Is Detroit a good football team? Some stats show otherwise. (1 Viewer)

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You are as good as your record right? Has anyone actually believed that? We've seen teams win 10 games for whatever reason only to get trounced in the playoffs. Did anyone really think those teams were good? It's happened to the Falcons before. Not long ago actually where they struggled to beat every opponent only to get bounced right out of the playoffs with home field.

Lets look at Detroit. They are super hot record wise. But how good are they really? Let's take a look.

1. They have the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL to date based off opponents played.

2. Offense is very middle of the pack. They rank 14th in yards per play. One would think assuming we don't have a special teams disaster or multiple offensive turnovers this will not be enough to hang with the Saints offense.

3. Defense is somewhat poor. They are ranked 23rd on defense in yards per play allowed. Yet again this seems like a poor match up for them on paper.

4. They've trailed in every win this year going into the 4th QT. You can say we haven't done much better I guess. However if their strength is scoring in the 4th QT, what about the Saints strength in not allowing TD's in the 2nd half? We've only allowed 1 TD in the 2nd half the last 6 games.

I predict we win this if both teams are even in the turnover battle.

The fact that these guys trailed in every 4th quarter this year is a very telling stat. It shows that those guys have resiliency and it's definitely help build their confidence with the seven wins that they've accomplished. Every one thinks this is gonna be a shoot out, but I expect a surprising defensive struggle at least for the first half. 27-24 Saints

I think the saints win too, barring any fluke like a botched fg blocked and returned for pts etc.

I'm not saying they are weak or that we are heads and tails better. You can argue we are not better since they are 2 games ahead. I however think we have played better football than they have 50 mins in every game. They've just happened to play better football in the last 2 mins whereas we have been a special teams disaster.

I haven't followed the Lions much but they have played a relatively "soft" schedule if that even exists in the NFL these days but I did hear on stat that does not bode well for them.

They are one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the entire NFL facing the best 3rd down offense in the league this Sunday.

Take that for what it's worth...........:idunno:

No.

We are going to curb stomp these guys.

Matt Stafford is one of the most under appreciated players in the NFL. The only reason the Lions are even relevant is because Stafford won't let them lose.

I've used the analogy before, but I'll say it again. The Lions are the person at a blackjack table that goes all in every hand and wins.
It won't last.

Don't ask the '02 Saints about an opponent that is too weak. They were 9-4, and lost their last 3 games to sub-.500 teams... one of which was 1-13 at the time! They then missed the playoffs.

2002 New Orleans Saints Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

We need to come in ready. We do that, we'll win... no matter the opponent.

:gosaints:

I don't want to look at that link bc I think that was the year the Browns (led by Crouch iirc) won the game on the last play w a Hail Mary...

[QUOTEWe've only allowed 1 TD in the 2nd half the last 6 games.[/QUOTE]

Anybody else get happy pants when reading this? I hope the offense comes out gun ablazin, it'd be nice if we take the early lead, hold the lead by at least 1 by halftime and control the game in the second half, I think we win this one 45-31

I don't want to look at that link bc I think that was the year the Browns (led by Crouch iirc) won the game on the last play w a Hail Mary...

Anyone else remember couch's post game interview about the hail Mary...."it was neat", I knew right then and there that guy was to soft to amount to the hype they pumped up his *** to be a savior of a franchise lol

The Lions do have the decided advantage in Special Teams.

If we get a big lead, that will take ST out of the game.

If it's close, I'm worried.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom