Is cord cutting a legitimate option for the die-hard sports fan? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I am not going to dive deep into the recent layoffs at the ESPN Network which resulted in over 100 people losing their jobs. The explained reason that there were so many layoffs at the network is that the company is losing cable subscribers at an alarming rate. Those customers have now joined the cord-cutting revolution that is sweeping throughout the United States of America right now.

Is Cord Cutting A Legitimate Option For the Die-Hard Sports Fan? | Tops Sports

Absolutely....IF you have a friend or relative that still subscribes to cable. We went internet only but have the ESPN app and Sling and Netflix.

If you access the ESPN app on a smart TV or through a Sling device, all you need is your friends login from their cable provider. My inlaws still have Comcast cable and will until the day they die, which is hopefully a long time away. About 4 families of siblings all have the login credentials and we all watch ESPN's vast array of networks using their login. Major broadcast networks come in over the air (digital now) and several providers also have apps that work as long as you have a cable login.

Now if you don't have a cable subscription login that somebody shared with you, thats another story.

I got an HD antenna, works decent, im told though if I get it above the tree line, then it works like magic.
I watched a lot of saints games on it. Sometimes it fuzzies up a bit but Im satisfied with not having to pay a cable company.

It's funny my cousins wife just posted asking for suggestions trying to get away from Cox. PlayStation Vue and Sling TV have plenty of options for sports if a OTA antenna isn't enough.

Yep. HD antenna and Sling TV. I haven't had cable in 2 seasons.

Cord cutting is a small part of why those people were fired. The biggest reason is they're overpaying and many things are events that no one watches. The Longhorn Network, NFL games, NBA games, etc are all either not watched enough or are costing too much. The word is that ESPN is looking for a way out of the Longhorn Network now.

Of course notice that the talent gets fired while the people who made the poor business decisions kept their jobs. They'll probably get bonuses.

I'm seriously contemplating this but haven't found a solution that includes NFL network and the Red Zone channel.

Also, most internet providers charge you for the internet if you "bundle" the service. Anyone found a provider that doesn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty pleased with Playstation Vue. I pay for the middle package which includes Golf Channel, all the ESPN, NFL Network, MLB Network, and NBA TV, plus multiple Fox Sports channels. On top of that, you can get Sunday Ticket on the PlayStation as well. Would recommend it if you have the console already.

Definitely go with PlayStation Vue. I subscribe to it just so I can have NFL network and ESPN logins for my tablet while I'm away from home.

I actually kept Charter, but I have an HDHomerun Prime and Nexus Player (ie: android TV) devices connected to all TVs. So my cable + internet bill is only 90 bucks (40 each plus taxes). If you are looking to keep cable, it can be done cheaply with the right equipment.

I negotiate the price to keep it the same annually, but if it ever goes up, I will probably cut the cord and just go to sling, playstation vue, or directv now.

Add Kodi and other fun stuff to the android box, and you are set.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom