Is Edelman a HOF Reciever (Recently just announced retirement) (1 Viewer)

Is Edelman a HOF Player

• yes

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • no

Votes: 151 83.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 14 7.7%

• Total voters
There are no guidelines to "what it takes" to be a HOF player. I like the post that said "not all HOF are created equal". This vote shouldn't have anything to do with 40 times, build, etc. If the barometer has anything to do with exceptional production when it counted the most, he should be considered.

There are no guidelines to "what it takes" to be a HOF player. I like the post that said "not all HOF are created equal". This vote shouldn't have anything to do with 40 times, build, etc. If the barometer has anything to do with exceptional production when it counted the most, he should be considered.
There are guidelines. To make it into the HOF, at some point you have to be considered the best (or one of the best) for a period of time or even at some point at minimum, or in totality. At no point did Edelman lead the league in anything or was among the best at anything. Good and dependable player, but never among the best or elite. HOF is for the elite.

No. He has only three 1,000+ yard seasons in 11 years and those were the only 16 game seasons for him. He has never had more than 7 receiving TDs in a season. There was no point in his career where anyone would have considered him a top 5 and maybe not top 10 in the league.
Right?

He has 36 touchdowns (41 if you count the postseason) in 11 years. Michael Thomas already has 32 (36 including playoffs).

He also never made a pro bowl or all pro team. I know the pro bowl is largely a popularity contest, but if you couldn't even make 1, then it probably isn't a good sign for your hall of fame candidacy.

And while his playoff catch numbers are outstanding, his yards per game, yards per catch, and total touchdowns in the playoffs are dwarfed by non-hall-of-famer Hines Ward (Ward has played in 1 less playoff game).

Edelman was a really good player who had some awesome moments in the playoffs. But he is not even close to being in the HoF.

Yes. He is a HoF. Won a SB MVP with Brady as his QB. Guy was as clutch as they come and his stats are good enough. He is the definition of an impact player.
Which stats?

Number of playoff catches is about the only stand out stat that he has.

Only had 3 thousand yard seasons (was only over 600 yards 2 more times), and didn't have many tds (even in the playoffs).

Id say yes after taking over Wes Welkers role he had 108 receptions in 14 postseason games. His postseason career total of 118 catches is second to Jerry Rice's total of 151. Granted his regular season numbers arent real high, but when it counted the most he came through in the postseason. Including that legendary shoestring catch that helped The Patriots rally and beat the Falcons.

Absolutely not!

Look at Hines Ward career and then look at His career.

That's all the proof you need

No way. Too many better than him that still aren't in.

Absolutely not!

If Hines Ward isn't in I don't see how anyone can argue for Edleman.

Regular Season
Ward 1,000-12,083-85 6 1,000 yard seasons
Edleman 620-6,822-36 3 1,000 yard seasons

Playoffs

Ward 88-1181-10
Edleman 118-1442-5

Ward 2 Super Bowl wins
Edleman 3 Super Bowl wins and an MVP

Absolutely not!

If Hines Ward isn't in I don't see how anyone can argue for Edleman.

Regular Season
Ward 1,000-12,083-85 6 1,000 yard seasons
Edleman 620-6,822-36 3 1,000 yard seasons

Playoffs

Ward 88-1181-10
Edleman 118-1442-5

Ward 2 Super Bowl wins
Edleman 3 Super Bowl wins and an MVP
I agree hines ward should be in.

A lil fun fact while looking up All-Time WRs. The two all time leading WRs, Rice and Fitzgerald have a career time arc that spans from 1985-2020. If Fitzgerald comes back this year then 2021. Only one season of their careers overlapped that was 2004. So for 36 years the NFL has had either Rice or Fitzgerald in it.

Edelman has no shot at the Hall of Fame. Cut it out. Wes Welker has a better shot.

75th in receptions
156th in receiving yardage
261st in receiving TDS

There are guidelines. To make it into the HOF, at some point you have to be considered the best (or one of the best) for a period of time or even at some point at minimum, or in totality. At no point did Edelman lead the league in anything or was among the best at anything. Good and dependable player, but never among the best or elite. HOF is for the elite.
I guess I'm struggling to find those guidelines to be nominated. Maybe you can help. Here is the HOF site and a synopsis of the process.

I would say no...BUT, the HOF has turned into the "Hall of popular players with rings who were pretty good". I think he ends up getting in due to the Patriots success more than his success but/and he was a part of it. Not first ballot, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in at some point. I think it all depends on how the Pat's dynasty is perceived when the voting he would be included in happens in future.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom