Is it me or has FireFox really become a crappy browser? (1 Viewer)

GrandAdmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For years FireFox has been my go-to browser with all of its features and all. But in the last year or so, it has truly become one of the worse browser on the market for me. Add-ons and extensions don't work like they used to. Some have been abandoned. I know Mozilla has been having financial issues and got some assistance from the likes of Google, but are the days numbered for my once beloved browser?

Sounds like your anger should be directed at the extension developers, and not the browser itself.

I use Firefox like a religion, not too big on add-on/extensions though what I do use, I notice that its not those add-on developers or the browser itself, it is the smartness of the URL owners/develpers for all the work-arounds to force the hand to turn most things off or make them obsolete.

My new MacBook hates FireFox. It completely crashes every time I mistakenly run it.

My new MacBook hates FireFox. It completely crashes every time I mistakenly run it.
Had this happen before within Windows, my issue was a pesky add-on ( I was able to guess which one right away), so you might can try that. Open Firefox in safe mode, which disables your add-ons and you can start troubleshooting from there.

Option 3

Last edited:
Sounds like your anger should be directed at the extension developers, and not the browser itself.
Except FF broke all the old extensions, and developers had rewrite them all. In some cases they had much less functionality with the new system. Some developers even gave up because of this.

I use Vivaldi myself. All the benefits of a Chromium browser without Google. Plus tons of customization, and built-in ad blocking.

Except FF broke all the old extensions, and developers had rewrite them all. In some cases they had much less functionality with the new system. Some developers even gave up because of this.

This was a good thing. In the past, the legacy add-ons had free rein over the majority of the browser which was a nightmare from a security standpoint as well as an architectural standpoint because any major changes/upgrades to the Firefox codebase would potentially break the add-ons. The move to WebExtensions allows Firefox to essentially sandbox the developer add-ons and keep them away from the Firefox internal codebase.

Firefox was my main also. But then there were a few sites that I use to integrate with vendors for work that didn't work on Firefox, and I had to use Chrome for them. Then it became too inconvennient to keep switching back and forth and remembering which browser I had to use for each site so I just gave up on Firefox.

I only run four extensions and I've never had any real issues with FF on MacOS. I run "AutoTab Discard", "Facebook Container", lastPass, and "uBlock Origin". I also run flash but I wish I could dump it completely.

My only beef with FF is that it's hard to determine what block tracker or content is preventing a page from loading properly. I can turn the blocking off but that defeats the purpose. I just want to know where the problem is so I can determine whether or not to unblock it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom