Is Byrd Actually Trying or Just Playing Out his Contract Trying not get Injured? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of the Byrd signing. I have been very patient and understanding of his injuries still believing he would return to pro bowl status.

I just rewatched the game last night and saw Byrd over and over literally moving away from the action when it was coming towards him. The 1st time, I just thought it to be an anomaly. The 2nd time I got irritated and the third time I was in shock. What a terrible display of leadership and effort.

Is he just not trying to get hurt during pre-season? Is he simply playing out the string of his contract avoiding contact? Is he simply scared now after all the injuries? Or.......?

I'm sure he doesn't want to get injured. If it carries over to the regular season, he'll just be benched.

i already think in terms of byrd not contributing to this team. if he does its like house money. if he's for real dodging contact during the season i think sean would sit him. we've come this far. if he's on the way out it's bell time.

I've been saying he needs to go for over a year now. I use to catch a lot of flak for it but now it seems a lot more people are seeing it.

I'm sure playing it safe is his angle but I still think bell is our new ball Hawking safety so Byrd better not play it too safe because 48 was everywhere out there I caught bell getting caught on the cut back run and thought it was a good time for a rookie mistake that he can fix also his pass deflections will start turning into picks. I'm loving the battle

I was a huge fan of the Byrd signing. I have been very patient and understanding of his injuries still believing he would return to pro bowl status.

I just rewatched the game last night and saw Byrd over and over literally moving away from the action when it was coming towards him. The 1st time, I just thought it to be an anomaly. The 2nd time I got irritated and the third time I was in shock. What a terrible display of leadership and effort.

Is he just not trying to get hurt during pre-season? Is he simply playing out the string of his contract avoiding contact? Is he simply scared now after all the injuries? Or.......?

Exactly what plays were you seeing? I just rewatched the 1st quarter and here is the list of plays where Byrd was on the screen. All times are from the start of the play;

13:58 - Run play for a loss. Byrd runs onto the screen after the play is over.
8:54 - Long pass nicely broken up by Kenny Vaccaro. Byrd in the play over the top.
8:49 - Run play for a yard, Byrd shows up on the tv screen right before it cuts away.
6:09 - Pass for 10 yards, Byrd comes onto the screen over the top. Replay show Byrd shadowing the play.
4:56 - Pass for 15 yards. Byrd again playing over the top. Replay show Byrd coming forward after the completion.
3:42 - Running play on 3rd and mile. Byrd show up before they cut away.

That does it for his time in the game. The second quarter was Harris playing single high, and then after that Bell took over the roll. From the replays it looks like Byrd was playing 25-30 yards off the ball at the start of the play.

Byrd has never been a great man-up safety. His forte in Buffalo was to be covering one receiver, recognize the play, and come off his man to make a play on the ball. It was that recognition before mere mortals could do it that made him special.

Besides always being hurt, well most of the time, he wasn't really given the freedom to come off his man in Rob Ryan's scheme. Everybody was supposed to follow their assignments.

Now if Dennis Allen's defense holds true to what he allowed as a secondary coach, Byrd will be encouraged again to make the type of plays he made in Buffalo.

What remains to be seen is if he's still physically capable of doing it.

It's preseason! What he needs to prove should happen when it counts. If he is hitting hard in preseason games and gets hurt the same crowd here will be complaining about that too. Cut him some slack until regular season when it counts.

If I was a starting safety, id save the brutal collisions.and cleanups for the regular season

I am sure he is trying his hardest but he may either be doing as you suggest and avoiding needless injury or he is just physically trying to get ready for the live bullets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom