Is it possible for a Will Smith trade? (1 Viewer)

you might have to explain this one alittle better... Will Smith has absolutely nothing to do with our DT's and he's way to much of a proven commodity to let him go.. DE's for the most part are hit or miss, we got 2 that hit, maybe not with sacks (hopefully O can fix this) but they are 2 of the best run stopping DE's in the game.. why risk this for an unproven talent... plus the DE market is very slim in the draft this year

Now let's not get too carried away here. Neither one of our DE's looked a single bit above average this past season. 2006 will only stick with Will Smith for so long...he's going to have to have a significantly more productive season this year if he wants to be known as anything more than an average DE in this league. And I'd like to know how Charles Grant is a "hit"?

No way no how at 63 million dollars.

The only way that we trade Will Smith is if it will land us Dorsey or Ellis. Other then that we will take a huge step back on defense.

Regardless of how u look at it.

Will Smith is the anchor of our defense. He has led this team in sacks ever year he has been on the squad. I even recall him leading the team in sacks when he was on the bench behind Howard. Now sacks don't make u elite, but even when this team was inconsistent on d, he was the most consistent. He may not always appeared on the stat sheet but if u saw the game u know he was an impact one way or another. U don't let your best player on defense leave in his prime PERIOD. This is a win now worry later league and that is what u do. U don't see Seattle, the Colts or etc. let big time players go in there prime. The only player that has left was edge, and IMO i think addai is a better fit for them anyway. They pay up and then worry about the cap later. If u trade him unless he is tagged. The best u r going to get is another first and a mid rd pick. So u r back at square one on the dline and all u have is a 3-5 rd pick to show for it. Put Brees in that situation right now, Do u let him go?????? Not comparing the two but he is almost as important on our d as he is for our offense. Pay the man and worry about the cap in a few years. Now if he hasn't proven anything, that is one thing but he has put himself among the elite d-ends in the league. Maybe not top 5 but not too far out of it. In this league of parity, outside of the patriots. U have a window and it is our time to do what we have to do to get us to the SB. Pay the man.

Will Smith is the anchor of our defense. He has led this team in sacks ever year he has been on the squad. I even recall him leading the team in sacks when he was on the bench behind Howard. Now sacks don't make u elite, but even when this team was inconsistent on d, he was the most consistent. He may not always appeared on the stat sheet but if u saw the game u know he was an impact one way or another. U don't let your best player on defense leave in his prime PERIOD. This is a win now worry later league and that is what u do. U don't see Seattle, the Colts or etc. let big time players go in there prime. The only player that has left was edge, and IMO i think addai is a better fit for them anyway. They pay up and then worry about the cap later. If u trade him unless he is tagged. The best u r going to get is another first and a mid rd pick. So u r back at square one on the dline and all u have is a 3-5 rd pick to show for it. Put Brees in that situation right now, Do u let him go?????? Not comparing the two but he is almost as important on our d as he is for our offense. Pay the man and worry about the cap in a few years. Now if he hasn't proven anything, that is one thing but he has put himself among the elite d-ends in the league. Maybe not top 5 but not too far out of it. In this league of parity, outside of the patriots. U have a window and it is our time to do what we have to do to get us to the SB. Pay the man.

So your cool with having the higestest paid DE tandom in the league with the lowest combined sack total. Thats a problem to me. If they both underacheive again next year I wouldn't mind seeing them both walk. It a win now league like ya said, but its also a what have you done for me lately league....even more so than a win now, cause not all 32 teams are set up to win, but all will cut/trade underacheiving players. He needs a fire lit under him, period. I can't justify the money Grant got and I can't justify giving it out twice to players not playing to potential.

He was the best player on our D, well that isn't saying to much now is it, besides its not true. But the best player on one of the sorriest units in the league and still can't stand out dosen't say much. Least Nnamdi stands out as the best on his awful team, can;t say the same for Smith. Now like I stated and many probably agree, I would rather Smith over Grant, but we kinda made our bed on that one, the Grant deal is one of the worst deals I have ever seen from loomis. To much up front and to much guarenteed early and we are getting nothing in return for the investment. Would rather not duplicate that mistake.

Simple way to settle this tho, and all nay sayers hush.... Smith PLAY BETTER!!

different but the same

So your cool with having the higestest paid DE tandom in the league with the lowest combined sack total. Thats a problem to me. If they both underacheive again next year I wouldn't mind seeing them both walk. It a win now league like ya said, but its also a what have you done for me lately league....even more so than a win now, cause not all 32 teams are set up to win, but all will cut/trade underacheiving players. He needs a fire lit under him, period. I can't justify the money Grant got and I can't justify giving it out twice to players not playing to potential.

He was the best player on our D, well that isn't saying to much now is it, besides its not true. But the best player on one of the sorriest units in the league and still can't stand out dosen't say much. Least Nnamdi stands out as the best on his awful team, can;t say the same for Smith. Now like I stated and many probably agree, I would rather Smith over Grant, but we kinda made our bed on that one, the Grant deal is one of the worst deals I have ever seen from loomis. To much up front and to much guarenteed early and we are getting nothing in return for the investment. Would rather not duplicate that mistake.

Simple way to settle this tho, and all nay sayers hush.... Smith PLAY BETTER!!

That my friend is what i'm saying just in a different way. Smith must play better. Going to the kid in oakland proves my point. His impact on that team goes beyond his stats. Shoot if you go on stats, http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4489 david's stats are better then his but he has been known not to be thrown at and etc. which supports what i said. Nnamdi may have stood out but stats don't show it and i say the same about smith. I think we all would be lying if we didn't say that weekend and out, u didn't worry about Smith making an impact. Now yes he did underachieve, but do that justify a move, no. His first season where he underachieved when we can point blame at several people. We are in good shape to pay our key players. Now if we can't get nothing out of grant. U try to move him. Pay the man and see what happens. We have made changes in the coaching department, hopefully that will will change there play. Winning is an infectious attitude. When we were losing we wasn't getting preasure, but when we stringed some wins together the team played differently that is just how it goes. My opinion is that we aren't strong up the middle, thomas is a run stuffer but nothing much in pass rush and at the other dt is was a musical chairs. U can rush from the edges all day but if the qb can step up in the pocket it doesn't do much good.

Will Smith is our best player on defense. He edges out Mckenzie just barely because he is still a young player.

swing-miss.jpg

Will Smith is incredibly overrated by the vast majority of Saints fans. He's worthless in the run game. He's an average pass rusher at the weight he's playing at. And he gains more weight every friggin year. Give him 4 more years and he'll be shopping for the same pants size as Gravy.

1st of all will smith is a good all-around defensive end, meaning he can stop the run AND rush the passer, he can bull rush AND speed rush and he also stunts well, 2nd why would you trade a de just to turn around and then draft a de...????.. you would be just spinning your wheel and wasting valuable time and years..ala george bush.

I would hope we keep both of them.

But then again, what could it hurt?

We're dead last in total defense anyway, I think.
Neither Grant nor Smith would impact an OC to gameplan doubling them for pass protection.
Why overpay?

Exactly how hard is it to duplicate a horrid defense that is ranked as poorly as we are now?
Remove either of those overrated DEs with their backup, and we'll get the same horrid defense.
I don't see what difference does it make.
Might as well use that money to upgrade elsewhere on that D.

This upcoming season is gonna be big for smith. I say if he doesn't produce this season then it may be time to look else-where

he was one of the main people on my long list of dissapointments for this year

If the Saints play it cagy, they could get 50% of Smith's value this spring. If he has another year like 2007, his value will drop to practically zero.

I think Loomis needs to sign him cheap, with his contract heavily incentive laden. If he wants that big money, make him earn it. We're already paying too many players super star salaries for doing journeyman work. A team just can't improve in that situation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom