Is Clowney an option? (1 Viewer)

He's just a name. One hit in college made this dude famous. If you look at his NFL production he isn't worth anywhere near what he's asking for. That's why he's unsigned. He has all the tools, but it doesn't equate to production. That's an easy pass for me.

Edit: Clowney hasn't had a single season with double digit sacks. That's playing next to JJ Watt. Let that sink in if you are one of those who think he's worth that much money.

Last edited:
He's just a name. One hit in college made this dude famous. If you look at his NFL production he isn't worth anywhere near what he's asking for. That's why he's unsigned. He has all the tools, but it doesn't equate to production. That's an easy pass for me.

And not to highjack, but this is a recurring theme for DE. They destroy good but not great OL in college, and get lots of hype. In the pros, the OL they face are completely different creatures.

Since he's been in the league (since 2014), Jadeveon Clowney has never, EVER had double-digit sacks in a season. I know he's been banged up off & on, but this stat is despite the fact that during most of those seasons, he had J.J. Watt as an opposite bookend.

No thanks. He's not worth what he's asking, IMO. Now, if he comes in at Vet minimum (which is pretty much impossible)... I'd say go for it.

:gosaints:

I agree. I don't understand how he can ask for that much. I don't think he's that good and then the injuries are concerning. Maybe b/c he's young still and people still see potential but for all the reasons you gave I would not pay him that much.

I would pay Everson Griffin close to $10 million even if it's a one year deal tho b/c he is proven and he would be an asset to our team as a veteran player esp since we have health issues and can't really trust Rankins and Davenport when we really need them. Griffin would provide us insurance and leadership on that line.

I agree. I don't understand how he can ask for that much. I don't think he's that good and then the injuries are concerning. Maybe b/c he's young still and people still see potential but for all the reasons you gave I would not pay him that much.

I would pay Everson Griffin close to $10 million even if it's a one year deal tho b/c he is proven and he would be an asset to our team as a veteran player esp since we have health issues and can't really trust Rankins and Davenport when we really need them. Griffin would provide us insurance and leadership on that line.
This I agree with. I would prefer Griffen over Clowney, Clowney has too much injury concerns and has under performed most of his career. Griffen is a proven commodity, plus he brings veteran leadership to the locker room and the field.

I got to see a lot of Clowney when JJ got hurt and even though he might not have gotten the sacks he was a major disruption. Those are my favorite players. I just do not want to spend too much money but we need depth at the position due to injury concerns of the starters not named Cam. Griffen is a disruptor as well so either honestly works for me be we need another player.

And not to highjack, but this is a recurring theme for DE. They destroy good but not great OL in college, and get lots of hype. In the pros, the OL they face are completely different creatures.
Yep. Speed won't consistently win in the nfl. If that's all a DE has then he better have some dogs playing next to him or he better develop some pass rush moves. Clowney has never had double digit sacks in his career. And that's playing with Watt. Let that sink in.

A nascar package of Cam, Dav, Rankins, Onyamata, and Clowney does make one salivate... but I just don't see him taking lower money in a rotational role for a year. But if he would take 10 or less a year in situational rotation.... think he would get that double digit sack year.

Just don't see it happening...

Exactly, too bad we couldn't have a system where they paid per game, then an injury pay if you can't play. Then we could rotate Davenport and Clowney and not have to pay a fortune. I don't see either playing much more then 10 games a piece for the rest of their careers, guys are just too big and too fast now, injuries come along with that.

Edit: Clowney hasn't had a single season with double digit sacks. That's playing next to JJ Watt. Let that sink in if you are one of those who think he's worth that much money.
He has always been one of the most overrated players in football, college & pros. He would destroy o-lines in college with zero NFL potential. When he took on NFL potential o-lines he would disappear. Of course he would make 1 good play & disappear & the media would state that offensives were focused on him & it would give the rest of d-line room to dominate. That never happened though. He has been over-hyped since 10th grade. He has the physical skills to be dominate but I don't think the heart is there. I know injuries take a toll but he is a spurt player & those spurts are very short. How many times have I seen that one good/great play in the highlights then he isn't mentioned again? 20 million a year, bah, film don't lie & the scouting departments have 6 years of it.

Last edited:
He has always been one of the most overrated players in football, college & pros. He would destroy o-lines in college with zero NFL potential. When he took on NFL potential o-lines he would disappear. Of course he would make 1 good play & disappear & the media would state that offensives were focused on him & it would give the rest of d-line room to dominate. That never happened though. He has been over-hyped since 10th grade. He has the physical skills to make dominate but I don't think the heart is there. I know injuries take a toll but he is a spurt player & those spurts are very short. How many times have I seen that one good/great play in the highlights then he isn't mentioned again? 20 million a year, bah, film don't lie & the scouting departments have 6 years of it.
Exactly. If he was elite he would already be signed. He thinks more of himself than he actually is and that's another bad trait. Tackles in the NFL are really good and just physical talent alone won't get it done. Whether it's his heart, lack of film study, injuries, or something else he just never produces.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom