Is it just me? ( Facebooks & Youtube) (1 Viewer)

James

Reaction score
They are both exploding with ads.... something new? It sucks.....

They are both exploding with ads.... something new? It sucks.....

I don't do much on Youtube, so I haven't noticed, but yes, FB is crazy full of ads and promoted pages now.

It's almost like WWL radio of the social media world.

Why do you think Google stocks are you going thru roof?

I honestly have no idea what you mean. I use Chrome and AdBlock though, so I rarely see more than 2-3 ads a week on any site.

Why do you think Google stocks are you going thru roof?

Chrome has become overbearing with ads based on my recent viewing habits. I'm about to switch browsers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I honestly have no idea what you mean. I use Chrome and AdBlock though, so I rarely see more than 2-3 ads a week on any site.

I believe the ads the OP is referring to on FB are not popups though. They are embedded ads that appear on your news feed page.

I think the ads the OP is referring to on Youtube are the ads that you are forced to watch before the actual video you are trying to see starts. Those can't be blocked or bypassed either.

Chrome has become overbearing with ads based on my recent viewing habits. I'm about to switch browsers.

If you're not using Adblock, you're doing it wrong.

I believe the ads the OP is referring to on FB are not popups though. They are embedded ads that appear on your news feed page.

I think the ads the OP is referring to on Youtube are the ads that you are forced to watch before the actual video you are trying to see starts. Those can't be blocked or bypassed either.

I don't FB, but the video ads on YT are most definitely stripped out by the AdBlock plugin. I never see them.

From time to time on Hulu one will trigger "we were unable to show an ad please.... yada yada" with a delay equal to the ad length, but no ad, but 99%+ of the video ads just don't exist, completely blocked with no trace of them being there.

If you're not using Adblock, you're doing it wrong.

This. I have not seen a video ad in Chrome in over a year, and I watch tons of online video (cut the satellite out a few years ago so all my video is via streaming). I'm not kidding about the other ads too. If I fire up IE 10 I see them, but really 5 a month would be an extreme month.

Oh, and if you prefer a different browser, or hate ads in IM or other places I used to run AdMuncher all the time and it's a really efficient (low CPU usage and really thorough and customizeable) ad blocking program, probably the most powerful out there. Blocked video ads long before AdBlock started to a few years ago. I bought AdMuncher about 7-10 years ago when it used to be a permanent license and am grandfathered, but I think it's a subscription based thing now.

I don't FB, but the video ads on YT are most definitely stripped out by the AdBlock plugin. I never see them.

From time to time on Hulu one will trigger "we were unable to show an ad please.... yada yada" with a delay equal to the ad length, but no ad, but 99%+ of the video ads just don't exist, completely blocked with no trace of them being there.

This. I have not seen a video ad in Chrome in over a year, and I watch tons of online video (cut the satellite out a few years ago so all my video is via streaming). I'm not kidding about the other ads too. If I fire up IE 10 I see them, but really 5 a month would be an extreme month.

Thanks for the tip. Just added Adblock on Chrome. Will have to see if it blocks ads on FB.

Yeah, no clue there. 90% of the time when an ad does slip through it's a text-based ad. So FB's ads might be more prone to slip through.

Yeah, no clue there. 90% of the time when an ad does slip through it's a text-based ad. So FB's ads might be more prone to slip through.

HA. Adblock says it blocks ads on FB and guess what? the ads that run down the right side of the news feed are now non-existent.

Going to have to see if I notice a lack of ads now popping up in the actual news feed itself now.

Yep, just did a side by side comparison of FB on IE and Google at the same time. Ads are gone.

:worthy:

I'll have to check my chrome settings. I thought I was using ad block already. But this has been telling regardless. I just used chrome on my work laptop to look up met life dental. I just noticed and in timeline ad for met life in my android Facebook app. This has really gotten out of hand. If anyone ever thought the likes of Facebook and Google were anything other than ad companies, they were wrong.

Technically they're both traffic companies, or virtual road companies.

Right now the way they monetize being able to generate traffic is by putting up the billboards and ads. I'd expect that to evolve over time.

YouTube's recent announcement that they're going to start some premium channel subscriptions and the like are baby steps toward figuring out what will and won't work and how much.

A few years ago a number of "pay-walls" from content sites like NYT failed badly.

Adobe's shift from licenses to subscriptions went better than expected.

Dunno, they may always monetize primarily thru ads, but the blockers are so good and updated so quickly I think they'll eventually have to figure out another way. Still, their main success is in getting a lot of eyeballs looking at their rendered HTML, the ads or whatever are the only ways they can think of to keep the flow of traffic high and make money (outright larger fees have usually choked off traffic).

Just a friendly heads-up: A few years ago Andrus himself scolded me for talking about ad-blockers on the forum, understandably, because he relies partly on ads to pay the bills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom