Is cord cutting a legitimate option for the die-hard sports fan? (1 Viewer)

I used this site (that someone posted in another thread) and went with youtube tv and Philo.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

So far, they are pretty good, but in my area, youtube tv does not have NBC. It has NBC on demand, but not regular broadcast.

My go to now is reddit.. for MLB this year just search reddit mlb streams and you won't be let down, been a link to a flawless stream every time.

Reason being, if you post a bad link on reddit you get excoriated by the community there and everyone wants up votes.

So after reading this article, I'd thought it would be good to ask if anyone is starting to feel this way with regards to your experiences.

Let’s break it down. For starters, the average price of American internet service is $68 a month, according to this research. If you subscribe to the four major streaming services — Amazon Video, HBO NOW, Hulu and Netflix — you probably end up on the hook for roughly $45 every month. And that’s before you factor in the price of new entrants, like the much-hyped Disney+, and their cache of exclusive content.

The net result? A growing number of consumers who subscribe to the noisy jumble of streaming platforms may find themselves saddled with a bill that hovers above $100 a month — nearly as pricey as the $120 monthly average for standard cable/internet packages. (NBCUniversal, the parent company of NBC News, is a subsidiary of Comcast.)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/bundle-strikes-back-how-streaming-caught-cable-tv-prices-n959101

Not me.

In the U.S., I do pay $100 a month for internet only ( 300 Mbps), and we do have a sub to Netflix, but that's it. For sporting events, plenty of streams out there.

IPTV. It's DTV plus more for $20 a month or less. I get everything in HD. Nfl package, every movie channel, SEC Network, every local channel from the USA, etc. Paying cable, DTV, or Dish, is not smart at all today.

Latest Cord Cutting Setup
60Mbps $49.99 (Spectrum) - faster/more expensive available but this setup doesn't seem to need it.
Sling $40 (ESPN, Fox Sports) - edit now at $25/month for Sling Orange only.
HD Home run (local OTA broadcast/Sports) Free after $125 Quattro buy and $40 HD Antenna. The HD box allows 4 OTA simultaneous streams and more important to me optimum placement of a single antenna.

I have 3 FireTV's to pull it all to the various TV's. I settled on FireTV after mostly successful rounds with Roku products. The FireTV's seem to work better in my house.

$89.99 Monthly - edit that I did kill off SlingBlue (Espn) to knock my price down $20/month.

Now at $69.99 Monthly.

Now for the kicker -- reddit is still my friend on some Sundays. :)

I haven't missed much/anything that I can think of .

Probably drop sling down to $25 version now that college football is over. Edit - dropped this tier after Nat Champ Game. I don't need ESPN thru the year.

Other $
$11 Netflix - for wife / kids
$10? Not sure of exact. Amazon Prime - mainly for shipping so don't count the video cost

Last edited:
So after reading this article, I'd thought it would be good to ask if anyone is starting to feel this way with regards to your experiences.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/bundle-strikes-back-how-streaming-caught-cable-tv-prices-n959101

There are a lot of assumption in this article. For instance, are there really that many people that are subscribing to all four services? Also, they put in the full cost of Amazon prime for the video. Almost NO ONE buys Amazon Prime to JUST get the video. Amazon Prime video is an add on that brings value to the rest of Prime's offerings. I'm not sure there is a good way to add that in to accurately catch the actual cost to consumers.

Also, the vast majority of people don't watch more than half the channels available on cable or sat. It's the old 99 channels and nothing on situation. But with streaming services there is almost always something to watch.

I've got exactly TWO services. Netflix and Prime video. I've had prime for over a decade and that was because of the two day shipping. I'm not interested in services like HBO or Hulu or CBS All Access or Disney. None of these have enough original content that they interest me. The closest I've come to any of these is CBS with Star Trek. Frankly, I'd rather get a VPN service and watch Star Trek over Netflix in Europe. Disney may interest me in the future but I'll skip it if I have to. Speaking of Disney, they're already losing a billion a year on streaming services and they haven't even started their service yet. They lose a billion each year because they own a large part of Hulu, which itself loses a cool $1.5billion a year.

The only other streams I'm thinking about is DirecTV Now or Playstation Vue. DTVN cost $40 a month while Playstation Vue is $30. Both have my local channels. But, for the moment, I'm still on DirecTV because of Sunday Ticket. I've got that down to the most basic service as it is but I'm thinking of cancelling outright and figuring out another way to watch Saints games.

If you figure out a slick way around the Sunday Ticket hurdle, please post up...I'll do the same.

Our DirectTV bill just jumped this month and considering we watch very little TV except for Saints games, Gold Rush and a few other shows that could be found via antenna, it's nearly time to move on. We just need to get a few things in place first.

There are a lot of assumption in this article. For instance, are there really that many people that are subscribing to all four services? Also, they put in the full cost of Amazon prime for the video. Almost NO ONE buys Amazon Prime to JUST get the video. Amazon Prime video is an add on that brings value to the rest of Prime's offerings. I'm not sure there is a good way to add that in to accurately catch the actual cost to consumers.

Also, the vast majority of people don't watch more than half the channels available on cable or sat. It's the old 99 channels and nothing on situation. But with streaming services there is almost always something to watch.

I've got exactly TWO services. Netflix and Prime video. I've had prime for over a decade and that was because of the two day shipping. I'm not interested in services like HBO or Hulu or CBS All Access or Disney. None of these have enough original content that they interest me. The closest I've come to any of these is CBS with Star Trek. Frankly, I'd rather get a VPN service and watch Star Trek over Netflix in Europe. Disney may interest me in the future but I'll skip it if I have to. Speaking of Disney, they're already losing a billion a year on streaming services and they haven't even started their service yet. They lose a billion each year because they own a large part of Hulu, which itself loses a cool $1.5billion a year.

The only other streams I'm thinking about is DirecTV Now or Playstation Vue. DTVN cost $40 a month while Playstation Vue is $30. Both have my local channels. But, for the moment, I'm still on DirecTV because of Sunday Ticket. I've got that down to the most basic service as it is but I'm thinking of cancelling outright and figuring out another way to watch Saints games.

If you figure out a slick way around the Sunday Ticket hurdle, please post up...I'll do the same.
I have been streaming Sunday Ticket via their app for a few years now. The app on FireTV is only two years old I think, but thanks to "gifts" from college students I have been paying $99 a year.

I have been streaming Sunday Ticket via their app for a few years now. The app on FireTV is only two years old I think, but thanks to "gifts" from college students I have been paying $99 a year.

That's the key thing. Maybe I can hook up a Boulder U kid with free Sunday Ticket in exchange for his password.

Otherwise I'm going say screw it and find a torrented stream.

it depends on your morals, but it's been mentioned, IPTV services that aren't legally set up, but aren't illegal to stream are the way to go. just depends on how you feel about it.
I use one now called Hypersonic TV($20 for 3 months). Honestly, I only use it to watch NFL games. has like 6K channels. about 400 local channels from across the country. actually, my wife watches more live TV than I do. I watch all my stuff on Terrarium (now there are 20 clones) coupled with a Real-Debrid account. I don't feel guilty at all. I paid into the cable company monopoly for over 20 years..

it depends on your morals, but it's been mentioned, IPTV services that aren't legally set up, but aren't illegal to stream are the way to go. just depends on how you feel about it.
I use one now called Hypersonic TV($20 for 3 months). Honestly, I only use it to watch NFL games. has like 6K channels. about 400 local channels from across the country. actually, my wife watches more live TV than I do. I watch all my stuff on Terrarium (now there are 20 clones) coupled with a Real-Debrid account. I don't feel guilty at all. I paid into the cable company monopoly for over 20 years..

How does Hypersonic TV work?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom