Is Dak crazy for not accepting this offer? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I got this from one of the guys that's deeply entrenched with the Cowboys transactions.

dak contract.PNG

I hear it is the 5 years that is the problem. It is essential a $21M/year contract. $106M / 3 years he signs today I bet.

There is a TV deal that will spike up the salary cap, players aren't going for those 5yr plus contracts anymore, they are going to shorter deals with big signing bonuses to maximize there ability to negotiate in the future.

Dak wants a shorter term deal and I don't blame him. The Jones' like to sign players up long-term so they're getting them cheap on the back end. Like signing Tyron Smith to a 10 year 100 mil contract when 10mil year was the going rate for a top tackle. He's still under that contract and the going rate is 20mil now.

Dak played for peanuts the past couple years while other QBs from his draft class with longer contracts than his got paid. If they signed him 2 years ago I could see him doing the 5 year deal. The Cowboys want to have their cake and eat it too. Get Dak for the full 4 cheap years. Then get him to sign long-term so they get him cheap on the backend of his contract as well.

If I were Dak I'd do a Kirk Cousins. Play under the franchise tag for two years then go be a free agent.

The holdup has alway been the number of years. I listen to 1053thefan here in DFW and Mike Fisher (@fishsports) is their beat writer. Dak wants 4. Cowboys want 5. It seems neither of them wants to come off their stance, so either one of them will cave, or Dak will play under the tag this season.

Dak wants a shorter term deal and I don't blame him. The Jones' like to sign players up long-term so they're getting them cheap on the back end. Like signing Tyron Smith to a 10 year 100 mil contract when 10mil year was the going rate for a top tackle. He's still under that contract and the going rate is 20mil now.

Dak played for peanuts the past couple years while other QBs from his draft class with longer contracts than his got paid. If they signed him 2 years ago I could see him doing the 5 year deal. The Cowboys want to have their cake and eat it too. Get Dak for the full 4 cheap years. Then get him to sign long-term so they get him cheap on the backend of his contract as well.

If I were Dak I'd do a Kirk Cousins. Play under the franchise tag for two years then go be a free agent.
I bet Smith was livid when he found out Andrus Peat got $33 mil guaranteed.

Shoot, I would have already canceled the tag and let him walk. Andy dalton is more than capable of running that offense. Let Dak see what he’s worth on the open market. Dak does not elevate a team, the teams elevates him.

100 million is more money than I would ever know what to do with. Even after taxes and fees, it’s a buttload of money. And to be guaranteed it for doing something you love. Hmm. I would have no problem accepting that offer, but that’s just me. I don’t have an agent in my ear and I’m not living that life. Lol.

I hear it is the 5 years that is the problem. It is essential a $21M/year contract. $106M / 3 years he signs today I bet.
Not how it works. He would not have to play for the non-guaranteed years for nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom