Is cord cutting a legitimate option for the die-hard sports fan? (1 Viewer)

I'm seriously contemplating this but haven't found a solution that includes NFL network and the Red Zone channel.

Also, most internet providers charge you for the internet if you "bundle" the service. Anyone found a provider that doesn't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have Sunday Ticket, RedZone, NFL Network, all ESPN networks, all the FSNs, etc with a FireTV.

Sunday Ticket is $200 ($100 if you're a student)
SlingTV is $25 for basic service plus the sports package which has everything else.

PlayStation Vue is good of you like to have DVR capability. The quantity of channels is larger too, but it's also more $$$. The whole reason I dropped cancel a decade ago was I grew tired of paying for stuff I didn't watch. I'm good with on demand which SlingTV has for just about everything we watch. During the off-season, I shut it all off be sure I don't watch it. SlingTV credentials work for several apps, including WatchESPN.

If the choice weren't just mine, I'd cut the cord too.

No interest in 90% of the channels on my TV. And truthfully, most of the TV shows I watch are ones that are reruns of stuff I binge watch on Netflix.

Would much rather get Sling TV or something like that and spend the difference in money on upping my internet speed.

If you want to stay within the law, a good antenna and Sling TV is probably your best bet right now. I've subscribed since it came out and they recently started making deals with regional sports carriers too. Just last month they started streaming Comcast Sports Net (CSN) in 3 regions (including Mid-Atlantic, luckily for me) and NBCSNs.

It's easy to change your extras subscriptions online so you don't subscribe to the college sports extra channels year round for instance, which is nice.

There are of course things that I wish were better but overall, I'm pretty happy with it now that RSNs are in the mix.

EDIT: Oh yeah and they just launched a DVR feature that I haven't checked out yet but it's an option.

I have Sunday Ticket, RedZone, NFL Network, all ESPN networks, all the FSNs, etc with a FireTV.

SlingTV is $25 for basic service plus the sports package which has everything else.

PlayStation Vue is good of you like to have DVR capability. The quantity of channels is larger too, but it's also more $$$. The whole reason I dropped cancel a decade ago was I grew tired of paying for stuff I didn't watch. I'm good with on demand which SlingTV has for just about everything we watch. During the off-season, I shut it all off be sure I don't watch it. SlingTV credentials work for several apps, including WatchESPN.

As 4T said, Sling just launched a cloud DVR service for $5/month.

How do you get Sunday Ticket? I've been curious about that. I cut the cord a few months ago and got PlayStation Vue, but was thinking I may have to return to Directv when football season starts in order to get Sunday Ticket. Can you get it without Directv? I have a Fire tv btw.

Kodi And HD antenna here.
Sling and PlayStation vue are
good options. get the 7 day free trial
and see how u like it.

How do you get Sunday Ticket? I've been curious about that. I cut the cord a few months ago and got PlayStation Vue, but was thinking I may have to return to Directv when football season starts in order to get Sunday Ticket. Can you get it without Directv? I have a Fire tv btw.
NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV

Let's say you can't get DirecTV. Maybe trees or a tall building block a view of the SW sky. Perhaps you live in a dorm. DirecTV still wants your money and now you can give it to them. I've been getting g it for 2 years now and it works beautifully.

All who cut the cord need to defend net neutrality. Without it, these low cost alternatives will not be low cost much longer.

I cut the cord years ago. I don't watch games at home though.

Interesting stat about cord-cutting effects on the cable industry...

Cable's day of reckoning has come. With all the major cable and satellite companies having reported their quarterly numbers, analyst firm MoffettNathanson put together a new cord-cutting report, and things are bad. Pay-TV providers lost an estimated 762,000 pay-TV subscribers over the first three months of this year—five times more than they lost during the same period last year. To make matters worse, Q1 has historically been a strong season for pay TV.

https://news.fastcompany.com/cord-cutting-spikes-fivefold-in-cable-tvs-worst-quarter-ever-4036578

If I lived in the market I would have done this a long time ago. I really don't see another way to watch live games in HD without sunday ticket in GA though.

Pretty pleased with Playstation Vue. I pay for the middle package which includes Golf Channel, all the ESPN, NFL Network, MLB Network, and NBA TV, plus multiple Fox Sports channels. On top of that, you can get Sunday Ticket on the PlayStation as well. Would recommend it if you have the console already.

I cut the cord about a year ago. Started with Sling TV and switched to PS Vue about 6 months ago. You can get all the sports you want with either one. I just liked the new lineup on the PS Vue better for a few channels (BBC America and Discovery) which Sling TV did not have. I used to pay Direct TV $170 per month with HBO. I now pay $65 per month with HBO and every other channel that I want.

By the way, you don't need a Playstation to have Playstation Vue. I have a PS 4, but I use an Amazon Fire TV to run the PS Vue app because of ease of use.

You get the same thing with SlingTV, but cheaper.

Worked out to the same price for me and PSVue has a few channels that I wanted that Sling TV doesn't have. But either is a great option. It just depends on the channel lineup that you want.

Athough, I do have to say that I think the PSVue user interface is worlds better and more advanced than Sling TV. But that's not surprising since Sony has spent years developing intutive user interfaces for the Playstation.

Worked out to the same price for me and PSVue has a few channels that I wanted that Sling TV doesn't have. But either is a great option. It just depends on the channel lineup that you want.

Athough, I do have to say that I think the PSVue user interface is worlds better and more advanced than Sling TV. But that's not surprising since Sony has spent years developing intutive user interfaces for the Playstation.
When I last checked it was $15 to add the package that had NFL Network. That was at the beginning of the past season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom