Is Cam Newton Having a Down Year or Have We Seen his Best? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
I watched the Carolina game yesterday. Yes they won with about 20 FGs, but the Panthers of last year would have won by 50.

Newton was making poor decisions and trying to force the ball. When he should have run, he threw it away most of the time. His passes were terribly innacurate - or many of them.

Did Denver destroy Newton's confidence permanently? Or do you think Cam will return next year to his previous levels? To me personally, it looked like he had already mailed in the season. He just looks so immature.

I think the best is behind him. Colin Cowherd said it best. Take out 2015 and he's barely a .500 QB.

He's a huge disappointment. However, I have to think that he's even worse simply because he knows his season is over with.

He's only as good as his team around him. Last year he had a top 5 o-line and the number 6 defense. This year, both groups are pedestrian and so is Cam. He's not a guy that can carry a team on his back. Quite the opposite, he needs a good team to carry him.

We can only hope we've seen his best. The problem is we usually lose to Carolina even when they don't have good quarterbacking.

Look at last year's stats. They are all WELL within his normal range of stats. Except TD's. Somehow, he simply accounted for a LOT more TD's. More goal line carries, more possessions given to him by his defense, fewer drops by his WR's, whatever you want to point to. The rest of his stats were perfectly normal and perfectly average.

He is what he is.

A dominant physical presence who by pure luck will morph into what "appears" to be an unstoppable force once every 5 years or so.

The rest of the time, he will be Clark Kent.

A mild mannered, bumbling doofus.

Look at last year's stats. They are all WELL within his normal range of stats. Except TD's. Somehow, he simply accounted for a LOT more TD's. More goal line carries, more possessions given to him by his defense, fewer drops by his WR's, whatever you want to point to. The rest of his stats were perfectly normal and perfectly average.

He is what he is.

A dominant physical presence who by pure luck will morph into what "appears" to be an unstoppable force once every 5 years or so.

The rest of the time, he will be Clark Kent.

A mild mannered, bumbling doofus.

Except people actually like Clark Kent.

Their offense need a pretty good RB to work. IF Carolina gets Fournette in the draft, it's going to be trouble for the NFC South.

As much as I hate to say it, I think he's having a down year largely because their defense isn't as good, particularly in the secondary. They have given up more big plays and points this year and it has put more on the shoulders of Cam Newton and he has come up short mostly. Think about it, last year the defense was so good that it allowed Cam to play more freely and loosely. That's why he was dabbing and smiling so much because it was easy for him. Until the Super Bowl where he ran into an even more elite defense. That coupled with the loss of Josh Norman has made this a lost season for the Panthers. I expect them to reload and make another run next season. I just hope the Saints do a better job and sweep them for once!!!

I think the best is behind him. Colin Cowherd said it best. Take out 2015 and he's barely a .500 QB.

Just got back from the gym and asked Pete about this. He had a very quick, very strong response," Wade Phillips and the Broncos Defense destroyed Cam's psyche. In fact, they destroyed the entire Panther psyche including Rivera. Rivera allowed the Panthers immature team behavior over the past 3 years and it came down crashing along with Superman. Except for the great coaches who can turn around toxic team culture, this is when coaches move on. It usually takes a replacement of the coaches to change the team chemistry."

Pete will be the 1st to admit that he is often wrong, but I've watched him over the past 3-years and he hits on about 80% plus.

Let's pretend that Pete's point of losing a team to toxic culture is correct. Does that possibly apply to us? I personally believe 2017 will be a big year. If not, let's gut the coaching staff, get a real GM and start again. Am I being a blinded Homer or how many of you think we are past that point with this coaching staff?

He is showing this year that if it is up to him to carry the team, they will not be successful. They need an elite ground game and elite defense for him to do what he does. He isn't good enough without those two things working simultaneously.

Cam is just being Cam. He's good when he's on a winning streak and a pouty, mopey little ***** when he's losing. That's who he is and who he has always been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom