Is Edelman a HOF Reciever (Recently just announced retirement) (1 Viewer)

Is Edelman a HOF Player

• yes

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • no

Votes: 151 83.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 14 7.7%

• Total voters
I guess I'm struggling to find those guidelines to be nominated. Maybe you can help. Here is the HOF site and a synopsis of the process.

It’s the guidelines that each voter uses as a barometer to decide. Voters can get over 100 names a year for entry to the HOF. As each year passes, so does the bar. The HOF had its first selection in 1963. Players stats have greatly inflated since then. Although, each player should be critiqued based on the era they played in. Edelman has played in the most recent modern era. He was never elite, he was never a leader in any statistical category at his position, he was never the focal point on his team, only made 1 pro bowl as an alternate, his stats are not that great honestly, and as much as his postseason stats are good, he never really dominated a postseason run. The bar was already set way too high for resume. He’s just not HOF worthy by voter’s standards. Too many better players are in line in front of him. And I still can’t believe that this topic is being dominated on sports media right now. How far we have fallen from greatness, that this is even considered worth having to listen to? Like I said, good player, and would have loved to see him play on our Saints teams, but nowhere near Canton worthy.

It’s the guidelines that each voter uses as a barometer to decide. Voters can get over 100 names a year for entry to the HOF. As each year passes, so does the bar. The HOF had its first selection in 1963. Players stats have greatly inflated since then. Although, each player should be critiqued based on the era they played in. Edelman has played in the most recent modern era. He was never elite, he was never a leader in any statistical category at his position, he was never the focal point on his team, only made 1 pro bowl as an alternate, his stats are not that great honestly, and as much as his postseason stats are good, he never really dominated a postseason run. The bar was already set way too high for resume. He’s just not HOF worthy by voter’s standards. Too many better players are in line in front of him. And I still can’t believe that this topic is being dominated on sports media right now. How far we have fallen from greatness, that this is even considered worth having to listen to? Like I said, good player, and would have loved to see him play on our Saints teams, but nowhere near Canton worthy.
That’s a good and fair response about what you believe, and maybe even the trend that has been established, but I stick to my position. There aren’t (officially) defined qualifiers (in terms of stat performance). When players are nominated, each case is considered on the merit presented, and is then a judgement call.

I’m not saying JE is a sure fire HOF, or even borderline. I’m just saying that some people may consider his elite playoff contributions and that may be enough (in their minds) to nominate him. And who’s to say the case that’s made for his nomination won’t be enough to sway positive votes? I’m highly impressed by his post season achievements. Big players show up for big games. In the end, winning big games (and championships) is the ultimate goal, right? If not, it should be.

Last edited:
That’s a good and fair response about what you believe, and maybe even the trend that has been established, but I stick to my position. There aren’t (officially) defined qualifiers (in terms of stat performance). When players are nominated, each case is considered on the merit presented, and is then a judgement call.

I’m not saying JE is a sure fire HOF, or even borderline. I’m just saying that some people may consider his elite playoff contributions and that may be enough (in their minds) to nominate him. And who’s to say the case that’s made for his nomination won’t be enough to sway positive votes? I’m highly impressed by his post season achievements. Big players show up for big games.
Yes, there are no written requirements as to who can become inducted into the HOF. However, you can’t make a judgement call without having some kind of barometer to make a strong case for a final vote. If no barometer, then 50% of players can get in and would there really be a need for voters? The barometer is guidelined by what a player contributed individually while on the field, to what extent, era he played in, and how well the player excelled at his position. Look at Terrell Davis. Dude only played 6 seasons, but was so dang dominant, that you have to give him extremely strong consideration. He achieved everything that a player can achieve at his position or any position for that matter, except longevity. Even he was met with some scrutiny bc of how short his career was. And the fact that JE is getting more pro-HOF talk than Terrell did is highly appalling. When the voters look at JE’s resume, they will say “meh”. He won’t even make it to the final cuts. His name is just a name submitted by someone, nothing more. Just a player that overcame adversity and finished with an individually decent career. HOF is for the elite of the elite. That’s an unspoken rule voters go by. Years from now, no one will likely remember JE’s career as a whole. Maybe they will remember a catch or two, the fact that he was on a Patriots dynasty, etc, but no one will remember him as being a dominant or great WR. All players are welcomed to attempt to get in (hence no real criteria), but you better believe that the HOF is reserved for the few that actually deserves to be there. Heck, some that do actually deserve it, still have yet to make it in. So, why even waste our breath on JE?!?! He has rings, a SB MVP, and played with arguably the GOAT. He’s been the recipient of enough. Plus, there are fewer SB MVPs than HOFers. So, he should be more than fine.

Yes, there are no written requirements as to who can become inducted into the HOF. However, you can’t make a judgement call without having some kind of barometer to make a strong case for a final vote. If no barometer, then 50% of players can get in and would there really be a need for voters? The barometer is guidelined by what a player contributed individually while on the field, to what extent, era he played in, and how well the player excelled at his position. Look at Terrell Davis. Dude only played 6 seasons, but was so dang dominant, that you have to give him extremely strong consideration. He achieved everything that a player can achieve at his position or any position for that matter, except longevity. Even he was met with some scrutiny bc of how short his career was. And the fact that JE is getting more pro-HOF talk than Terrell did is highly appalling. When the voters look at JE’s resume, they will say “meh”. He won’t even make it to the final cuts. His name is just a name submitted by someone, nothing more. Just a player that overcame adversity and finished with an individually decent career. HOF is for the elite of the elite. That’s an unspoken rule voters go by. Years from now, no one will likely remember JE’s career as a whole. Maybe they will remember a catch or two, the fact that he was on a Patriots dynasty, etc, but no one will remember him as being a dominant or great WR. All players are welcomed to attempt to get in (hence no real criteria), but you better believe that the HOF is reserved for the few that actually deserves to be there. Heck, some that do actually deserve it, still have yet to make it in. So, why even waste our breath on JE?!?! He has rings, a SB MVP, and played with arguably the GOAT. He’s been the recipient of enough. Plus, there are fewer SB MVPs than HOFers. So, he should be more than fine.
Good stuff, but understood, before and now. Just going back to my original statement. There are no official requirements. That statement was disputed.

If he gets in, then all of the other WRs (including Colston) should gets in, as well. The only two differences: he has 2 more rings (a SB MVP) & played in more playoff games than Colston.

Last edited:
I think people are combining the careers of Wes Welker and Julian Edelman to even begin to sniff HoF numbers.

I was curious to what that would look like and this is what you get when you take when Edleman's stats and slap them on to the end of Welkers Patriots career. Now that's probably a HOF guy. Too bad you can't combine dudes :hihi:

edit: I left in the boards auto filter for the abbreviation of Position because I thought that was hilarious.

Regular Season
GamesGamesReceivingReceivingReceivingReceivingReceiving
YearAgeTmpiece of workNo.GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD
2005​
24​
MIA
83​
16​
1​
52​
29​
434​
15​
0​
2006​
25​
MIA
83​
16​
2​
100​
67​
687​
10.3​
1​
2007​
26​
NWEWR
83​
16​
13​
145​
112​
1175​
10.5​
8​
2008*
27​
NWEWR
83​
16​
14​
149​
111​
1165​
10.5​
3​
2009*+
28​
NWEWR
83​
14​
13​
162​
123​
1348​
11​
4​
2010*
29​
NWEWR
83​
15​
11​
123​
86​
848​
9.9​
7​
2011*+
30​
NWEWR
83​
16​
15​
173​
122​
1569​
12.9​
9​
2012*
31​
NWEWR
83​
16​
12​
174​
118​
1354​
11.5​
6​
2013​
27​
NWEWR
11​
16​
11​
151​
105​
1056​
10.1​
6​
2014​
28​
NWEWR
11​
14​
13​
134​
92​
972​
10.6​
4​
2015​
29​
NWEWR
11​
9​
9​
88​
61​
692​
11.3​
7​
2016​
30​
NWEWR
11​
16​
13​
159​
98​
1106​
11.3​
3​
2018​
32​
NWEWR
11​
12​
12​
108​
74​
850​
11.5​
6​
2019​
33​
NWEWR
11​
16​
13​
153​
100​
1117​
11.2​
6​
2020​
34​
NWEwr
11​
6​
1​
39​
21​
315​
15​
0​
1319​
14688​
11.13571​
70​

Playoffs
YearAgeTmpiece of workGGSTgtRecYdsY/RTD
2007​
26​
NWEWR
3​
3​
33​
27​
213​
7.9​
2​
2010*
29​
NWEWR
1​
0​
9​
7​
57​
8.1​
0​
2011*+
30​
NWEWR
3​
3​
23​
19​
168​
8.8​
1​
2012*
31​
NWEWR
2​
2​
25​
16​
248​
15.5​
1​
2013​
27​
NWEWR
2​
1​
24​
16​
173​
10.8​
1​
2014​
28​
NWEWR
3​
3​
37​
26​
281​
10.8​
1​
2015​
29​
NWEWR
2​
2​
29​
17​
153​
9​
0​
2016​
30​
NWEWR
3​
3​
36​
21​
342​
16.3​
1​
2018​
32​
NWEWR
3​
3​
35​
26​
388​
14.9​
0​
2019​
33​
NWEWR
1​
1​
5​
3​
30​
10​
0​
178​
2053​
112.1​
7​

Not in the Hall of Fame.....
  • Cliff Branch: (501 receptions, 8,685 yards, 67 touchdowns, four Pro Bowls, three All-Pros, three Super Bowls)
  • Henry Ellard: (814 receptions, 13,777 yards, 65 touchdowns, three Pro Bowls, two All-Pros)
  • Torry Holt: (869 receptions, 12,660 yards, 74 touchdowns, seven Pro Bowls, one All-Pro, one Super Bowl, 2000s All-Decade Team)
  • Harold Jackson: (579 receptions, 10,372 yards, 76 touchdowns, five Pro Bowls, one All-Pro)
  • Andre Johnson: (1,062 receptions, 14,185 yards, 70 touchdowns, seven Pro Bowls, two All-Pros)
  • Sterling Sharpe: (595 receptions, 8,134 yards, 65 touchdowns, five Pro Bowls, three All-Pros)
  • Steve Smith: (1,031 receptions, 14,731 yards, 81 touchdowns, five Pro Bowls, two All-Pros, one Comeback Player of the Year)
  • John Taylor: (347 receptions, 5,598 yards, 43 touchdowns, three Super Bowls, two Pro Bowls, 1980s All-Decade Team)
  • Otis Taylor: (410 receptions, 7,306 yards, 57 touchdowns, three Pro Bowls, two All-Pros, two AFL Championships, one Super Bowl)
  • Hines Ward: (1,000 receptions, 12,083 yards, 85 touchdowns, four Pro Bowls, two Super Bowls)
  • Reggie Wayne: (1,070 receptions, 14,345 yards, 82 touchdowns, 6 Pro Bowls, one All-Pro, one Super Bowl)

It looks like @NatureBoy deleted his response to me right before I could respond but I doubt he is going to change his position. I was going to counter with the fact that you were never arguing over "official" guidelines because you never used the word official. What you said was that you there are no guidelines and you were proven wrong and even agreed that there are guidelines that people use to send someone to the hall.
There are no guidelines to "what it takes" to be a HOF player...
After the bolded you then pivet to "official" which was never the argument. You moved the goalposts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom