Is it fair to say that coach Payton watched the season with with a more critical eye? (Long Read) (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Having read comments on this forum for many, many years, one thing is for sure...

Fans can be more critical of their team than anyone else. I have read some very strong 'venom-like' comments about players and coaches alike. Sometimes those comments are unjust and uncalled for. Sometimes such comments are based on limited knowledge of a given situation. But all too often these strong fan reactions are 'spot on' even when they may be in slight violation of this sites TOS.

That said, I had to wonder about the helpless feelings that coach Payton endured as he watched his team fall short in so many categories week after week of this past season. Knowing how I personally felt while witnessing some of these epic collapses, I can only imagine how Sean Payton's blood pressure rose as his team became less and less a factor for possible advancement into the post season.

But publicly it's rare to see a coach react the way most rabid fans do when their team is stinking up the joint. Post game interviews of losing coaches usually contain such worn out lines as: "We're/I am just going to have to work harder.", "Give some credit to our opponent for executing their gameplan." and "We have to find a way to cut down on our mistakes." While these phrases might get a coach through an interview, it doesn't do much for knowledgeable fans who can see every tree in the forest!

So this past year coach Payton got the opportunity to 'enjoy' the football season just like one of us. He felt the same frustrations that we felt. He watched the ineptness of players and coaches with regard to failed execution and schemes. The difference is, when us fans cry for change, that's all we can really do is 'cry'.

Now I'm not trying to say that coach Payton would not have been aware of these shortcomings had he been at the helm this past season. We all know that he is more aware of the pros and cons of his team than all the critical armchair coaches put together. After all, NFL coaches see every aspect of every player's performance from midweek practice to the Monday (or Tuesday) game film reviews. Coach Payton KNOWS what his team needs!

However, some coaches may be slow to pull the trigger when there's a need for major personnel changes. Sometimes coaches do what is akin to putting new Michelins on an old rusted Chevy that burns oil. Let's face it, there's nothing easy about telling your players and staff that their services are no longer needed, especially when you see on a daily basis how hard they are working along side you for the common goal of winning football games.

But now it appears that our beloved coach is reading the same handwriting on the wall that many fans have been reading all season long and it appears that some of his actions may be the result of having to view last season the same way we all had to watch it. Like us he saw the hopelessness. Like us he felt the helplessness from afar. Yet unlike us he knew that he would have the power to bring the broom with him and arrange his house in the way(s) needed to keep his winning tradition alive in our grand city!

Many on this forum have expressed the adage of : "In Payton We Trust"
To date coach Payton has given us plenty of reasons to live by that expression. Save for coach Mora(Sr) there has been few reasons to be proud or confident in what was going on at Airline Drive. Perhaps this is why so many Saints fans agonized over Payton's cancelled contract and the rumors of his being courted by other teams. Still other fans showed concern about the issues in his private life as to how this may affect his ability to be a decisive and effective head coach.

Well folks, I believe we have our answer to any concerns that we may have when we witnessed the way Sean Payton took control immediately after his league suspension was lifted. I for one am almost giddy to see the wholesale changes that IMHO was absolutely necessary to get the New Orleans Saints back on the podium to hoist another Lombardi trophy.

And what we're seeing now may have a lot to do with the fact that he had to watch the season like one of us.

Like a frustrated fan.

I just hope he also saw the deficiencies and inconsistencies in our STs.

When the bounty fiasco broke......the Saints org. was criticized for not doing things everybody from the outside wanted. They seemed not to care what the world was thinking. However, they did pay a very close eye on what & how the Saints fans, and local support viewed the bounty mess.

It was quite evident they knew that the support for the org. especially coaches, GM , and players was at all time high. Saints fans lined up behind their embattled leaders, and totally blamed the outside media and the NFL for this mess. It was evident that all the support the Saints FO needed was very strong, and that was the best news that all ,needed. They knew, if the fans don't buy the NFL version of the story, they will not only survive bounty-gate, but will come out of it even stronger.

Sean Payton knew this. And he being just a fan for a year, probably kept a very close eye what the Saints fans wanted, when they measured up their players & coaches performance. So all Sean Payton did, came to the Internet sites like this one, where fans commented about the team,..... form coaches, to players involved. This way he was tuned in very much about just how coach Spags performance was perceived by the fans and supporters , and probably read many comments regarding the state of the Saints D. I venture to say, he probably felt exactly the same way most of us felt.

This is why the firing of coach Spags really isn't such a big surprise for all of us pointing the finger at him. The Saints D was not only bad....it was historically the worst D in the history of the league. He knew that drastic changes are in order. The team finished 13&3 the previous season, and the D although wasn't quite measuring up to expectations....wasn't that bad as it seemed. He knew he had to act fast and decisive, to signal that a change is in order, and warranted. For that he, and all involved, deserves our utmost admiration and support.

So right now, the Saints are looking to fix the Saints D, as their most pressing need. Coach Payton expects that his team will contend in short order, if the Saints D performs closer to expectations.......only this time he will be in charge! We fans know very well, that coach Payton, coach Joe Vitt, and Mickey Loomis took the blame for something it didn't happen under their watch. No one in the org. wanted to injure anybody as was claimed by the outside entities, who lined up for the kill. If Sean Payton is to blame, then his only sin was not being babysitting a DC, who apparently went rogue......ESPECIALLY IN HIS SPEECH BEFORE THE 49RS GAME...a mistake he won't be repeating ever again!

I for one applaud the measures coach Payton is doing right now. I expect a very close scrutiny about who the Saints FO will hire as their new DC.......all this with the eye turned towards their real supporters, the fans, who gave them the only bright spot in these times of trials. We as fans want and deserve nothing less. A team who will be contenders once again. That is the goal for us all!

On a slightly separate note, one of the things I have thought about is if Payton would have fired Steve Spaguolo after one year had he been around to coach alongside him. I think being removed from the team allowed Payton the chance to make the tough decision. When you are there to see how hard a guy is working, and you are going to battle with him each day, I think the inclination is to give the person a mulligan. But being away from the emotion of it all, Payton was able to assess the team weaknesses. I am not happy with bountygate or the suspensions, but I am certain that the suspension gave Payton the opportunity to do an honest evaluation of his team. And, for that, we might end up better in the long-run as much as it stings not to be playing next week.

I think its fair to say, Sean Payton is in the business of winning.

If there is any good to take away from his suspension it was the ability to step back and analyze the team impartially. For all we know the 3-4 scheme has been something on his mind for a bit and this was only the last straw. Hiring a coach who specializes in this scheme means firing Spags. I think it had little to do with performance (or lack thereof). Change was needed.

SP is in the business of winning...'12 was clearly not winning.

Look out NFC '13 (Failclowns, this means you)...Geaux Saints!

My .02 and worth every penny...

Really good post. Thanks

In leadership, one of the most critical dilemmas faced is, "Did I do a poor job of the talent I hired or am I doing a bad job developing and managing my people?" 80% of the time, the line between the 2 is very grey. A good leader wants to provide their people every possibility to succeed.

Sometimes we make really poor judgments in hiring. The toughest are when I hire a really accomplished dedicated pro who works hard, but doesn't fit the culture. This is a killer to high performing teams. And as a leader, when you see the guy/lady working their butts off, it's really hard to can them. But if their cultural mismatch causes all the troops underneath them to under-perform, it just won't work. I speak from painful experience here. Pulling the trigger early on those hires takes a lot of courage and self confidence. But it's brutal.

I bow to SP's brilliant leadership here, and courage

If you look at the discussion boards or hear talk radio around the league, fans can be right or wrong about certain things. But when there's mass consensus forming around those major issues with a team, usually the fans (& writers) are right, and the problem is that the coach is too close to the situation to take the proper action.

Maybe it's because the player or coach who needs to go looks better in practice. Or they're a good guy, or the team worked hard to get them, so they're overvalued--whatever it is, I agree with the OP. I think having a detached view of the team helped Sean Payton in a lot of ways. We'll see, but I'm very optimistic.

If you look at the discussion boards or hear talk radio around the league, fans can be right or wrong about certain things. But when there's mass consensus forming around those major issues with a team, usually the fans (& writers) are right, and the problem is that the coach is too close to the situation to take the proper action.

Maybe it's because the player or coach who needs to go looks better in practice. Or they're a good guy, or the team worked hard to get them, so they're overvalued--whatever it is, I agree with the OP. I think having a detached view of the team helped Sean Payton in a lot of ways. We'll see, but I'm very optimistic.

Yes, I alluded to those things in the OP. Coach Payton simply cannot accept the status quo. He is driven to win and knows that he has limited years with his record-breaking star QB to get more skins on the wall and bring home more championships.

Being away from the game also made Payton extra hungry to see success on the field once again. (Not that I think he needed the suspension to make him a driven man.) He could see that quick changes had to happen for that to take place. He's not going to make one change without making them all... and doing so as quickly as he can!

You mean the top ten special teams unit that had one really bad game against the Giants?

You mean we have a top 10 kicker/punter that had one bad game. The special teams unit mostly just jogs down the field for a touchback or fair catch. When they actually have to cover, things end badly.

On a slightly separate note, one of the things I have thought about is if Payton would have fired Steve Spaguolo after one year had he been around to coach alongside him. I think being removed from the team allowed Payton the chance to make the tough decision. When you are there to see how hard a guy is working, and you are going to battle with him each day, I think the inclination is to give the person a mulligan. But being away from the emotion of it all, Payton was able to assess the team weaknesses. I am not happy with bountygate or the suspensions, but I am certain that the suspension gave Payton the opportunity to do an honest evaluation of his team. And, for that, we might end up better in the long-run as much as it stings not to be playing next week.

Well stated....

I'd like to add that another very important aspect lost in all of this is how Payton "recharged his batteries". Coaches are under a huge amount of stress and pressure and it takes its tole on a coach and eventually it leads to burnout... Also, it's been said many times that eventually, the "message" gets lost on the players who have heard it over and over again.

How many times do teams, who have a great coach, who spend 6 hard years, get to send that coach off to play for a year, recharge his batteries, hang out at the club, coach is son's team, meet some new gals and everything that he never gets to do, then bring him back to coach again....

I have, on a few occasions, before I started my own business, quit a job or got fired after several year when I essentially got bored or burnt out only to move on to a new job doing essentially the same thing with a fresh mind and charged batteries and give another 3 to 5 more great years that I was no longer capable of giving my last job. Perhaps, if they would have been able to lay me off for 3 or 4 months, the could have gotten a great, experienced employee back 100%. But we know it doesn't work that way, you get fired or quit, the company moves forward...

I can only imagine the new perspective and energy the coach has... I think we'll have a completely reenergized head coach with experience... I expect great things immediately... Not my personal expectations but expected based on this fresh new coach we just got...

I just hope he also saw the deficiencies and inconsistencies in our STs.

He specifically brought up the Giants game and their return yards so it's fair to say that something is going to happen with special teams.

He specifically brought up the Giants game and their return yards so it's fair to say that something is going to happen with special teams.

I think we can see an imitate turn around on ST... I believe st is all about desire and want to...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom