and you do not watch the games?

If this is correct, please take it from someone that does watch the games: he, as well as all of our running backs, are doing just fine. Take a look at the "Different Perspective" thread I posted. You should see a lot of posters on that thread who watch the game live and who also dvr it. I think you might get a different reaction.

I've discovered Sopcast just recently, and I'll be watching every game provided now. I really wanna believe the "the entire defense goes to #25 if the ball even casts a shadow his direction" rhetoric I've been reading, because if that's the case then hey I'll ride it to a 12-4 record. But I know that it's ultimately in the hands of each opponent's defensive gameplanning, so I'll watch with guarded trepidation. Or something.

If you get a bittorrent program, you can download some of the previous games to watch. It really is amazing how much the defenses focus on him. He can definitely do better rushing the football, but remember he's used to huge holes to run through, our o-line's run blocking is not that great so I think he just instinctively bounces outside. He will learn patience I'm sure and once he sees enough film on himself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom