Is Fairley a High Risk, Potential Byrd and Browner Type Resign??? (1 Viewer)

I think realistically you're looking more around 7-9 million. IF we can pull 5 mill it's a steal. Would love that

Rev - You really think it will be that high. What do you suspect will be guaranteed money and the length of the contract? thx

Rev - You really think it will be that high. What do you suspect will be guaranteed money and the length of the contract? thx

I do. The "best" 3 techs are making 13-19m a year(best DTs in generally, really, are making 10m or more for those that have signed recent contracts.) I'm talking about him getting paid 1/2 the amount (depending on what number you pick out of that range) of the Top Tier, elite 3 techs.

Also, keep in mind that when the cap ceiling increases, so will the amount people get paid. If it gets into a bidding war for Fairley (if he doesn't sign with us before), I can definitely see that number getting close to double digits or maybe even eclipsing it.

Here are the current 4-3 DT contracts

Fairely actually proved himself in a Saints uniform. He's working hard and bought into the team culture. I don't see this as a high risk FA signing. It's more like a no brainer.

I'll say it this way: I agree with your thought process. If none of us had ever heard of Junior Galette, re-signing Fairley wouldn't cause any of us a moment of pause.

OK - I really like Fairley and lean heavily towards his resigning. We haven't had a force like that in the middle for a long time. He was disruptive for a DT. And if the CBs could have provided another second, Fairley would have likely had 10 sacks from a DT positions = rocks = All-Pro!

Now the other side. Fairely, throughout his entire career until GW and the one year with the Rams was known as an elite under-performing talent. He showed up some games and blew people away, then he no-showed for multiple games or more.

It just so happens last year was a contract year. So many players who underperform then light it up in contract years make terrible FA signings, "Take the Money and Run!"

There's the Fairely we love and the Fairley who is a very high risk FA to sign to a large multi-year contract.

What do we do?

I agree with most of what you said but this will not happen. It has to be the other way around. We need to surround Fairley, Rankins, Jordan with others who will give the cornerbacks another second. I do believe we need to make it a priority to resign him to a contract that works for us. If he tries to play hard ball, let him walk.

I think Fairley was signed last year with intentions to be our future. Rankins was there for the taking in the draft, so he has become the future. I don't think we necessarily NEED to bring Fairley back, I would rather throw that money into getting a premier pass rusher and linebacker (Ingram and Zach Brown).

IMO we are set at CB, we were just very unlucky with injuries last year.

With those two signings (Ingram and Zach) we could go BPA in the draft, regardless of position (assuming we sign a guard also). Our starting D-Line could well end up looking like:

Ingram,Davison,Rankins,Jordan on 1st and 2nd down.

On 3rd down we could kick Jordan inside and possibly have

Barnett,Jordan,Rankins,Ingram

Not to mention we also have Kikaha that we could move all over the field and rush him from a linebackers spot.

The positive is that we were able to see how he would perform in our system under our coaches/staff eyes. We got to see how he trained, how he was in the locker room, and on the field. We did not have that opportunity with Byrd or Browner.

I do. The "best" 3 techs are making 13-19m a year(best DTs in generally, really, are making 10m or more for those that have signed recent contracts.) I'm talking about him getting paid 1/2 the amount (depending on what number you pick out of that range) of the Top Tier, elite 3 techs.

Also, keep in mind that when the cap ceiling increases, so will the amount people get paid. If it gets into a bidding war for Fairley (if he doesn't sign with us before), I can definitely see that number getting close to double digits or maybe even eclipsing it.

Here are the current 4-3 DT contracts

Great stuff Rev and thanks for the stats. So, the Top 11 DTs are making Total Contracts of over $25 mil with over $12.5 mil guaranteed and an average salary of $6.25 mill per year.

Is Fairley Top 11 after his performance last year? Especially since he played on a very bad defense, I personally would have to say "Yes"

Great stuff Rev and thanks for the stats. So, the Top 11 DTs are making Total Contracts of over $25 mil with over $12.5 mil guaranteed and an average salary of $6.25 mill per year.

Is Fairley Top 11 after his performance last year? Especially since he played on a very bad defense, I personally would have to say "Yes"

He was tied for 5th in the NFL at the DT position in sacks.

The difference is that Fairley wants to play with the Saints and likes the Saints. Since he's from Mobile, AL. I don't think he'll go lazy like he did on other teams.

if ******* fairley thinks he's getting some blockbuster than he can ****. he's not worth more than 5m per yr. even that is pushing it IMO the dude is notorious for being a slacker..

I agree with most of what you said but this will not happen. It has to be the other way around. We need to surround Fairley, Rankins, Jordan with others who will give the cornerbacks another second. I do believe we need to make it a priority to resign him to a contract that works for us. If he tries to play hard ball, let him walk.
It's goes both ways, IMO. I believe in "coverage sacks." I also believe in interceptions that result from pressure. Not sure that it's debatable, each compliments the other. They go together like "drunk and disorderly."

Fairley better give us that hometown discount. We only have 6 players making over 4 mil/year. Brees, Armstead, Jordan, Byrd, Unger, and Fleener. I definitely wouldn't give him more than 7 and that's pushing it. 5-6 sounds more like it.

The difference is that Fairley wants to play with the Saints and likes the Saints. Since he's from Mobile, AL. I don't think he'll go lazy like he did on other teams.

It's not that he went lazy on other teams, He got nicked up had had some nagging injuries the last couple years he played for the Lions. With the Rams he didn't get much playing time, but when he did play, he played good. Now he loves it here and he played his heart out last season. He deserves a fair contract, good for both sides.

It's goes both ways, IMO. I believe in "coverage sacks." I also believe in interceptions that result from pressure. Not sure that it's debatable, each compliments the other. They go together like "drunk and disorderly."

Of course there is a such thing as coverage sacks; not debating that, we just haven't had many in quite some time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom