Is it just me thats scared to draft a DT (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ever since we drafted Sullivan... it kills me to see us get excited over a DT. I like ellis and dorsey but i cant get myself around the idea. Ive gotten a soft spot for DRC. I think the draft is deeper at DT than at CB. I just have this feeling that maybe a DT in the second or third is better suited for us. like Sims from auburn, laws from ND, balmer from NC or Dre moore from maryland. I know this board might collapse when i say this but i would be upset if we drafted dorsey with his haggering injuries. but due to homerism everyone on this board is in love with him. He is good im not saying he isnt (just to be clear).

It's kind of similar to Adrian Peterson last year. Without injuries, there might not be any debate at all about who the best player of the bunch is. Even with injuries, they both tend to still put up much more production by the end of the season than their peers.

Yes, it's just you.
Dorsey does not have "nagging injuries". That's just smokescreen from the teams that so badly want him. And what's the excuse with Ellis? No one's claiming he's injured.

The comparisons to Slacker Sully are just SO way off. These two guys are monster work ethic players, the complete antithesis of the couch potato known as Jonathan Sullivan.

The difference is that the Sullivan pick came pretty much out of no where, he was a reach and not even the best DT on the board.... Dorsey and Ellis have been highly regarded for quite a while now, I think that they would be much safer picks than Sully was.

WE need DRC the DT's we have will do, we need a better secondary, First adding DRC and second trading Josh Bullocks for a pack of towels and 2 baller bands.

Nah, it's not just you OP. It's not too hard to see the "ghost" of Sulli when DT's tend to look like they are one cheeseburger away from needing help off the couch (at least from a distance). And nagging or not, Dorsey was limited by injuries last year.

But in the end, just as you recognize, he is not the same guy as our last flop at that position and if he is available I am sure it would be a great thing if we could pick him up.

I share the same resignation. I've kinda already played off Dorsey I think that most of the mock drafter have it right with him going in the top 5 of the draft. Ellis on the otherhand from what I've watched is a beast and not to mention Coach O's recruited talen. I think the saints are gonna play it up to get ellis or bust I just get that vibe from all the information I hear. DRC would be amazing with the caliber of talent he is but for some reason I think his draft status might fall right before draft day as Free agency raps up. We all want to think defense but I have a sneaking suspicion that all this defense talk and the Free agency moves might be a smokescreen for some crazy offensive player move. Either way my hope is that we get ellis

I think the draft is deeper at DT than at CB.

Are you kidding??? This draft may be one of the deepest drafts ever in cornerback. Mckelvin, Jenkins, DRC, Aqib, Flowers, Cason, Reggie Smith, Patrick Lee, Terrell Thomas, Tracy Porter, Chevis Jackson, the list goes on forever.

After the top 5 CBs, there are at least 10 2nd tier CBs in this draft. It' crazy. Unless there's 10 2nd tier DTs in the draft, I wouldn't bet on that statement.

No I am scared as hell of it. It's the number one bust position in the nfl draft and I also remember Shawn Knight. Heck for that matter Turnbull was a dt at beginning and didn't do anything until we made him a pass rushing linebacker.

Turnbull was a DE and took over for Swilling at that pass rush position after he got traded.

I'm always scared when we draft a player, anyone can be a bust. The comparison to Sully is very idiotic. Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are not even projected to be there when we pick and have one of the highest work ethics I have seen from a DT in a long time. Sully is the opposite. We reached big time drafting him and he did have work ethic issues, see where that got us.

Everyone is prone to injuries, some more than other though. Dorsey, even if he does have injury concerns, is not a talent to pass up. People had concerns with AP's health, and although he was injured, he took a team's offence, which had a horrible QB, to 10-6.

I know it's not the same comparing a DT to a RB. But defense revolves around a DT these days, and RB is a very intriquete part of an offence

I'm always scared when we draft a player, anyone can be a bust. The comparison to Sully is very idiotic. Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey are not even projected to be there when we pick and have one of the highest work ethics I have seen from a DT in a long time. Sully is the opposite. We reached big time drafting him and he did have work ethic issues, see where that got us.

Everyone is prone to injuries, some more than other though. Dorsey, even if he does have injury concerns, is not a talent to pass up. People had concerns with AP's health, and although he was injured, he took a team's offence, which had a horrible QB, to 10-6.

I know it's not the same comparing a DT to a RB. But defense revolves around a DT these days, and RB is a very intriquete part of an offence

Ummm...I think the Vikes were 8-8 last year.

Honestly, I'd be more scared for our campaign if we didn't draft a DT highly.

Ever since we drafted Sullivan... it kills me to see us get excited over a DT. I like ellis and dorsey but i cant get myself around the idea. Ive gotten a soft spot for DRC. I think the draft is deeper at DT than at CB. I just have this feeling that maybe a DT in the second or third is better suited for us. like Sims from auburn, laws from ND, balmer from NC or Dre moore from maryland. I know this board might collapse when i say this but i would be upset if we drafted dorsey with his haggering injuries. but due to homerism everyone on this board is in love with him. He is good im not saying he isnt (just to be clear).

Normally I'm scared.

But after four years of watching Dorsey, and looking at Ellis and Laws, repsectively, I wouldn't be scared.

I just dont think it will happen because we'd then have way too much money tied up in our D-Line (assuming we do the right thing and pay Will Smith).

But to answer the question. Draftinh DT scares the crap out of me, Especially in the top 10.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom