Is Delvin Breaux a #1cb (1 Viewer)

He is a #1 no doubt in my mind, he has all the tools and ability, just needs to work on getting his head around, which was different for him in the CFL, hard to break old habbits. If we can put a competent D line on the field then I think he will yet again show what he can do, he's my favorite player on the team other than Drew with Snead coming in a close third. You should never downplay a guy who is HUNGRY, and I've never met another man more hungry than delvin Breau! Just sit back relax and enjoy the show!

By the way he SHUT DOWN Julio Jones, idk any other CB that can do that!

These kinda things are academic. He's our best cornerback. So he guards the other team's best WR until we get someone better.

I agree with Eman until we get a better corner he's our #1. Now with a lot of posters saying he wasn't the same after the injury maybe he and/or the team rushed him back before being fully healthy. Let's wait and see how he is next year?

Delvin is a great boundary-man cover corner. That is what he is.

He will not be as good playing inside or in zone coverage

To make the most out of his game, you have to take this into consideration.

So the point is not is if he is a true #1 corner, it is what can we do to use his skills to the max, and even if those skills are convenient to the type of defense we are trying to run.

Delvin is a great boundary-man cover corner. That is what he is.

He will not be as good playing inside or in zone coverage

To make the most out of his game, you have to take this into consideration.

So the point is not is if he is a true #1 corner, it is what can we do to use his skills to the max, and even if those skills are convenient to the type of defense we are trying to run.

Our two best CB's are both much, much better at man coverage than zone coverage. Our DC is a zone coverage coach.

Please, oh please, tell me that something will click this year. Either Breaux and PJ get really good at zone really quickly OR Dennis Allen does what all great coaches do and creates a system that accentuates his player's strengths and mitigates their weaknesses.

PJ's knock in college was that he ran "hot or cold" and that he was susceptible to losing interest if he was getting beaten regularly. Breaux's life journey virtually guarantees that he is the exact opposite. For that reason, I would love to see Breaux playing one-on-one man coverage following the other team's #2 WR every play. It's a matchup where he has a talent advantage against all but a handful of #2's and if he does get beaten early, he sure isn't going to give up or go into a shell for the rest of the game. He's way too tough for that.

PJ, on the other hand, may be a bit more mentally fragile than that. Is it something he can fix? Absolutely. But there's Julio, Evans, and Benjamin sitting right there in our division. Let's give him the safety help and double those guys every single play. This gives you some mental support for PJ from the safety(s) he will be working with every play. He can develop chemistry between himself, Byrd and Bell and perhaps those guys can help "pick him up" so to speak if he does get beaten. Also, even with the double team help, those 3 WR's are so good, they are going to beat you. But perhaps, they don't really kill you with this strategy. 6/78/1 sounds almost reasonable, lol, against those guys. As long as it isn't 11/174/3!

Add in Logan Ryan to truly lock down the slot, and you have 3 CB's (+1 S on the bracket) who can line up across from their WR knowing they have the advantage.

He's a number 2.

Sometimes number 2's play like 1's but they don't do it all year. In his first year with us he looked better than we thought because he was just simply the best we had.

I would love for him to be a 1 but I have no idea how he will continue to respond after that injury. It look to me he never quite recovered mentally.

You answer your question by asking it. If you have to ask whether or not a CB is a #1 type guy then he's not. I think he's a really good #2 guy who just happens to be the best we have at the moment.

No he's not a #1 But He's probably our #1... I've rewatched a lot of saints games, I love the kid but that neck injury was major..... And I have notice he has problems getting his head around while in coverage.... which leads me to believe there are some issues with flexibility in his neck...

I would have to say the jury is still out . He has proven that he is a 2 at worst , if he stays healthy we can see his true value . We all need to remember that year 3 can big year for young corners to break out its one of those positions that's hard to master until you have played a couple years . Josh Norman , AJ Boye recently have shown a jump in play after a couple years
Unfortunately next year really is year 2 for him. He barely saw the field in 2016.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've definitely seen No 1 play from him and some pretty impressive play against top tier WRs. But also what I've seen is a knuckleheaded play now and then. It seems there is a drastic difference in his play from when the game starts or after missing a game or two to his play after he's been in on every down and is in a groove. Obviously the more play time anyone gets the better they are going to be, it just seems there is a bigger gap in his play when he's had time off than when he's been playing every down. If he had been in the NFL his whole career maybe that wouldn't be an issue now but...
One this for sure, I feel much better when he's on the field than not.

Our two best CB's are both much, much better at man coverage than zone coverage. Our DC is a zone coverage coach.

Please, oh please, tell me that something will click this year. Either Breaux and PJ get really good at zone really quickly OR Dennis Allen does what all great coaches do and creates a system that accentuates his player's strengths and mitigates their weaknesses.

PJ's knock in college was that he ran "hot or cold" and that he was susceptible to losing interest if he was getting beaten regularly. Breaux's life journey virtually guarantees that he is the exact opposite. For that reason, I would love to see Breaux playing one-on-one man coverage following the other team's #2 WR every play. It's a matchup where he has a talent advantage against all but a handful of #2's and if he does get beaten early, he sure isn't going to give up or go into a shell for the rest of the game. He's way too tough for that.

PJ, on the other hand, may be a bit more mentally fragile than that. Is it something he can fix? Absolutely. But there's Julio, Evans, and Benjamin sitting right there in our division. Let's give him the safety help and double those guys every single play. This gives you some mental support for PJ from the safety(s) he will be working with every play. He can develop chemistry between himself, Byrd and Bell and perhaps those guys can help "pick him up" so to speak if he does get beaten. Also, even with the double team help, those 3 WR's are so good, they are going to beat you. But perhaps, they don't really kill you with this strategy. 6/78/1 sounds almost reasonable, lol, against those guys. As long as it isn't 11/174/3!

Add in Logan Ryan to truly lock down the slot, and you have 3 CB's (+1 S on the bracket) who can line up across from their WR knowing they have the advantage.

We were playing a lot of man in preseason and the first game until both Breaux and Williams went down. The zone scheme was to protect rookies and free agents.

It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Breaux came back from injury and was playing man and got beat like a drum for an entire game.

Relying on both of these guys to come in and start 16 games would be very irresponsible, we need to target Corner very badly this off season and draft.

Nope. We don't have a number 1 cornerback. That is why I don't understand the lack of urgency to get one.

I believe Delvin is a true #1 CB when healthy. We put him up against every team's #1 in 15 and he pretty much shut them down. Last season he got injured missed most of the season and I believe he was rushed back too early. You could see he was a step slower in coverage. The leg muscles weren't completely back to full strength. He should be back to 100% when training camp starts and then we can judge from there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom