Is Corner a Reach at 10 Considering not one of them is a Ballhawk? (1 Viewer)

Picks and sacks are the most overrated stats of this forum.

Pass deflections and interceptions are not good indication of a good corner. What you want to know is how much the corners are avoided and completion percentages.

What people have to realize that a guy like Talib makes a lot of plays and is no doubt a great play maker but that doesn't make him a great cover corner. His completion percentages to his side of the field is a staggering 51%. 47 out of 92 passes caught going his way.

Then there's Mckelvin... he already can't catch but he hasn't been a shutdown corner either with about a 48% completion rate. 34 our of 70 pass caught going his way.

Jenkins.. has a 41% completion rate. 28 of 68 were completed.

Cromartie had a 37% completion rate. 22 out of 60 passes were completed.

The reason why some guys are ranked higher right now is because of their ceiling and untapped potential.

Cason is still the most proven prospect. 23 out of 73 passes were completed to his side. A whopping 32% rate.

www.nfldraftscout.com

talib has character issues, so we can take him out of the equation. i like drc, he proved all the negatives wrong in the senior bowl. i'll take jenkins or mckelvin as a consoloation prize, though. that is if the big dt's are off the board.

Pass deflections and interceptions are not good indication of a good corner. What you want to know is how much the corners are avoided and completion percentages.

What people have to realize that a guy like Talib makes a lot of plays and is no doubt a great play maker but that doesn't make him a great cover corner. His completion percentages to his side of the field is a staggering 51%. 47 out of 92 passes caught going his way.

Then there's Mckelvin... he already can't catch but he hasn't been a shutdown corner either with about a 48% completion rate. 34 our of 70 pass caught going his way.

The reason why some guys are ranked higher right now is because of their ceiling and untapped potential.

Cason is still the most proven prospect. 23 out of 73 passes were completed to his side. A whopping 32% rate.

www.nfldraftscout.com

There's just as many holes in this argument as well......with all due respect to all the football conferences, the fact that DRC played against 2A QB's makes his #'s a little inflated to me.

Talib, Jenkins and McKelvin have played against QB's that may play at the next level.

There are holes in any statistic, we will have no idea what corner is going to be great and what corner will bust, which is why I think Rivers is the best pick at 10 and go get Porter/Flowers in the second.

www.nfldraftscout.com

That dosen;t take into account where on the field it was thrown, it could be a screen and a dump off, or a 3 step quick release.

If you go by yds per completion, Talib is the only one of them under 10 yds per completion.

I think all the corner in this draft are a bit overrated due to the need of the position in the league. Most of the are more athletes than ball players. Those types of guys never seem to work for the Saints. I think they will wait on the CB positions for later rounds.
I would like to see them get a OT in the first. It seems like the only positon we do well at drafting. The last 3 OTs we drafted in the first were Roaf, Turley, and brown. Turley might of been a mental case but all were great OTs. IF the saints are high on Clady, i would like to seem them take him and move brown back to RT. Brown next to evans would definately help our run game.

Josh Bullocks was considered to be a ballhawk coming out of college, if I'm not mistaken.

DRC = 2ints for the year
Leodis = 2ints for the year
Jenkins = 3ints for the year

CB seems a reach at #10; not a one of them is anything close to a consensus pick. I would prefer to trade down to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick or -- even better -- a starting DT or CB (unless the Saints trade up for Ellis or Dorsey).

The amount of INT's a corner gets is directly related to what kind of scheme you run them in. You are not going to get a ton of INT's in a man press scheme. So no matter who we get don't expect a 5-6 INT year from them. Zone defenses are much more apt to produce picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom